Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Guillermo Polito
Hi there!

  We are using Pharo to teach OOP in UTN university, Argentina.  Some times students have the error Invalid utf8 input detected when loading an image or doing a file out of a category.
  I think it happens mostly (or always, i'm not sure) in the OneClicImage, when running on windows.

Is it a known issue?

Thanks!

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guillermo

This is strange.
Can you tell us a bit more about the
        - vm
        - image
        - os
I trust your students :)

Stef

On Apr 28, 2010, at 3:04 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Hi there!
>
>   We are using Pharo to teach OOP in UTN university, Argentina.  Some times students have the error Invalid utf8 input detected when loading an image or doing a file out of a category.
>   I think it happens mostly (or always, i'm not sure) in the OneClicImage, when running on windows.
>
> Is it a known issue?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Mariano Martinez Peck
Que haces Guille!! como va? ;)

The error "invalid utf8 input detected" was a known problem for a while, but it is supposed to be fixed in the latest versions. Look for example this issue (although there are even more for the same topic):

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?can=1&q=invalid+utf8+input+detected&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Summary+Milestone+Difficulty&cells=tiles

Which PharoOneClick are you using?  Can you try the last one?

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26828/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip

If it happens there, do you know an exactly way to reproduce it ?

Cheers

Mariano

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there!

  We are using Pharo to teach OOP in UTN university, Argentina.  Some times students have the error Invalid utf8 input detected when loading an image or doing a file out of a category.
  I think it happens mostly (or always, i'm not sure) in the OneClicImage, when running on windows.

Is it a known issue?

Thanks!

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Guillermo Polito
We were using Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09, the beta one :P, because the course began before the 1.0 was released.
Two weeks ago we told students to download the VM and image separatedly, and I think that solved the loading image issue.

There is a way to reproduce it, on windows, and that version of the OneClic:
- Save the image you are loading with save as.
- Close Pharo and try to load the image you'v recently saved dragging the .image on Pharo.exe.

When you do that, the error is showed and looking at the title bar you can see the image loaded is not the one you dragged.

In the 1.0 version it happens too, in the same way.
Also, I've been told that in linux environments this doesn't happen (when dragging to the .sh).

I'm attaching the log file. (It's very odd, there aren't line separations xP)

Thanks,
Guille

PharoDebug.log (12K) Download Attachment

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
We were using Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09, the beta one :P, because the course began before the 1.0 was released.
Two weeks ago we told students to download the VM and image separatedly, and I think that solved the loading image issue.

There is a way to reproduce it, on windows, and that version of the OneClic:
- Save the image you are loading with save as.
- Close Pharo and try to load the image you'v recently saved dragging the .image on Pharo.exe.

Ok...I have been doing some tests and this is what I came up to:

1) I could reproduce the problem and happen even with the same image. No need to do the "save us" and use another image

2) If you double click the Pharo.exe in the one click image, it automatically loads the Pharo 1.0 image. How this is done? It is configure in Pharo.ini conf file which is in the same directory as Pharo.exe. As you can see in that file (is a text file so you can open it easily) this line:

ImageFile=Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.0.image

So....in summary: if you ALREADY have defined a image in such file, then you cannot drag another image. If you want to be able to drag the image, you have to remove that line from the conf file. With that, when you double click Pharo.exe it will prompt the file dialog of the OS to ask you the image file. In addition, you can drag and run it without problem.

More in details, the problem is that when you pass an image, it is interpreted as "SmalltalkImage current getSystemAttribute: 1"
When you drag a second file (in your case a second image) it is interpreted as source file, not image, and thus the error with the encoding.
Put a breakpoint in the method startUpAfterLogin if you want to experiment a bit.

At least with this, you know why it was the problem and how to avoid it. Maybe we should raise a better error or even better, if I have already defined an image in the ini file, but I drag another one, override the first one and take the dragged one. I will ask in Pharodev mailing list.

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

thomas_costick
Hi. I just want to let people know that this problem is listed on the Pharo application issues page at http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges

Issue 2374: Dragging a .image in a Windows VM raises an error

Hope this is fixed soon, since it also affects anyone working through the early sections of the "Pharo By Example" book.

--Thomas.

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks thomas.
This problem was reported on the squeak-vm mailing-list and there is not much we can do.
May be I'm wrong.

Stef

On Jun 22, 2010, at 6:38 PM, tgc05 wrote:

> Hi. I just want to let people know that this problem is listed on the Pharo
> application issues page at
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges
>
> Issue 2374: Dragging a .image in a Windows VM raises an error
>
> Hope this is fixed soon, since it also affects anyone working through the
> early sections of the "Pharo By Example" book.
>
> --Thomas.

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

thomas_costick
Hi Stef.  I would have thought the VM initialize processing could be changed to avoid this problem, but I don't know the details  :)

If the problem cannot be fixed, or if it will take time, it would be good to have the work-around described in the "Pharo By Example" book. That is, to comment out or delete the line "ImageFile=Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.0.image" in Pharo.ini.  Without this fix, a new Smalltalker will hit the error as soon as they try to use the PBE.image file.

Image file management is one of those things that I like to get a clear understanding of at an early stage when learning a new dev environment.

--Thomas Costick

Hi Thomas. I cope paste here what I said before:

"More in details, the problem is that when you pass an image, it is interpreted as "SmalltalkImage current getSystemAttribute: 1"
When you drag a second file (in your case a second image) it is interpreted as source file, not image, and thus the error with the encoding.
Put a breakpoint in the method startUpAfterLogin if you want to experiment a bit.

At least with this, you know why it was the problem and how to avoid it. Maybe we should raise a better error or even better, if I have already defined an image in the ini file, but I drag another one, override the first one and take the dragged one. I will ask in Pharodev mailing list."

So what I recommend you is to put a breakpoint in startUpAfterLogin  and start to play. And let us know what happens.

Thanks

Mariano

If the problem cannot be fixed, or if it will take time, it would be good to have the work-around described in the "Pharo By Example" book. That is, to comment out or delete the line "ImageFile=Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.0.image" in Pharo.ini.  Without this fix, a new Smalltalker will hit the error as soon as they try to use the PBE.image file.

Image file management is one of those things that I like to get a clear understanding of at an early stage when learning a new dev environment.

--Thomas Costick
May be I'm wrong.

Stef

On Jun 22, 2010, at 6:38 PM, tgc05 wrote:

> Hi. I just want to let people know that this problem is listed on the Pharo
> application issues page at
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges

> Issue 2374: Dragging a .image in a Windows VM raises an error
>
> Hope this is fixed soon, since it also affects anyone working through the
> early sections of the "Pharo By Example" book.
>
> --Thomas.

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

thomas_costick
Hi Mariano.  Thanks for this.  I'm new to Pharo and have been away from Smalltalk for several years (way too long), so right now I am not ready to start debugging the code; perhaps I will return to this when I have recovered my "Smalltalk legs" :)   I had hoped someone more in touch with the Pharo project would be able to fix this.

Meanwhile, the point I want to emphasise is that this error shows up for anyone working through the Pharo By Example book.  Right from the start, the book advises the reader to use a different image file from the quick start one provided with Pharo.  Doing this, the reader will immediately run into the "Error:invalid utf8 input detected." problem.

This could be enough to put some people off the idea of learning Smalltalk, which I am sure we all want to avoid.  Even if they persevere, the impression this gives if that either Pharo is a bit flakey or the PBE book is at fault, or the PBE.image file is bad.  Or all of these!

As an aside, I would very much like to be able to contribute errata notices and suggestions for improved wording for the PBE book.  I have ordered the hard-copy from Lulu.com and will markup any errors and clarifications as I progress through the book.  Does anyone know if I can log errata etc online somewhere?

--Thomas.

On Jun 24, 2010, at 12:46 PM, tgc05 wrote:

> Hi Mariano.  Thanks for this.  I'm new to Pharo and have been away from
> Smalltalk for several years (way too long), so right now I am not ready to
> start debugging the code; perhaps I will return to this when I have
> recovered my "Smalltalk legs" :)

the debugger is your best friend do not close it.
But I understand your current problem

>   I had hoped someone more in touch with
> the Pharo project would be able to fix this.

Yes the problem is that we should get a PC for that :)
We will improve

> Meanwhile, the point I want to emphasise is that this error shows up for
> anyone working through the Pharo By Example book.  Right from the start, the
> book advises the reader to use a different image file from the quick start
> one provided with Pharo.  Doing this, the reader will immediately run into
> the "Error:invalid utf8 input detected." problem.
>
> This could be enough to put some people off the idea of learning Smalltalk,
> which I am sure we all want to avoid.  Even if they persevere, the
> impression this gives if that either Pharo is a bit flakey or the PBE book
> is at fault, or the PBE.image file is bad.  Or all of these!
>
> As an aside, I would very much like to be able to contribute errata notices
> and suggestions for improved wording for the PBE book.  I have ordered the
> hard-copy from Lulu.com and will markup any errors and clarifications as I
> progress through the book.  Does anyone know if I can log errata etc online
> somewhere?

normally on the pharo by example web site
else send that to the discussion list there.

Stef

> --Thomas.

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Mariano can you open a ticket with this problem?

On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM, tgc05 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stef.  I would have thought the VM initialize processing could be changed to avoid this problem, but I don't know the details  :)
>

> Hi Thomas. I cope paste here what I said before:
>
> "More in details, the problem is that when you pass an image, it is interpreted as "SmalltalkImage current getSystemAttribute: 1"
> When you drag a second file (in your case a second image) it is interpreted as source file, not image, and thus the error with the encoding.
> Put a breakpoint in the method startUpAfterLogin if you want to experiment a bit.
>
> At least with this, you know why it was the problem and how to avoid it. Maybe we should raise a better error or even better, if I have already defined an image in the ini file, but I drag another one, override the first one and take the dragged one. I will ask in Pharodev mailing list."
>
> So what I recommend you is to put a breakpoint in startUpAfterLogin  and start to play. And let us know what happens.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano
>

> If the problem cannot be fixed, or if it will take time, it would be good to have the work-around described in the "Pharo By Example" book. That is, to comment out or delete the line "ImageFile=Contents\Resources\Pharo-1.0.image" in Pharo.ini.  Without this fix, a new Smalltalker will hit the error as soon as they try to use the PBE.image file.
>
> Image file management is one of those things that I like to get a clear understanding of at an early stage when learning a new dev environment.
>
> --Thomas Costick
> May be I'm wrong.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 22, 2010, at 6:38 PM, tgc05 wrote:
>

> > Hi. I just want to let people know that this problem is listed on the Pharo
> > application issues page at
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges
> > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2374&q=INI%20FILE&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty#makechanges
>

> > Issue 2374: Dragging a .image in a Windows VM raises an error
> >
> > Hope this is fixed soon, since it also affects anyone working through the
> > early sections of the "Pharo By Example" book.
> >
> > --Thomas.

Re: Error:invalid utf8 input detected.

Mariano Martinez Peck

>   I had hoped someone more in touch with
> the Pharo project would be able to fix this.

Yes the problem is that we should get a PC for that :)

or a "PC". I have my Mac but with VirtualBox and two images: one with Windows XP and other one with ubuntu :)

We will improve

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:46 PM, tgc05 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mariano.  Thanks for this.  I'm new to Pharo and have been away from
Smalltalk for several years (way too long), so right now I am not ready to
start debugging the code; perhaps I will return to this when I have
recovered my "Smalltalk legs" :)   I had hoped someone more in touch with
the Pharo project would be able to fix this.

Don't worry. I lack of time :(  (and probably of knoweldege too)

[...]

yes:  "[hidden email] Example" <[hidden email]>,

I have cc'ed them.

you can find this in http://pharobyexample.org/
on the right where it says "Resources" and then "Discussion list"

cheers

mariano

--Thomas.