Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
Etoys 5 release candidate 2
More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

So download from here:

And give feedback

or to

last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com

Cheers,
Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Bert Freudenberg
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: [squeakland] Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Steve Thomas
Started testing with my kids, would like until next Monday 4/1 to finish testing.

Stephen

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: [squeakland] Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Ricardo Moran
I'm sorry to say that while testing something else I found two bugs with the step button.

The first one fails when trying to evaluate a test condition involving a function (like abs, random, and such). The fix is trivial, but I might be missing something:

CompoundTileMorph>>evaluateTestPart
| condition |
condition := testPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [^ true].
self halt.
^ Compiler evaluate: condition codeString
for: (condition associatedPlayer
ifNil: [condition topEditor playerScripted])
logged: false

The second one is worst because it hangs the image. To reproduce just try to step on a script with an empty test tile. The fix is simple as well:

EtoysDebugger>>evaluateTest: test
| tile |
test testPart tiles isEmpty
ifTrue: [next := test yesPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile].
next = test
ifTrue: [^ self]
ifFalse: [^ self evaluateNextTile]
].
self highlight: test testPart.
tile := test evaluateTestPart
ifTrue: [test yesPart]
ifFalse: [test noPart].
next := tile tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile]

I should have found these bugs earlier, I'm terribly sorry. Now I don't know how to proceed. I will open a ticket of course, but should I attach a change set there or can I commit the fix to etoys? I think this needs to be fixed in 5.0.

Again, I'm very very sorry for this inconvenience.

Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: [squeakland] Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
Don't be sorry.
I'll add the changes to the image

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry to say that while testing something else I found two bugs with the step button.

The first one fails when trying to evaluate a test condition involving a function (like abs, random, and such). The fix is trivial, but I might be missing something:

CompoundTileMorph>>evaluateTestPart
| condition |
condition := testPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [^ true].
self halt.
^ Compiler evaluate: condition codeString
for: (condition associatedPlayer
ifNil: [condition topEditor playerScripted])
logged: false

The second one is worst because it hangs the image. To reproduce just try to step on a script with an empty test tile. The fix is simple as well:

EtoysDebugger>>evaluateTest: test
| tile |
test testPart tiles isEmpty
ifTrue: [next := test yesPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile].
next = test
ifTrue: [^ self]
ifFalse: [^ self evaluateNextTile]
].
self highlight: test testPart.
tile := test evaluateTestPart
ifTrue: [test yesPart]
ifFalse: [test noPart].
next := tile tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile]

I should have found these bugs earlier, I'm terribly sorry. Now I don't know how to proceed. I will open a ticket of course, but should I attach a change set there or can I commit the fix to etoys? I think this needs to be fixed in 5.0.

Again, I'm very very sorry for this inconvenience.

Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: [squeakland] Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Ricardo Moran
Thanks, I created the following issues: SQ-1070 and SQ-1071.

Cheers,
Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't be sorry.
I'll add the changes to the image

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry to say that while testing something else I found two bugs with the step button.

The first one fails when trying to evaluate a test condition involving a function (like abs, random, and such). The fix is trivial, but I might be missing something:

CompoundTileMorph>>evaluateTestPart
| condition |
condition := testPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [^ true].
self halt.
^ Compiler evaluate: condition codeString
for: (condition associatedPlayer
ifNil: [condition topEditor playerScripted])
logged: false

The second one is worst because it hangs the image. To reproduce just try to step on a script with an empty test tile. The fix is simple as well:

EtoysDebugger>>evaluateTest: test
| tile |
test testPart tiles isEmpty
ifTrue: [next := test yesPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile].
next = test
ifTrue: [^ self]
ifFalse: [^ self evaluateNextTile]
].
self highlight: test testPart.
tile := test evaluateTestPart
ifTrue: [test yesPart]
ifFalse: [test noPart].
next := tile tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile]

I should have found these bugs earlier, I'm terribly sorry. Now I don't know how to proceed. I will open a ticket of course, but should I attach a change set there or can I commit the fix to etoys? I think this needs to be fixed in 5.0.

Again, I'm very very sorry for this inconvenience.

Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Bert Freudenberg
Yes. Just commit to the repo as usual and we'll build another release candidate.

(Karl, please don't "patch the image", let's do it properly)

- Bert -

On 28.03.2012, at 18:12, karl ramberg wrote:

Don't be sorry.
I'll add the changes to the image

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry to say that while testing something else I found two bugs with the step button.

The first one fails when trying to evaluate a test condition involving a function (like abs, random, and such). The fix is trivial, but I might be missing something:

CompoundTileMorph>>evaluateTestPart
| condition |
condition := testPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [^ true].
self halt.
^ Compiler evaluate: condition codeString
for: (condition associatedPlayer
ifNil: [condition topEditor playerScripted])
logged: false

The second one is worst because it hangs the image. To reproduce just try to step on a script with an empty test tile. The fix is simple as well:

EtoysDebugger>>evaluateTest: test
| tile |
test testPart tiles isEmpty
ifTrue: [next := test yesPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile].
next = test
ifTrue: [^ self]
ifFalse: [^ self evaluateNextTile]
].
self highlight: test testPart.
tile := test evaluateTestPart
ifTrue: [test yesPart]
ifFalse: [test noPart].
next := tile tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile]

I should have found these bugs earlier, I'm terribly sorry. Now I don't know how to proceed. I will open a ticket of course, but should I attach a change set there or can I commit the fix to etoys? I think this needs to be fixed in 5.0.

Again, I'm very very sorry for this inconvenience.

Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
Yes
I'll start now

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes. Just commit to the repo as usual and we'll build another release candidate.

(Karl, please don't "patch the image", let's do it properly)

- Bert -

On 28.03.2012, at 18:12, karl ramberg wrote:

Don't be sorry.
I'll add the changes to the image

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry to say that while testing something else I found two bugs with the step button.

The first one fails when trying to evaluate a test condition involving a function (like abs, random, and such). The fix is trivial, but I might be missing something:

CompoundTileMorph>>evaluateTestPart
| condition |
condition := testPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [^ true].
self halt.
^ Compiler evaluate: condition codeString
for: (condition associatedPlayer
ifNil: [condition topEditor playerScripted])
logged: false

The second one is worst because it hangs the image. To reproduce just try to step on a script with an empty test tile. The fix is simple as well:

EtoysDebugger>>evaluateTest: test
| tile |
test testPart tiles isEmpty
ifTrue: [next := test yesPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile].
next = test
ifTrue: [^ self]
ifFalse: [^ self evaluateNextTile]
].
self highlight: test testPart.
tile := test evaluateTestPart
ifTrue: [test yesPart]
ifFalse: [test noPart].
next := tile tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile]

I should have found these bugs earlier, I'm terribly sorry. Now I don't know how to proceed. I will open a ticket of course, but should I attach a change set there or can I commit the fix to etoys? I think this needs to be fixed in 5.0.

Again, I'm very very sorry for this inconvenience.

Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
Ok
Update is published in the update stream.
Your video on how to do a update is invaluable :-)

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes
I'll start now

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes. Just commit to the repo as usual and we'll build another release candidate.

(Karl, please don't "patch the image", let's do it properly)

- Bert -

On 28.03.2012, at 18:12, karl ramberg wrote:

Don't be sorry.
I'll add the changes to the image

Karl

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Ricardo Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sorry to say that while testing something else I found two bugs with the step button.

The first one fails when trying to evaluate a test condition involving a function (like abs, random, and such). The fix is trivial, but I might be missing something:

CompoundTileMorph>>evaluateTestPart
| condition |
condition := testPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [^ true].
self halt.
^ Compiler evaluate: condition codeString
for: (condition associatedPlayer
ifNil: [condition topEditor playerScripted])
logged: false

The second one is worst because it hangs the image. To reproduce just try to step on a script with an empty test tile. The fix is simple as well:

EtoysDebugger>>evaluateTest: test
| tile |
test testPart tiles isEmpty
ifTrue: [next := test yesPart tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile].
next = test
ifTrue: [^ self]
ifFalse: [^ self evaluateNextTile]
].
self highlight: test testPart.
tile := test evaluateTestPart
ifTrue: [test yesPart]
ifFalse: [test noPart].
next := tile tiles at: 1 ifAbsent: [test nextTile]

I should have found these bugs earlier, I'm terribly sorry. Now I don't know how to proceed. I will open a ticket of course, but should I attach a change set there or can I commit the fix to etoys? I think this needs to be fixed in 5.0.

Again, I'm very very sorry for this inconvenience.

Richo

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 27.03.2012, at 08:59, karl ramberg wrote:

> Etoys 5 release candidate 2
> More fixes went into this new release candidate, but if there are some show stoppers we would like to know asap !

Actually it would be good to hear if anyone tested this, and it worked.

- Bert -

> So download from here:
>
> http://squeakland.org/download/
>
> And give feedback
>
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> or to
>
> [hidden email]
>
> last resort is mailing me directly karlramberg 'at' gmail.com
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Bert Freudenberg

On 28.03.2012, at 19:53, karl ramberg wrote:

> Ok
> Update is published in the update stream.
> Your video on how to do a update is invaluable :-)

Hehe. I hope the description in the Release How-To is helpful, too?

I guess I'll wait at least until this is fixed:

        http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-1072

And maybe others find more problems.

- Bert -

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Karl Ramberg
Yes,
SQ-1072 is pretty critical.

Karl

On 29.03.2012, at 11:19, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Karl:
>
> 1 Undeclared in Etoys 5.0 RC 2
>
> a Dictionary(#CClipboard->nil #DrGeoWindow->nil #DuplicateVariableError->nil #GStreamerSystem->nil #HTTPProgress->nil #index->nil #interpreterProxy->nil #MacServicesInterface->nil #MIMETypeMacResolver->nil #multistatus->false #ResumableTestFailure->nil #RomeFreetypeFont->nil #ScaledDecimal->nil #SUnitNameResolver->nil #shouldClearOrigin->nil #TestCase->nil #TestFailure->nil #ToolBuilder->nil )

Good find.

> 2 Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference
>

> In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta.
>
> Now you need the following “la vuelta larga” “the long way”
>
> 1. open Object Catalog from Supply Bin
> 2. click "Alphabetic" and "P"
> 3. drag "Preferences" to desktop
> 4. click "Scripting"
> 5. uncheck "EtoysFriendly"
> 6. close Preferences and Object catalog
>
> Cheers
>
> Edgar

There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and iPad versions.

There are various means to get at the preferences dialog. It's in the world's halo menu, and in the "view-source" menu (special key on OLPC XO, cmd-comma elsewhere).

One thing I'd like to see is an example project showing how to use the Smalltalk tools. That would be the right place to explain the eToyFriendly preference. (And maybe we can finally fix the spelling to etoyFriendly)

- Bert -

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Markus Schlager-2
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> 2 Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference
>>

>> In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta.
>>
>> Now you need the following “la vuelta larga” “the long way”
>>
>> 1. open Object Catalog from Supply Bin
>> 2. click "Alphabetic" and "P"
>> 3. drag "Preferences" to desktop
>> 4. click "Scripting"
>> 5. uncheck "EtoysFriendly"
>> 6. close Preferences and Object catalog
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Edgar
>

> There has never been an official Squeakland release with the eToyFriendly preference in the flap. I only put that into the experimental touch test and iPad versions.
>
> There are various means to get at the preferences dialog. It's in the world's halo menu, and in the "view-source" menu (special key on OLPC XO, cmd-comma elsewhere).
>
> One thing I'd like to see is an example project showing how to use the Smalltalk tools. That would be the right place to explain the eToyFriendly preference. (And maybe we can finally fix the spelling to etoyFriendly)
>
> - Bert -
One reason I need to disable eToyFriendly is to be able to export morphs
as bitmaps in order to make teaching-materials. Couldn't this option be
visible in eToyFriendly-mode as well?

Markus

Re: Etoys 5.0 RC 2

Steve Thomas
Markus,

The attached project allows you to export morph images and the images of each page in a book, in Etoys Friendly mode.

If you place this project inside the /Contents/Resources/locale/en/QuickGuides you can access it at anytime from the QuickGuides help (this is thanks to Ted Kaehler's work to allow users to add their own QuickGuides which I believe went into Etoys 4.1).  You will need to change the /en directory to the language of your choice.

Stephen

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Markus Schlager <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ToolsImageExport.009.pr (108K) Download Attachment