Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

bpi

Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

bpi
Hi,

I have just installed vw7.4nc from an install CD on Mac OS X. I used the
default settings and the installer was doing its work just fine. However,
when double-click on VisualNC.command, I get the following error:

Last login: Sat Jun  3 18:20:04 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
/Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/VisualNC.command; exit
[g4dual:~] bernhard% /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/VisualNC.command; exit
2006-06-03 18:28:57.340 open[338] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -10827 for
application
/Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/vwmacx path
/Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im.
2006-06-03 18:28:57.340 open[338] Couldn't open file:
/Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im
logout
[Prozess beendet]

I searched for this on the net and on this newsgroup but did not really find
a solution. Can someone help me, please?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

Martin McClure
Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just installed vw7.4nc from an install CD on Mac OS X. I used the
> default settings and the installer was doing its work just fine. However,
> when double-click on VisualNC.command, I get the following error:
>
> Last login: Sat Jun  3 18:20:04 on ttyp1
> Welcome to Darwin!
> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/VisualNC.command; exit
> [g4dual:~] bernhard% /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/VisualNC.command; exit
> 2006-06-03 18:28:57.340 open[338] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -10827 for
> application
> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/vwmacx path
> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im.
> 2006-06-03 18:28:57.340 open[338] Couldn't open file:
> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im
> logout
> [Prozess beendet]
>
> I searched for this on the net and on this newsgroup but did not really
> find
> a solution. Can someone help me, please?

Hi Bernhard,

Does the file it's looking for,
/Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im,  exist?

If it exists, do you have read permission to it? This file should have
been installed by the installer as part of the VisualWorks base package.

Regards,

-Martin

bpi

Re: Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

bpi
(And once again to the whole list... Sorry, Martin!)

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer! I have managed in the meantime to start the image by
setting the default application for .im files and double-clicking
visualnc.im. However, I would very much like to know, why this command
fails. This might help to improve the out-of-the-box experience for other
users.

From: "Martin McClure" <[hidden email]>

> Bernhard Pieber wrote:
>> I have just installed vw7.4nc from an install CD on Mac OS X. I used the
>> default settings and the installer was doing its work just fine. However,
>> when double-click on VisualNC.command, I get the following error:
>>
>> Last login: Sat Jun  3 18:20:04 on ttyp1
>> Welcome to Darwin!
>> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/VisualNC.command; exit
>> [g4dual:~] bernhard% /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/VisualNC.command; exit
>> 2006-06-03 18:28:57.340 open[338] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -10827 for
>> application
>> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/bin/macx/visual.app/Contents/MacOS/vwmacx path
>> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im.
>> 2006-06-03 18:28:57.340 open[338] Couldn't open file:
>> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im
>> logout
>> [Prozess beendet]
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> Does the file it's looking for,
> /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/visualnc.im,  exist?
>
> If it exists, do you have read permission to it? This file should have
> been installed by the installer as part of the VisualWorks base package.
Yes the file exists and I have read/write permissions on it. I verified it
in the Finder and the terminal:

g4dual:~/vw7.4nc/image bernhard$ ls -l /Users/bernhard/vw7.4nc/image/
total 120560
-r-xr-xr-x   1 bernhard  staff   4085641 Jun  3 17:44 install.im
-r--r--r--   1 bernhard  staff  13661569 Jun  3 17:44 visual.sou
-rwxr-xr-x   1 bernhard  staff  15336676 Jun  3 17:44 visualnc.im
-r--r--r--   1 bernhard  staff   6622487 Jun  3 17:44 visualnc.im.zip

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Bernhard Pieber wrote:

> (And once again to the whole list... Sorry, Martin!)
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for your answer! I have managed in the meantime to start the
> image by
> setting the default application for .im files and double-clicking
> visualnc.im. However, I would very much like to know, why this command
> fails. This might help to improve the out-of-the-box experience for other
> users.

The script works if you remove the "/Contents/MaxOS/vwmcx" part after
visual.app.

I already reported this bug when 7.4 was in beta stage, don't know why
it is still there.

Holger

Re: Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

stéphane ducasse-2

On 3 juin 06, at 22:28, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> Bernhard Pieber wrote:
>> (And once again to the whole list... Sorry, Martin!)
>> Hi Martin,
>> Thanks for your answer! I have managed in the meantime to start
>> the image by
>> setting the default application for .im files and double-clicking
>> visualnc.im. However, I would very much like to know, why this
>> command
>> fails. This might help to improve the out-of-the-box experience
>> for other
>> users.
>
> The script works if you remove the "/Contents/MaxOS/vwmcx" part
> after visual.app.
>
> I already reported this bug when 7.4 was in beta stage, don't know
> why it is still there.

may be lack of committed testers or lack of process. Certainly lack
of time.
I often proposed my services as tester on mac but I stopped.

Re: Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

Alan Knight-2
At 05:05 PM 03/06/2006, stéphane ducasse wrote:

>On 3 juin 06, at 22:28, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
>
>>Bernhard Pieber wrote:
>>>(And once again to the whole list... Sorry, Martin!)
>>>Hi Martin,
>>>Thanks for your answer! I have managed in the meantime to start
>>>the image by
>>>setting the default application for .im files and double-clicking
>>>visualnc.im. However, I would very much like to know, why this
>>>command
>>>fails. This might help to improve the out-of-the-box experience
>>>for other
>>>users.
>>
>>The script works if you remove the "/Contents/MaxOS/vwmcx" part
>>after visual.app.
>>
>>I already reported this bug when 7.4 was in beta stage, don't know
>>why it is still there.
>
>may be lack of committed testers or lack of process. Certainly lack
>of time.
>I often proposed my services as tester on mac but I stopped.

Interesting. I didn't even know such a script existed. I always either just double-click on the image, or put a copy of the VM somewhere and drag the image onto it, if I'm fussy about exactly which VM version it gets. You can also double-click the VM and it will ask which image to use. I don't love the script, which opens a terminal window. However, it would still be nice if it worked :-)

Apparently Holger's earlier report of the problem did not get logged. I've now created AR 50886 for this, although I expect it is too late for this to be fixed in 7.4.1.

As far as testing, if anyone wants to test the MacOSX or any other aspects of the system, they can sign up for the vw-dev program and get access to our internal builds and to all of the features as soon as engineering gets them, and there is a mailing list to which problems can be reported. Which is what Holger did, and we ignored it. But we try not to do that. The best thing to do if you don't get an acknowledgement of some sort is to try asking again. E-mail can be unreliable, and on occasion so can people.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." - Niall Ross

bpi

Re: Error starting vw7.4nc on Mac OS X

bpi
Hi Holger,

Thanks for your help. It works perfectly now.

Bernhard