Essays on Smalltalk

horrido
The SRP serves one purpose and one purpose only: to draw the world's attention to the latest developments in Smalltalk. "This is not your father's Smalltalk." It is incumbent upon the Smalltalk community to use this opportunity to show off your stuff.

For example, what are the new and exciting projects that will catapult Pharo Smalltalk into the enterprise? Smalltalk is starting to undergo genuine language evolution.

Another example, tell your stories about enterprise adoption of Smalltalk. Despite the common perception that Smalltalk is a moribund language, it is, in fact, used in many companies. Explain how these companies came to choose Smalltalk, and what issues they encountered and how they resolved them.

You should also address non-Smalltalk developers' questions and concerns, such as staffing/hiring of Smalltalk expertise, scalability/performance of Smalltalk applications, interoperability with existing enterprise databases, etc.

You can do all of the above by submitting essays to the SRP. Don't worry about how well-written they are. I will edit all submissions and make you look good!

And, please, don't feel constrained by the above suggested topics. If you think of another worthy topic, by all means, write about it!

So, I entreat you:  Start writing these essays today and submit them to my personal email at horrido.hobbies at gmail dot com.

Without your contributions, I do not have a campaign.

At the moment, we only have two essays. We need many more!

Thanks.

Re: Essays on Smalltalk

Dmitriy Kashitsyn
Hello, Richard!

First of all I would like to thank you for your initiative! Nowadays, computer language popularity is a matter of PR (or even fashion), so it's very important to actively distribute information.

Ok, now the main point.

I have a research project called LLST. It's goal is to create a JIT VM for Little Smalltalk that will allow transparent and accelerated execution of Little Smalltalk bytecode by analyzing it and translating it to the LLVM instructions. LLVM in turn, is able to run natively on a processor gaining a significant performace boost. The very fist version of JIT showed up to x50 performance boost, so, generally, the idea works. Still it's only a few trivial steps that were done. Upcoming research in dynamic type inference and smart inlining will boost the VM performance even further.

If you're interested, you may like to read the project overview: https://github.com/0x7CFE/llst . By the way the project is open source, so anyone may freely browse the sources or even make a contribution.

Of course, the project is not production ready and probably never will, because it's main purpose is to create a playground where we may polish type inference and performance boosting ideas without fighting with complexity of a real VM. Good ideas may then be ported to the large environments like Pharo.

Currently I have a number of four articles regarding Smalltalk and LLST. Unfortunately, they were targeted for Russian technology site called Habrahabr, so they're written in Russian. If you interested in such project, I will then translate the articles for publishing on your site.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitriy.