Error starting node server in 0.10

Stan Shepherd
Hi, my first post on Amber, so hello everyone. I'm a Smalltalker, and am interested in using Amber for a small Android project.

In the 0.10 download, I get this error when starting server:

server/server.js:8749
    var native=eval(aString);
         ^^^^^^

node.js:134
        throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
        ^
SyntaxError: Unexpected token native
    at Module._compile (module.js:397:25)
    at Object..js (module.js:408:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:334:31)
    at Function._load (module.js:293:12)
    at Array.<anonymous> (module.js:421:10)
    at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:126:26)

It starts fine in 0.9.1.

Btw, I'm working from instructions at:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Getting-started

Is this still the best starting point?

Also, does it make sense to develop for Android in Amber (following the example:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/tree/master/android )?

Too bleeding edge? Am I likely to hit any show-stopping issues?

Thanks,    ...Stan

Re: Error starting node server in 0.10

Manfred Kröhnert

Hi Stan,

Welcome to the Amber mailinglist.

Am 02.05.2013 08:03 schrieb "stan shepherd" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, my first post on Amber, so hello everyone. I'm a Smalltalker, and am interested in using Amber for a small Android project.
>
> In the 0.10 download, I get this error when starting server:
>
> server/server.js:8749
>     var native=eval(aString);
>          ^^^^^^
>
> node.js:134
>         throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
>         ^
> SyntaxError: Unexpected token native
>     at Module._compile (module.js:397:25)
>     at Object..js (module.js:408:10)
>     at Module.load (module.js:334:31)
>     at Function._load (module.js:293:12)
>     at Array.<anonymous> (module.js:421:10)
>     at EventEmitter._tickCallback (node.js:126:26)

Since 0.10 a newer version of Node.js it's required.
I think it is version 0.8 but you can check this in the package.json file.

> It starts fine in 0.9.1.
>
> Btw, I'm working from instructions at:
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Getting-started
>
> Is this still the best starting point?

Yes.

> Also, does it make sense to develop for Android in Amber (following the example:
> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/tree/master/android )?
>
> Too bleeding edge? Am I likely to hit any show-stopping issues?

The instructions haven't been updated to latest Amber/Android versions.
But you can still test if it works.
Updates are welcome :-)

> Thanks,    ...Stan

Best,