Etoys: Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

commits-2
Karl Ramberg uploaded a new version of Etoys to project Etoys:
http://source.squeak.org/etoys/Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

Name: Etoys-kfr.68
Author: kfr
Time: 22 May 2011, 6:28:05 pm
UUID: 21209153-78b3-0d45-93e0-1bd43b3e2100
Ancestors: Etoys-kfr.67

Hide 'add search pane' menu item if it already is present

=============== Diff against Etoys-kfr.67 ===============

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: Player>>offerViewerMenuFor:event: (in category 'misc') -----
  offerViewerMenuFor: aViewer event: evt
  "Put up the Viewer menu on behalf of the receiver.  If the shift key is held down, put up the alternate menu. The menu omits the 'add a new variable' item when in eToyFriendly mode, as per request from teachers using Squeakland in 2003 once the button for adding a new variable was added to the viewer"

  | aMenu aWorld  |
  (evt notNil and: [evt shiftPressed and: [Preferences eToyFriendly not]]) ifTrue:
  [^ self offerAlternateViewerMenuFor: aViewer event: evt].

  aWorld _ aViewer world.
  aMenu _ MenuMorph new defaultTarget: self.
  aMenu title: self externalName.
  aMenu addStayUpItem.

  self costume renderedMorph offerCostumeViewerMenu: aMenu.

  Preferences eToyFriendly ifFalse: "exclude this from squeakland-like UI "
  [aMenu add: 'add a new variable' translated target: self action: #addInstanceVariable.
  aMenu balloonTextForLastItem: 'Add a new variable to this object and all of its siblings.  You will be asked to supply a name for it.' translated].

  aMenu add: 'add a new script' translated target: aViewer action: #newPermanentScript.
  aMenu balloonTextForLastItem: 'Add a new script that will work for this object and all of its siblings' translated.
  aMenu addLine.
  aMenu add: 'grab this object' translated target: self selector: #grabPlayerIn: argument: aWorld.
  aMenu balloonTextForLastItem: 'This will actually pick up the object this Viewer is looking at, and hand it to you.  Click the (left) button to drop it' translated.

  aMenu add: 'reveal this object' translated target: self selector: #revealPlayerIn: argument: aWorld.
  aMenu balloonTextForLastItem: 'If you have misplaced the object that this Viewer is looking at, use this item to (try to) make it visible' translated.

  aMenu add: 'tile representing this object' translated action: #tearOffTileForSelf.
  aMenu balloonTextForLastItem: 'choose this to obtain a tile which represents the object associated with this script' translated.
  aMenu addLine.
+ (aViewer findA: SearchingViewer)
+ ifNil:[aMenu add: 'add search pane' translated target: aViewer action: #addSearchPane].
-
- aMenu add: 'add search pane' translated target: aViewer action: #addSearchPane.
  Preferences eToyFriendly ifFalse: [
  aMenu addLine.
  aMenu add: 'more...' translated target: self selector: #offerAlternateViewerMenuFor:event: argumentList: {aViewer. evt}].

  aMenu popUpEvent: evt in: aWorld
  !

Re: Etoys: Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

Scott Wallace
On May 22, 2011, at 4:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Karl Ramberg uploaded a new version of Etoys to project Etoys:
> http://source.squeak.org/etoys/Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

> Name: Etoys-kfr.68
> Author: kfr
> Time: 22 May 2011, 6:28:05 pm
> UUID: 21209153-78b3-0d45-93e0-1bd43b3e2100
> Ancestors: Etoys-kfr.67
>
> Hide 'add search pane' menu item if it already is present

Really?  Sometimes it's useful to have more than one "search pane" at the same time.  Why preclude this?

Maybe if the wording of the menu item were "add a search pane" instead of simply "add search pane", it might make it clearer...

  -- Scott

Re: Etoys: Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

Karl Ramberg
Good point.
I was going through the bug tracker:

I'll redo this

Karl

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Scott Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
On May 22, 2011, at 4:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Karl Ramberg uploaded a new version of Etoys to project Etoys:
> http://source.squeak.org/etoys/Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

> Name: Etoys-kfr.68
> Author: kfr
> Time: 22 May 2011, 6:28:05 pm
> UUID: 21209153-78b3-0d45-93e0-1bd43b3e2100
> Ancestors: Etoys-kfr.67
>
> Hide 'add search pane' menu item if it already is present

Really?  Sometimes it's useful to have more than one "search pane" at the same time.  Why preclude this?

Maybe if the wording of the menu item were "add a search pane" instead of simply "add search pane", it might make it clearer...

 -- Scott

Re: Etoys: Etoys-kfr.68.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
On 22.05.2011, at 18:50, karl ramberg wrote:

> Good point.
> I was going through the bug tracker:
> http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-448
>
> I'll redo this
>
> Karl

You're awesome, Karl. It's better to seek forgiveness than ask permission :)

And thanks to Scott for spotting this, too. Aren't we glad to have these commit notices?

- Bert -