Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

jb

Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

jb
Hi,

if I ty to ceate a new subject in the subject browser in the Subject
Browser of ADvance (Version 7.4.1_pr7.6 from Parcel Manager) I get the
execption

'The identifier Refactory.Browser.UnparceledParcel has no binding'

Trying th load the version (7.6_01, iccdev) from Cincom Public Rep. I
get the exception

'Incompatible version'

while loading.

Is there any known solution for that problem?

Johannes

________________________________

Staatlich anerkannte private Fachhochschule
NORDAKADEMIE
Gemeinnützige Aktiengesellschaft
Köllner Chaussee 11
25337 Elmshorn

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr. Georg Plate (Vorsitzender), Dipl.-Ing. Jörg Meier (stellv. Vorstand)

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. h.c. Hans-Heinrich Bruns

Sitz:
Elmshorn, Amtsgericht Elmshorn, HRB 1682

Re: Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

Hildebrant, Richard
Hello,
        I am also a heavy user of ADvance and got the same " Refactory.Browser.UnparceledParcel has no binding" exception.  Are others aware of the problem, and is there fix or planned fix for it?

Thanks,
Rick

Re: Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

Jindrich Bucha
Yes, I experienced problems with ADvance. It was already in VWNC 7.6.
Probably this "UnparceledParcel". I'm not sure, I stopped using it. I
suspected that other problem was caused by ADvance also.
Jindrich Bucha

jb

Re: Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

jb

I've got a workaround from Cincom:

Please try the following.  In a VisualWorks session using an otherwise clean image but with the ADvance2 parcel loaded (Version 7.4.1_pr7.6 from Parcel Manager), please make the following changes:

1.  Create a new package for the changes.
2.  Extend class Parcel (i.e., Kernel.Parcel) in the new package with two new class methods and one new instance method.  You can put all three under a new 'unparceled' protocol.

         " Add these two Parcel class methods. "

         unparceledParcelName

             ^'***Unparceled***'

        unparceledParcel

             ^(self parcelNamed: self unparceledParcelName)
                  ifNil: [self name: self unparceledParcelName]

         " Add this Parcel instance method. "

         isUnparceledParcel

             ^self class unparceledParcelName = self name

3.  Override the following three methods in the new package:

         ICC.ADvance.AD2SystemOrganization>>parcelNamed: aParcelName
         ICC.ADvance.AD2SystemOrganization>>parcelNames
         ICC.ADvance.AD2SystemOrganization>>parcelNamesFor: aClass

4.  Replace the occurrence of

         Refactory.Browser.UnparceledParcel new

    in those three methods with

         Parcel unparceledParcel

5.  In the leftmost pane of the System Browser, select the "Package" tab, and make sure the new package is the only one selected in the pane.  Unselect both class in the second pane.  At the bottom, go to the "Prerequisites" tab and click on both Base VisualWorks and Advance2.  Use ctrl-s to accept the change.  You may also go to the "Comment" tab and add a comment to the package.  Go to the "Properties" tab and for "Post-load" on the left, replace the template [:package | ] with the following (replace Case425489 with the name you chose for your package)

         [:package | Kernel.ChangeSet current addPatch: 'Case425489' ]

6.  Publish the package to your Store Repository, or publish it as a parcel (right click on the package in the upper left pane and use the "Publish" or "Publish as Parcel..." menu item) or both.  If you use the parcel, publish the .pcl and .pst files to the same $(VISUALWORKS)\icc folder that contains the ADvance2.pcl file.

If you build a .im image file with Advance2 to distribute, load this patch package into it before saving the image.  Otherwise load it from the Store repository or the .pcl file before using the ADvance Workbench.

Johannes

jb

Re: Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

jb

Wow, Yikes, and Thanks ... I'll give it a try.  Has the workaround worked for you yet?

yes, it has

Did Cincom indicate they would fix it in the next version?

not yet (I hope)

Johannes

Re: Error in ADvance in vw771nc?

Alan Knight-2
It is fixed in 7.8.

[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com

ADvance Status for VW7.9.1 on Windows 7?

Hildebrant, Richard

Hello,

                I’m firing up VW again, after a couple of years, and want to use the ADvance2 modeling tool, which seems to be having continuing problems and/or support.  Right now I’m getting the following exception when I try to open it up for use.  Am I doing something wrong?  Or is there a patch that needs to be loaded?  Or am I out of luck and ADvance no longer works and is not supported.  I’m on Windows and using VW7.9.1.

Thanks,

Rick Hildebrant

Re: ADvance Status for VW7.9.1 on Windows 7?

Ralf Propach
Hi Rick,

for VW 7.9.1 you can get Resolution101812 from support which fixes
Advance. Alternatively, you can upgrade to 7.10.

Regards,
Ralf

Am 23.07.2014 17:09, schrieb Hildebrant, Richard:

> Hello,
>
>                  I’m firing up VW again, after a couple of years, and
> want to use the ADvance2 modeling tool, which seems to be having
> continuing problems and/or support.  Right now I’m getting the following
> exception when I try to open it up for use.  Am I doing something
> wrong?  Or is there a patch that needs to be loaded?  Or am I out of
> luck and ADvance no longer works and is not supported.  I’m on Windows
> and using VW7.9.1.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Hildebrant

ADvance Status for VW7.10.1 on Windows 7 and Mac (Snow Leopard)

Hildebrant, Richard

Hello Again,

      So I went ahead and upgraded to VW7.10.1, and Advance2 does open up and works, for the most part.  But when I mouse down on any association link handle (little black square), in order to adjust them, I get the exception shown below.  (Adjusting the association location is often desired.)  Also, ADvance2 insists that the class diagram be in the upper left of the pane, which can lead to memory problems (runs out of memory) if one tries to move all classes in a group.

      Anybody know might be going on, and how this behavior can be fixed?

Thanks,

Rick Hildebrant