Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

Travis CI

OpenSmalltalk

/

opensmalltalk-vm

branch icondtl/vm-module-load-error-messages

arrow to build time
clock icon9 mins and 17 secs

David T. Lewis avatarDavid T. Lewis

Ensure readable error message for VM module dlopen failures.
If a module such as vm-display-X11 fails to load due to dynamic linking
errors such as symbol not found or missing runtime libary on the target
machine, then provide a meaningful error message.
Eliminate unnecessary check for if (strstr(why,"undefined symbol")) {...}
because it eats errors, e.g. in the case of missing xRender runtime
and VM compiled with xRender dev libaries.
Improve the error message for readability. Add fflush() for stderr
output to prevent messages being lost or mixed with stdout. Remove
redundant and unreachable code.

Note, duplicate error messages on for load failures may occur due
to path setup issues in the /bin/squeak start script, are are not
a VM issue per se.

Example error message for VM compiled with xRender library for large
cursor support, and run on a machine with missing runtime library:

vm-display-X11 tryLoading /usr/local/lib/squeak/5.0-201910110209/vm-display-X11.so: dlopen: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Want to know about upcoming build environment updates?

Would you like to stay up-to-date with the upcoming Travis CI build environment updates? We set up a mailing list for you!

SIGN UP HERE
book icon

Documentation about Travis CI

<script type="application/ld+json"> { "@context": "http://schema.org", "@type": "EmailMessage", "action": { "@type": "ViewAction", "url": "https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/597321212?utm_medium=notification&amp;utm_source=email", "name": "View Build" }, "description": "View Build #1818 on Travis CI" } </script>

Re: Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

David T. Lewis

Forgive the newbie question, but I pushed this to a branch, not expecting
that it would kick off a Travis build. Did I break something?

Thanks,
Dave

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 06:02:20PM +0000, Travis CI wrote:

> Build Update for OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm
> -------------------------------------
>
> Build: #1818
>
> Duration: 9 mins and 17 secs
> Commit: c7171f4 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages)
> Author: David T. Lewis
> Message: Ensure readable error message for VM module dlopen failures.
> If a module such as vm-display-X11 fails to load due to dynamic linking
> errors such as symbol not found or missing runtime libary on the target
> machine, then provide a meaningful error message.
> Eliminate unnecessary check for if (strstr(why,"undefined symbol")) {...}
> because it eats errors, e.g. in the case of missing xRender runtime
> and VM compiled with xRender dev libaries.
> Improve the error message for readability. Add fflush() for stderr
> output to prevent messages being lost or mixed with stdout. Remove
> redundant and unreachable code.
>
> Note, duplicate error messages on for load failures may occur due
> to path setup issues in the /bin/squeak start script, are are not
> a VM issue per se.
>
> Example error message for VM compiled with xRender library for large
> cursor support, and run on a machine with missing runtime library:
>
> vm-display-X11 tryLoading /usr/local/lib/squeak/5.0-201910110209/vm-display-X11.so: dlopen: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> View the changeset: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/c7171f4ac443
>
> View the full build log and details: https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/597321212?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=email

> Or configure specific recipients for build notifications in your .travis.yml file. See https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications.

Re: Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

Phil B

That's the 'continuous' part of continuous integration: when you push, it builds.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forgive the newbie question, but I pushed this to a branch, not expecting
that it would kick off a Travis build. Did I break something?

Thanks,
Dave

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 06:02:20PM +0000, Travis CI wrote:

> Build Update for OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm
> -------------------------------------
>
> Build: #1818
>
> Duration: 9 mins and 17 secs
> Commit: c7171f4 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages)
> Author: David T. Lewis
> Message: Ensure readable error message for VM module dlopen failures.
> If a module such as vm-display-X11 fails to load due to dynamic linking
> errors such as symbol not found or missing runtime libary on the target
> machine, then provide a meaningful error message.
> Eliminate unnecessary check for if (strstr(why,"undefined symbol")) {...}
> because it eats errors, e.g. in the case of missing xRender runtime
> and VM compiled with xRender dev libaries.
> Improve the error message for readability. Add fflush() for stderr
> output to prevent messages being lost or mixed with stdout. Remove
> redundant and unreachable code.
>
> Note, duplicate error messages on for load failures may occur due
> to path setup issues in the /bin/squeak start script, are are not
> a VM issue per se.
>
> Example error message for VM compiled with xRender library for large
> cursor support, and run on a machine with missing runtime library:
>
> vm-display-X11 tryLoading /usr/local/lib/squeak/5.0-201910110209/vm-display-X11.so: dlopen: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> View the changeset: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/c7171f4ac443
>
> View the full build log and details: https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/597321212?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=email

> Or configure specific recipients for build notifications in your .travis.yml file. See https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications.

Re: Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

Phil B

I just realized that you might have known that but might have been rather asking if *your* particular changes are what broke it.  I'd guess is probably not since your changes don't appear to break anything new per https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds. (i.e. the same configurations were broken before and after your push)  Unfortunately, all you can do is guess when the build was broken before and after a push (which arguably defeats the purpose/value of CI) since it's *possible* that when whatever was broken gets fixed, it might reveal a problem with your changes.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:41 PM Phil B <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's the 'continuous' part of continuous integration: when you push, it builds.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forgive the newbie question, but I pushed this to a branch, not expecting
that it would kick off a Travis build. Did I break something?

Thanks,
Dave

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 06:02:20PM +0000, Travis CI wrote:

> Build Update for OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm
> -------------------------------------
>
> Build: #1818
>
> Duration: 9 mins and 17 secs
> Commit: c7171f4 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages)
> Author: David T. Lewis
> Message: Ensure readable error message for VM module dlopen failures.
> If a module such as vm-display-X11 fails to load due to dynamic linking
> errors such as symbol not found or missing runtime libary on the target
> machine, then provide a meaningful error message.
> Eliminate unnecessary check for if (strstr(why,"undefined symbol")) {...}
> because it eats errors, e.g. in the case of missing xRender runtime
> and VM compiled with xRender dev libaries.
> Improve the error message for readability. Add fflush() for stderr
> output to prevent messages being lost or mixed with stdout. Remove
> redundant and unreachable code.
>
> Note, duplicate error messages on for load failures may occur due
> to path setup issues in the /bin/squeak start script, are are not
> a VM issue per se.
>
> Example error message for VM compiled with xRender library for large
> cursor support, and run on a machine with missing runtime library:
>
> vm-display-X11 tryLoading /usr/local/lib/squeak/5.0-201910110209/vm-display-X11.so: dlopen: libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> View the changeset: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/c7171f4ac443
>
> View the full build log and details: https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/597321212?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=email

> Or configure specific recipients for build notifications in your .travis.yml file. See https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications.

Re: Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

David T. Lewis

Thank you Phil. Yes that is exactly what I was worried about. I'll
stop worrying now :-)

Dave

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 04:13:03PM -0400, Phil B wrote:

> I just realized that you might have known that but might have been rather
> asking if *your* particular changes are what broke it.  I'd guess is
> probably not since your changes don't appear to break anything new per
> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds. (i.e. the same
> configurations were broken before and after your push)  Unfortunately, all
> you can do is guess when the build was broken before and after a push
> (which arguably defeats the purpose/value of CI) since it's *possible* that
> when whatever was broken gets fixed, it might reveal a problem with your
> changes.
>
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:41 PM Phil B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That's the 'continuous' part of continuous integration: when you push, it
> > builds.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Forgive the newbie question, but I pushed this to a branch, not expecting
> >> that it would kick off a Travis build. Did I break something?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Dave

> >> {...}

> >> /usr/local/lib/squeak/5.0-201910110209/vm-display-X11.so: dlopen:
> >> libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> >> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/c7171f4ac443

> >> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/597321212?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=email

> >> .
> >> .travis.yml file. See https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications.

Re: Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

Nicolas Cellier

This failure is not directly related to an opensmalltalk change.
It is either a CI infrastructure problem, or an ubuntu upgrade problem.
This is hell. We are good enough at producing our own bugs and don't need any help for that...

Le dim. 13 oct. 2019 à 22:14, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you Phil. Yes that is exactly what I was worried about. I'll
stop worrying now :-)

Dave

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 04:13:03PM -0400, Phil B wrote:

> I just realized that you might have known that but might have been rather
> asking if *your* particular changes are what broke it.  I'd guess is
> probably not since your changes don't appear to break anything new per
> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds. (i.e. the same
> configurations were broken before and after your push)  Unfortunately, all
> you can do is guess when the build was broken before and after a push
> (which arguably defeats the purpose/value of CI) since it's *possible* that
> when whatever was broken gets fixed, it might reveal a problem with your
> changes.
>
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:41 PM Phil B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That's the 'continuous' part of continuous integration: when you push, it
> > builds.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:07 PM David T. Lewis <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Forgive the newbie question, but I pushed this to a branch, not expecting
> >> that it would kick off a Travis build. Did I break something?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Dave

> >> {...}

> >> /usr/local/lib/squeak/5.0-201910110209/vm-display-X11.so: dlopen:
> >> libXrender.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> >> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/c7171f4ac443

> >> https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/builds/597321212?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=email

> >> .
> >> .travis.yml file. See https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications.

Re: Errored: OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm#1818 (dtl/vm-module-load-error-messages - c7171f4)

David T. Lewis

No complaints from me :-) Maintaining a build infrastructure like that
is a lot of work, and I appreciate the effort that goes into it.

I was only worried that I might have unintentially caused a problem.
I guess I was expecting (for no particular reason) that automated builds
would be triggered only by the Cog branch, so the automated build failure
took me by surprise when I committed a small feature branch change.

All good, thanks.

BTW, this is my fix for the problem we found with large cursor support,
in which adding the libXrender support led to a situation where a user
who does not have the necessary runtimes installed would get a failure
with no explanatory error message. Hopefully the new error message will
result in the user saying "oops, I better look up that error message
and figure out how to install libxrender".

Dave