: Etoys 5.0 question

narayans
In the context of a previous project, we had added support for Vernier LabPro devices to Etoys. I am in the process of porting that code to Etoys 5.0. While I am familiar with Etoys, I am new to Smalltalk, so please pardon my ignorance.

> I was able to add FFI support to my copy of the Etoys 5.0 image. I also have the SqueakFFIPrims.dll file which I believe is what is referred to as the FFI plugin. Once all that was done, I was able to file in the Vernier LabPro code without any errors and instantiate a LabPro morph.
>
> When I open the viewer on the LabPro morph, it has the additional category named "labpro" that we added. However, there is nothing visible under this category. Normally, this is where the inputs from the analog channels on the LabPro would be available. Without this, I cannot test if the LabPro works with Etoys 5.0.  I have checked the additionsToViewerCategories method in the LabPro class, and all the code for adding channel1, channel2 etc, which correspond to the various analog channels on the LabPro, to the labpro category is there.

> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sridhar

Re: : Etoys 5.0 question

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.06.2012, at 02:20, Narayan, Sridhar wrote:

> When I open the viewer on the LabPro morph, it has the additional category named "labpro" that we added. However, there is nothing visible under this category. [...] I have checked the additionsToViewerCategories method in the LabPro class, and all the code for adding channel1, channel2 etc, which correspond to the various analog channels on the LabPro, to the labpro category is there.

Make sure that your morph's player actually understands the methods you specified. E.g., if you have this slot definition:

MyMorph>>additionsToViewerCategories
        ^ #(
                (foo
                        (
                                (slot foo 'Foo help' Number readWrite Number getFoo Number setFoo:)
                        )
                )
        )

then your morph's player must understand "getFoo" and "setFoo:". Otherwise the messages would fail, and so they are hidden.

- Bert -

FW: : Etoys 5.0 question

narayans
Thanks, Bert. Took me a little while to understand "morph's player"...Anyway, now it works.

- Sridhar -