Epicea user experience report

12

Epicea user experience report

Ben Coman
1. Created fresh Pharo image (build 60269)

2. Opened World > Tools > Epicea > All changes

Points for discussion...

  a. How many submenu items are expected for Epicea? Can we push the
current ones up so the Tools menu remains a flat menu.

  b. Do we need the two current menu items?  "Current session" is
encompassed by "All changes"?  What expectations do people have of how
often they'll use the former rather than the latter?

  c. When people move from Pharo 5 to Pharo 6 and in a panic want to
"recover changes" for a crashed image, they'll be looking for that
familiar feature name, not a new app name. Could the app name be left
out or placed in brackets "Changes (Epicea)".

btw, the interface looks really slick! nice work.

3. Opened World > System Browser.

4. Added package AAA
All Changes window - no dynamic change.
On <refresh>, still no change, i.e. no sessions
#New All Changes window - not visible, no sessions.

5. Added class AA.
All Changes window - no dynamic change.
On <refresh>, shows new session with AAA & AA.

5. Added method...
       ^'something'
Prompted for author, entered 'BenComan'
All Changes window with session selected - dynamic update showing AA>>a.

6. Added package BBB.
All Changes window - no dynamic update.
On <refresh>, BBB still not visible in session.

7. Added class A to package AAA.
All Changes window - dynamic update showing A.
On <refresh>, BBB still not visible in session.

8. Added class BB to package BBB.
All Changes window - dynamic update showing BBB & BB.

  a. Package creation event seems not handled properly, being only
pushed through when a class is created in it.

  b. Since there is a dynamic update for class and method
modifications, could the session creation also dynamically update it
UI.

-----------
9. Killed the vm from command line
    $ ps -ef | grep pharo
    $ kill 29349
   Restarted Pharo image

10. World > Tools > Epica > All changes.
Authorship is inconsistent:
* AAA and AA have blank author
* AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.

 a. I understand this follows on from Author not being requested until
the first method was defined. Did the old changes track the author of
packages and classes at all?

 b. Since Epicea can track package and class authors, can we trigger
the author prompt earlier for them?

11. Selected all previous changes AAA, AA, AA>>a, A, BBB, BB
and did <Apply Changes>.
Prompted for author. Entered 'DrWho'
Existing All Changes window - no change
New All Changes window - shows new session with all six changes.
Authorship is a little inconsistent:
* AAA and AA have author 'Unknown'.
* AA>>a, A, BBB, B have blank author.

12. Killed the vm from command line
    $ ps -ef | grep pharo
    $ kill 30696
   Restarted Pharo image

13. World > Tools > Epica > All changes.
Authorship is a little inconsistent:
First session
* AAA and AA have blank author
* AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.
Second session
* AAA and AA have blank author
* AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'DrWho'.

 a. Epicea changes are reapplied as the current author.  This seems a
semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?

cheers -ben

P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.

Re: Epicea user experience report

tinchodias
Hello Ben,

About discussion points in 2 (a, b and c): I agree with your arguments... somebody that just moved from Pharo 5 to 6 and crashed an image will look for a "Recover lost changes" in the menu and can have a problem to discover it the replacement in a World->Tools->Epicea->... entry.

Then, as a first step we could flatten the 2 menu entries and then at least anybody will easily find an entry related to changes in World->Tools.

Second, we could try to merge both Epicea GUIs into one (suggestions are welcome).

I still have to read more in detail the remaining of your report to answer. Anyway, thanks a lot for it.

Cheers,
Martin

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi all,

One point of Ben's feedback is how Epicea code changes tool is presented in the World Menu. Below you can see the current state + 3 options to discuss it.

1. "Epicea" main entry > "Session Changes" + "All Changes" children [current state]

2. Attach purpose to the name: "Epicea Code Changes"

3. Just "Code Changes" + rephrase children:

4. Flatten

Reminder: In World Menu > Help > Help Browser > Epicea you can find a description of the tool and it's model.

Cheers.
Martin

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 1:02 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Marcus Denker-4

> 3. Just "Code Changes" + rephrase children:
>
> ​<Code Changes.png>
> ​

I like that most. It is the easiest to understand for newcomers.

        Marcus

Re: Epicea user experience report

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
> 3. Just "Code Changes" + rephrase children:
I like that most. It is the easiest to understand for newcomers.
+1
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Epicea user experience report

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I think I would prefer to not have to think about this choice at all when in the world menu level. The user interface from the Epicea window already allows me to switch between current session and all sessions, and usually the decision of what to look at is based on whether I find what I am looking for or not. So, rather then asking the user to think about it upfront, I would prefer to have one command that opens the Epicea window on the current session and allow the user to dive deeper. This would also imply that we would have only one command in the menu item. What do you think?

Cheers,
Doru

> [...]
> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have blank author.
>
> 12. Killed the vm from command line
>     $ ps -ef | grep pharo
>     $ kill 30696
>    Restarted Pharo image
>
> 13. World > Tools > Epica > All changes.
> Authorship is a little inconsistent:
> First session
> * AAA and AA have blank author
> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.
> Second session
> * AAA and AA have blank author
> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'DrWho'.
>
>  a. Epicea changes are reapplied as the current author.  This seems a
> semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
> original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
> community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?
>
> cheers -ben
>
> P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Epicea user experience report

NorbertHartl
I don't like the extra menu. I think going three levels in a menu should only be done for thing used rarely. Feels awkward very time.
Do we have three cases wirh epicea?

- this session meaning all changed since start of the image?
- last session/aborted session the last session that did not finished because of unexpected image stop. This should open automatically which does not work in current pharo6
- all other sessions

In this situation when the aborted session opens automatically it means I deliberately open epicea through the menu for other reasons. In this case I'm with Doru that it should be a single menu entry which opens epicea and someone can choose there what to see. In case of list display this session will be the top most entry anyway so it can be discussed if it is important to separate this session and the others really.

Norbert

Am 20.12.2016 um 17:17 schrieb Martin Dias <[hidden email]>:

Hi all,

One point of Ben's feedback is how Epicea code changes tool is presented in the World Menu. Below you can see the current state + 3 options to discuss it.

1. "Epicea" main entry > "Session Changes" + "All Changes" children [current state]

2. Attach purpose to the name: "Epicea Code Changes"

<Epicea Code Changes.png>

3. Just "Code Changes" + rephrase children:

4. Flatten

<Flatten.png>

[...]

Denis Kudriashov

+1

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I would prefer to not have to think about this choice at all when in the world menu level. The user interface from the Epicea window already allows me to switch between current session and all sessions, and usually the decision of what to look at is based on whether I find what I am looking for or not. So, rather then asking the user to think about it upfront, I would prefer to have one command that opens the Epicea window on the current session and allow the user to dive deeper. This would also imply that we would have only one command in the menu item. What do you think?

Good point. I had a similar thought earlier.  The individual Session
Changes window is almost completely embedded in the All Sessions
window, so the former seems superfluous. The <Monitor> and <+> buttons
would need to be added to the All Sessions window, probably above the
"sesssion" pane.

Two additional things I think are required to facilitate this...
1. The left-pane of the All Sessions windows needs to update when a
new session is created - per <+> button.
2. It would be useful if a new session was created "when the image
opened" rather than when a change is made, so that it can be
preselected in the left-side pane when a fresh image is opened.  But
the file shouldn't be created until the first change, for the case
like a web service image being invoked multiple times a second.

Also one other request, That the current-session be tagged "Current"
rather than just "Today".

I can log issues if they all sound reasonable.

cheers -ben

> [...]
>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.
>> Second session
>> * AAA and AA have blank author
>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'DrWho'.
>>
>>  a. Epicea changes are reapplied as the current author.  This seems a
>> semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
>> original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
>> community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.
>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Ben, yes, please create the issues if you want, and I will try to implement them soon. I guess if they are mostly UI changes and categorized to "first impression count" or something like that, they can still be included in Pharo 6, no?

One thing to discuss: what do you think about the fact that...
- the "Session changes" displays the changes of multiple log files in the same list widget (silently concatenated), versus
- the "All changes" way of displaying, where the changes of each log file are separated.

That was my main reason to keep two windows by separate. I had the impression that in some cases
- the user wants to see all changes together and he/she doesn't care in which log file the changes are written, while in other cases
- the user wants to know the log files and see how are they connected, because they have some meaning
What do you think of this?
BTW I don't like the file names... hints are welcome to improve it

Martin

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 2:46 AM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ben, yes, please create the issues if you want, and I will try to implement
> them soon. I guess if they are mostly UI changes and categorized to "first
> impression count" or something like that, they can still be included in
> Pharo 6, no?
>
> One thing to discuss: what do you think about the fact that...
> - the "Session changes" displays the changes of multiple log files in the
> same list widget (silently concatenated), versus

Well the biggest thing is probably that I did not realise it did this.
So this is a problem for intuitive use of the tool. Actually it seems
adverse to show multiple sessions where "Session Changes" implies
"This Session".

> - the "All changes" way of displaying, where the changes of each log file
> are separated.
>
> That was my main reason to keep two windows by separate. I had the
> impression that in some cases
> - the user wants to see all changes together and he/she doesn't care in
> which log file the changes are written, while in other cases
> - the user wants to know the log files and see how are they connected,
> because they have some meaning
> What do you think of this?

You are right, that is useful feature. But I keep "intuitively
wanting**" to do this is to multi-select sessions in the "All changes"
window.

My use case is yesterday playing with sockets, the image froze half
way through saving (hung at blank white window).  So after killing the
pharo process, the Image would not open. So before recreating the
Image in PharoLauncher, I copied the ombu-sessions folder and copied
into a fresh Image folder and selected each session in turn.  (So btw
that was a nice benefit of epicea versus the changes file needing to
be kept more in sync with image file.)  I only had half a dozen
sessions so it wasn't too much trouble.  But potentially there could
be a lot more sessions and being able to do them all at once would be
useful.

** i.e. I didn't learn the first time I tried this and it didn't work,
and found I accidentally tried doing it a few more times after that.

> BTW I don't like the file names... hints are welcome to improve it

Which file names do you mean?

cheers -ben

On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:46:34 +0100, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben, yes, please create the issues if you want, and I will try to implement them soon. I guess if they are mostly UI changes and categorized to "first impression count" or something like that, they can still be included in Pharo 6, no?

yes

> [...]

>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.
>> Second session
>> * AAA and AA have blank author
>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'DrWho'.
>>
>>  a. Epicea changes are reapplied as the current author.  This seems a
>> semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
>> original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
>> community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.
>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

SergeStinckwich
I prefer option 2 because Epicea name is not really important and means nothing for the beginner. What is really important in then world menu is the function.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 24 déc. 2016 à 09:35, stepharong <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.
>> Second session
>> * AAA and AA have blank author
>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'DrWho'.
>>
>>  a. Epicea changes are reapplied as the current author.  This seems a
>> semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
>> original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
>> community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.
>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

In summary, we want to change the "Epicea" menu entry to:

"Epicea Code Changes" (Option 2)
--> Stef, Serge

or:

"Code Changes" (Option 3)
--> Marcus, Sean

I do not care a lot. BTW, what about other tools in the same manu such as Komitter and Versionner?

Apart from that, many agree on merging Epicea windows in one.
--> Doru, Norbert, Denis, Ben

Martin

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 6:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
>> original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
>> community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.
>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Re: Epicea user experience report

NorbertHartl

> Am 27.12.2016 um 10:49 schrieb Martin Dias <[hidden email]>:
>
> I do not care a lot. BTW, what about other tools in the same manu such as Komitter and Versionner?

It has a cool name that describes what it does. Putting Epicea in front of it does not add information only confusion. Versionner and Kommiter carry some meaning in their name. But have a better descriptive/more generic name would be good.

Norbert

Re: Epicea user experience report

EstebanLM
this is a debate we have with Stef time to time:

my side: just descriptive names that explain them selves what they do.
Stef’s side: cool fantasy names, that have some “punch”.

After more than 2 years arguing... both arguments have pros and cons :)
for example we can have several browsers then we need to identify them and just call them “class browser” is not enough. But of course, a newbie will have a hard time trying to figure out what “Nautilus” means…
(btw… the world many says "system browser” and not “Nautilus” but then we have “monticello browser” and not “SCM package browser”… and later we will have “Iceberg” and not “SCM project browser”… so is not consistent either... also if everything is a browser then nothing is, etc., etc., etc. :)

… now, what I would like is a way to find tools both from his fantasy name and function (for example: “Epicea" and "change logger”)… and a way to list those tools/components in both ways…
Yeah, I’m aware this approach “solves” a problem by adopting both solutions instead proposing a synthesis, but well… this is the better I was able to elaborate :)

Any ideas are welcome, both on what’s better and how to implement it.

Esteban

> On 27 Dec 2016, at 11:03, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 27.12.2016 um 10:49 schrieb Martin Dias <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I do not care a lot. BTW, what about other tools in the same manu such as Komitter and Versionner?
>
> It has a cool name that describes what it does. Putting Epicea in front of it does not add information only confusion. Versionner and Kommiter carry some meaning in their name. But have a better descriptive/more generic name would be good.
>
> Norbert

Re: Epicea user experience report

SergeStinckwich
Sorry I'm for option 3 like Markus or Sean.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 27 déc. 2016 à 10:49, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'BenComan'.
>> Second session
>> * AAA and AA have blank author
>> * AA>>a, A, BBB, B have author 'DrWho'.
>>
>>  a. Epicea changes are reapplied as the current author.  This seems a
>> semantic change from Pharo 5 where changes were reapplied as their
>> original author. Is this accidental or by design?  Can we have some
>> community discussion on this point (I don't remember seeing any)?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> P.S. I'll wait to see what arises out of discussion before creating any issues.
>>

>> --
>> Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "In a world where everything is moving ever faster,
> one might have better chances to win by moving slower."

Ok I see ;-)

Tools can have cool names but items in menus should be understandable by everyone  including beginners.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Martin Dias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In summary, we want to change the "Epicea" menu entry to:
>
> "Epicea Code Changes" (Option 2)
> --> Stef, Serge
>
> or:
>
> "Code Changes" (Option 3)
> --> Marcus, Sean
>
> I do not care a lot. BTW, what about other tools in the same manu such as
> Komitter and Versionner?

Option 3 for me.  Komitter and Versionner are new tools so are
starting their meme-space from scratch, and also their names reflect
their function.  Epicea name is replacing an existing tool and also is
more abstract.

"Epicea" should still appear in the title bar of the window it pops up
to identify the tool - similar to what Nautilus does.

cheers -ben

> Apart from that, many agree on merging Epicea windows in one.
> --> Doru, Norbert, Denis, Ben

cool.  Now since Pharo 6 is the first release of Epicea, and as UI
rather than fundamenta change,
I hope this can be done as an exception to the feature freeze, so we
get it right from the start.
And so we will need to pay attention to giving it a good workout
leading up to release.

cheers -ben

> Martin
>
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 6:02 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I prefer option 2 because Epicea name is not really important and means
>> nothing for the beginner. What is really important in then world menu is the
>> function.

P.S. this sounded like support for option 3 :)  ?