Escaping strings in message catalogs?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I was just wondering why is it that message catalog file requires that
values be enclosed in single quotes and other single quotes within them
escaped according to the Smalltalk syntax? Isn't the whole purpose of the
.lbl file to make translator's life easier? Sounds like the indexer could
just read the values until the end of the line, could it not?

Thanks,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Escaping strings in message catalogs?

Dave Stevenson-2
What if a message has a carriage return embedded in the value?  Then the
indexer would only read part of the value...

Dave

Boris Popov wrote:

> I was just wondering why is it that message catalog file requires that
> values be enclosed in single quotes and other single quotes within them
> escaped according to the Smalltalk syntax? Isn't the whole purpose of the
> .lbl file to make translator's life easier? Sounds like the indexer could
> just read the values until the end of the line, could it not?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Boris

RE: Escaping strings in message catalogs?

Steven Kelly
Wouldn't it be better to find a way to escape carriage returns?

Steve

From: Dave Stevenson [mailto:[hidden email]]
> What if a message has a carriage return embedded in the value?  Then
the
> indexer would only read part of the value...
>
> Dave
>
> Boris Popov wrote:
> > I was just wondering why is it that message catalog file requires
that
> > values be enclosed in single quotes and other single quotes within
them
> > escaped according to the Smalltalk syntax? Isn't the whole purpose
of
> the
> > .lbl file to make translator's life easier? Sounds like the indexer
> could
> > just read the values until the end of the line, could it not?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Boris

Re: Escaping strings in message catalogs?

Andre Schnoor
IMHO there's no need to deploy message catalogs in source form. Why not
"compile" message catalogs from XML sources at packaging time?

XML can be easily edited with various free tools available everywhere.
XML also perfectly handles international unicode characters and can even
support text formatting, which a message catalog "compiler" could easily
translate to instances of Text.

I just replaced the MessageCatalog thing with something more lean and
efficient (all catalogs loaded into memory upon application startup -
hey, it's only a few kilobytes of strings - there's no need to use
complicated caching and such).

Andre

RE: Escaping strings in message catalogs?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Good point, but still a tad awkward for people who just want to do the
translation. Something we'll just have to live with for now I guess.

Thanks,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Boris Popov wrote:

> I was just wondering why is it that message catalog file requires that
> values be enclosed in single quotes and other single quotes within them
> escaped according to the Smalltalk syntax? Isn't the whole purpose of the
> .lbl file to make translator's life easier? Sounds like the indexer could
> just read the values until the end of the line, could it not?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Boris

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

RE: Escaping strings in message catalogs?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I'm hungry for more info on that!

-Boris

--