Error message on package save

Peter Kenny-2
I have a strange message on trying to save my package at the end of a
session. I obtain a warning popup with the message:
'Package cannot be saved
The package will NOT load if saved in this form. . . . .'
I have followed the advice to browse prerequisites, but I cannot see
anything wrong - the only prerequisite listed is the package itself. Can
anyone suggest what I might have done wrong, and how I can recover? The
image reloads OK, and the app seems to work normally. If I file out all the
classes in my package individually, can I reload them one at a time into a
clean image and recover the situation? I am slightly panicking at the
moment, but I am sure that all can be recovered somehow.

Peter Kenny

Re: Error message on package save

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Peter,

> I have a strange message on trying to save my package at the end of a
> session. I obtain a warning popup with the message:
> 'Package cannot be saved
> The package will NOT load if saved in this form. . . . .'
> I have followed the advice to browse prerequisites, but I cannot see
> anything wrong - the only prerequisite listed is the package itself. Can
> anyone suggest what I might have done wrong, and how I can recover? The
> image reloads OK, and the app seems to work normally. If I file out all the
> classes in my package individually, can I reload them one at a time into a
> clean image and recover the situation? I am slightly panicking at the
> moment, but I am sure that all can be recovered somehow.

Panic is a normal response to these messages, but the package manager is
doing you a favor, and the situation isn't quite as bad as it might seem
because you can still save the image.

The first thing you should do is make a backup of your image, changes
and source files - a zip file will do nicely.  If you _never_ compress
sources, then you can get away with just the image and changes, but I
don't recommend it - CDRs etc. are too cheap to justify taking a chance.

With that done (you did do it, right<g>), you can file out classes as
you suggest, but the real trick is to break the cycle that is causing
the problem.  This is something that is easy - after you've done it a
few times.  A quick search of the archives (available on Ian's site)
using either Ian's archive browser or DSDN will turn up some mention of
the problem and its solution.  Also, have a look at

http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/CycliclyDependentPackages.htm

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Error message on package save

Bill Dargel
Peter Kenny wrote:
> I have followed the advice to browse prerequisites, but I cannot see
> anything wrong - the only prerequisite listed is the package itself.

I think that you may have missed that the prerequisites view is a tree
view. Click on the little "+" sign in front of your package to show its
immediate prerequisites. And then so on, down the tree. You should find
a cycle. To zero in on it more easily, you can right click on the
prerequisites tree view and select "Show Status Icons".

Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: Error message on package save

Chris Uppal-3
Bill Dargel wrote:

> > I have followed the advice to browse prerequisites, but I cannot see
> > anything wrong - the only prerequisite listed is the package itself.
>
> I think that you may have missed that the prerequisites view is a tree
> view. Click on the little "+" sign in front of your package to show its
> immediate prerequisites. And then so on, down the tree. You should find
> a cycle.

Just to add:

There's a fairly good chance that what you actually have is one package that
refers to another class that is not in a package at all.  That provokes the
same popup as when two packages depend on each other, although the message is a
little misleading in this case.

    -- chris

Re: Error message on package save

Peter Kenny-2
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Bill Dargel wrote:
>
> > > I have followed the advice to browse prerequisites, but I cannot see
> > > anything wrong - the only prerequisite listed is the package itself.
> >
> > I think that you may have missed that the prerequisites view is a tree
> > view. Click on the little "+" sign in front of your package to show its
> > immediate prerequisites. And then so on, down the tree. You should find
> > a cycle.
>
> Just to add:
>
> There's a fairly good chance that what you actually have is one package
that
> refers to another class that is not in a package at all.  That provokes
the
> same popup as when two packages depend on each other, although the message
is a
> little misleading in this case.
>
>     -- chris

Thanks for the comments - problem now solved. I had one of my new classes
(inadvertently) not included in the package, but it was the presenter class
of a view which was in the package. Once I moved the presenter into the
package all was well. I obviously need to learn a lot more about the Dolphin
tools.

I looked at the posting times of some of these messages. I know there is a
time difference across the Atlantic, but does everyone work the same daft
hours that I do?

Thanks again

Peter

Peter Kenny wrote:

> I looked at the posting times of some of these messages. I know there is a
> time difference across the Atlantic, but does everyone work the same daft
> hours that I do?

Dolphins never sleep...

    -- chris