ErrorHandler page with site formatting

David Farber-3
I would like to generate a simple error acknowledgment message
whenever a walkback occurs, but I'd like for the page to have my
site's standard formatting (i.e. header and footer).  How do I do that?

Thanks,
David
----
1 Squeak/Seaside/Pier site deployed

Re: ErrorHandler page with site formatting

Lukas Renggli
There are nice error messages in Pier if the page is not found or you
don't have enough permissions.

I guess what you ask for is something similar for internal errors.
This is currently not implemented. My question is what happens if
rendering that error message also causes an error, which is in fact
quite likely to happen. So maybe you want to just write a Seaside
Error handler that serves static HTML using the design of your site?
At least that would guarantee stable results.

Cheers,
Lukas

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On May 4, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I guess what you ask for is something similar for internal errors.

Yes, that is what I am asking.

> This is currently not implemented. My question is what happens if
> rendering that error message also causes an error, which is in fact
> quite likely to happen. So maybe you want to just write a Seaside
> Error handler that serves static HTML using the design of your site?
> At least that would guarantee stable results.

I currently have a static copy of the site design that I use if
seaside/pier is completely unresponsive (i.e. there is a 503 error).
So, yeah, I could do the same with 500.  The "hard work" of putting
the static files in the right place and configuring Apache is already
done.  Ultimately it would be nice if Pier could export a static copy
of the site design automatically.

But I've had this question pop up before.  And I'd almost prefer to
*not* go the static route just because I don't know how to dynamically
generate the response I want.  Yes, as you pointed out, there is the
risk of recursive failure, but right now my site is simple enough that
I am willing to take the risk.

Thanks,
David
----