Esteban clone, Pavel clone, Clement clone, Guillermo clone....

Esteban clone, Pavel clone, Clement clone, Guillermo clone....

Stephane Ducasse-3
Dear Pharoers

there are many things that we would like to achieve to offer you a much better
system but we cannot clone ourselves.

Please let us know if you want to participate building better tools
around for example Iceberg.

Re: Esteban clone, Pavel clone, Clement clone, Guillermo clone....

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 08:48:36AM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Dear Pharoers
>
> there are many things that we would like to achieve to offer you a much better
> system but we cannot clone ourselves.
>
> Please let us know if you want to participate building better tools
> around for example Iceberg.
>
> Stef

As there haven't been any other replies yet...

I've been using Iceberg for a few months without any problems.  I've
just started trying out Esteban's suggested PR process for Pharo 7 and
am starting to see issues.

I've got some FileSystem patches which I would like to get in, but once
they're done I will hopefully have a chance to look at Iceberg.

Just FYI, the FileSystem patches are:

- FileRefence>>moveTo: works across disks
- FileReference>>/ is more intuitive, i.e. accept directory deliminators
  in the paramter, and make path canonicalisation consistent (also
  below).
- FileReference>>= considers files equal if they point to the same file
  / directory.
- Path canonicalisation has been tightened up (there's still some room
  for improvement).
- isSymlink works, and all attributes from the libc stat() / lstat()
  calls are accessible (about 11 new attributes).

And file attribute operations and directory enumarating are slightly
faster than before.  This is a fairly major patch, introducing a new VM
plugin (which is why I waited for Pharo 7).

And of course, thanks to everyone who has helped make Pharo what it is
today.

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: Esteban clone, Pavel clone, Clement clone, Guillermo clone....

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks for FileSystem. I was thinking that it would be great to do
another pass on the comments.
I would like to start to convert the example in comment to use the new
>>> convention.

I do not know how to push fixes using the new process. I will discuss
with marcus to know if he knows.
Once I know we will focus on the FileSystem fixes.

Stef

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 08:13:10AM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Thanks for FileSystem. I was thinking that it would be great to do
> another pass on the comments.

I've made significant changes to the Path class comments (of course
there's still room for improvement).

> I would like to start to convert the example in comment to use the new
>
> I do not know how to push fixes using the new process. I will discuss
> with marcus to know if he knows.
> Once I know we will focus on the FileSystem fixes.

I haven't yet submitted the patch which includes the Path class
comments.  I've submitted my first pull request and once I've got the
process down will work my way through the others.

Cheers,
Alistair

> Stef
>
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Stef,
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 08:48:36AM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> >> Dear Pharoers
> >>
> >> there are many things that we would like to achieve to offer you a much better
> >> system but we cannot clone ourselves.
> >>
> >> Please let us know if you want to participate building better tools
> >> around for example Iceberg.
> >>
> >> Stef
> >
> > As there haven't been any other replies yet...
> >
> > I've been using Iceberg for a few months without any problems.  I've
> > just started trying out Esteban's suggested PR process for Pharo 7 and
> > am starting to see issues.
> >
> > I've got some FileSystem patches which I would like to get in, but once
> > they're done I will hopefully have a chance to look at Iceberg.
> >
> > Just FYI, the FileSystem patches are:
> >
> > - FileRefence>>moveTo: works across disks
> > - FileReference>>/ is more intuitive, i.e. accept directory deliminators
> >   in the paramter, and make path canonicalisation consistent (also
> >   below).
> > - FileReference>>= considers files equal if they point to the same file
> >   / directory.
> > - Path canonicalisation has been tightened up (there's still some room
> >   for improvement).
> > - isSymlink works, and all attributes from the libc stat() / lstat()
> >   calls are accessible (about 11 new attributes).
> >
> > And file attribute operations and directory enumarating are slightly
> > faster than before.  This is a fairly major patch, introducing a new VM
> > plugin (which is why I waited for Pharo 7).
> >
> > And of course, thanks to everyone who has helped make Pharo what it is
> > today.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Alistair

Re: Esteban clone, Pavel clone, Clement clone, Guillermo clone....

Stephane Ducasse-3
Me too :)
I'm travelling the following days and friday I want to have a session
to start integrating fixes.