Error starting node server in 0.10

Stan Shepherd
Hi, my first post on Amber, so hello everyone. I'm a Smalltalker, and am interested in using Amber for a small Android project.

In the 0.10 download, I get this error when starting server:

server/server.js:8749
    var native=eval(aString);
         ^^^^^^

node.js:134
        throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
        ^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token native
    at Module._compile (module.js:397:25)
    at Object..js (module.js:408:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:334:31)
    at Function._load (module.js:293:12)
    at Array.<anonymous> (module.js:421:10)
    at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:126:26)

It starts fine in 0.9.1.

Btw, I'm working from instructions at:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Getting-started

Is this still the best starting point?

Also, does it make sense to develop for Android in Amber (following the example:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/tree/master/android )?

Too bleeding edge? Am I likely to hit any show-stopping issues?

Thanks,    ...Stan

Thanks,    ...Stan

Re: Error starting node server in 0.10

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi Stan,

which OS and which version of Node.js are you currently running?

However, it looks like a Node.js issue.
After the 0.10 release we switched the FileServer to require Node.js v0.8 or later.
Could this be the solution?

Best,
Manfred

Thanks Manfred, I'll check and let you know if that's the issue.
...Stan

Re: Error starting node server in 0.10

Stan Shepherd
Hi Manfred.
Confirming that upgrading to Node v0.10.05 fixed it.
Thanks,    ...Stan

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Stan Shepherd <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="FXnZ8OlAvYsJ">stan.she...@...> wrote:
Reposting after subscribing to the list-

Stan Shepherd wrote
> Hi, my first post on Amber, so hello everyone. I'm a Smalltalker, and am
> interested in using Amber for a small Android project.
>
> In the 0.10 download, I get this error when starting server:
>
> server/server.js:8749
>       var native=eval(aString);
>          ^^^^^^
>
> node.js:134
>         throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
>         ^
> SyntaxError: Unexpected token native
>     at Module._compile (module.js:397:25)
>     at Object..js (module.js:408:10)
>     at Module.load (module.js:334:31)
>     at Function._load (module.js:293:12)
>     at Array.
> <anonymous>
>  (module.js:421:10)
>     at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:126:26)
>
> It starts fine in 0.9.1.
>
> Btw, I'm working from instructions at:
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Getting-started
>
> Is this still the best starting point?
>
> Also, does it make sense to develop for Android in Amber (following the
> example:
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/tree/master/android )?
>
> Too bleeding edge? Am I likely to hit any show-stopping issues?
>
> Thanks,    ...Stan

Re: Error starting node server in 0.10

Manfred Kröhnert

Great to hear that the problem was so easy to solve :-)

Best,
Manfred