Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

commits-2
Karl Ramberg uploaded a new version of Morphic to project Etoys:
http://source.squeak.org/etoys/Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

Name: Morphic-kfr.97
Author: kfr
Time: 25 October 2012, 7:56:46 am
UUID: 6d5a2911-44d6-824d-90f4-59b32c1c8a03
Ancestors: Morphic-kfr.96

Add Etoy interfaces to ScratchPlugin picture manipulation methods
http://tracker.squeakland.org/browse/SQ-996

=============== Diff against Morphic-kfr.96 ===============

Item was changed:
  Morph subclass: #SketchMorph
+ instanceVariableNames: 'originalForm rotationStyle scalePoint framesToDwell rotatedForm filters'
- instanceVariableNames: 'originalForm rotationStyle scalePoint framesToDwell rotatedForm'
  classVariableNames: ''
  poolDictionaries: ''
  category: 'Morphic-Basic'!

+ !SketchMorph commentStamp: 'kfr. 11/7/2011 11:32' prior: 0!
+ SketchMorph commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!!
+ The morph that results when the user draws a color bitmap using the PaintBox (SketchEditorMorph and PaintBoxMorph).
- !SketchMorph commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!
- The morph that results when the user draws a color bitmap using the PaintBox (SketchEditorMorph and PaintBoxMorph).

  forwardDirection is the angle at which the object will go forward.  When the rotationStyle is not #normal, then forwardDirection is any angle, while the rotation is highly restricted.  If flexed, this is remembered by the Transform morph.  For non-normal rotationStyle, it is rotationDegrees.

  setupAngle (a property) is where the user put the green arrow to indicate which direction on the picture is forward.  When #normal, draw the morph initially at (0.0 - setupAngle).  The enclosing TransformationMorph then rotates it to the true angle.
+
-
  rotationDegrees  In a #normal object, rotationDegrees is constant an equal to setupAngle.
+ For non-normal, it is the direction the object is going.
- For non-normal, it is the direction the object is going.

+ When repainting, set it back to its original state. The green arrow is set to setupAngle, and the sketch is shown as drawn originally (rotationDegrees = 0).
- When repainting, set it back to its original state. The green arrow is set to setupAngle, and the sketch is shown as drawn originally (rotationDegrees = 0).

+ rotationStyle = normal (turns), leftRight, upDown, fixed.
- rotationStyle = normal (turns), leftRight, upDown, fixed.
  When leftRight upDown or fixed, bit map has severe restrictions.
  !

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>blur:form: (in category 'filters') -----
+ blur: aWidth form: filteredForm
+ | f fOut fWidth |
+ aWidth = 0 ifTrue:[^ filteredForm].
+ f := filteredForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
+ fWidth := f width + (aWidth - 1) max: f width.
+ fOut := f deepCopy.
+ ScratchPlugin
+ primBlur: f bits
+ into: fOut bits
+ width: fWidth.
+ ^ fOut asFormOfDepth: 16!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>brightnessShift:form: (in category 'filters') -----
+ brightnessShift: aShift form: filteredForm
+ | f fOut shift |
+ aShift = 0 ifTrue:[^ filteredForm].
+ shift := aShift min: 100 max: -100.
+ f := filteredForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
+ fOut := f deepCopy.
+ ScratchPlugin
+ primShiftBrightness: f bits
+ into: fOut bits
+ by: shift.
+ ^ fOut asFormOfDepth: 16!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>filters (in category 'filters') -----
+ filters
+ ^ filters
+ ifNil: [filters := OrderedCollection new]!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>filtersAdd: (in category 'filters') -----
+ filtersAdd: aFilterWithValue
+ self filters
+ do: [:i | (i includes: aFilterWithValue first)
+ ifTrue: [filters remove: i]].
+ filters add: aFilterWithValue.
+ self layoutChanged!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>fishEye:form: (in category 'filters') -----
+ fishEye: aPower form: aForm
+ | f fOut power |
+ aPower = 0 ifTrue:[^aForm].
+ power := (100 + (aPower * 10)) max:0.
+ f := aForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
+ fOut := f deepCopy.
+ ScratchPlugin primFisheye: f bits into: fOut bits width: f width power: power.
+ ^fOut  asFormOfDepth: 16!

Item was changed:
  ----- Method: SketchMorph>>generateRotatedForm (in category 'drawing') -----
  generateRotatedForm
+ | scalePt smoothPix pair filteredForm |
+ scalePoint
+ ifNil: [scalePoint := 1 @ 1].
- "Compute my rotatedForm and offsetWhenRotated."
-
- | scalePt smoothPix pair |
- scalePoint ifNil: [scalePoint := 1 @ 1].
  scalePt := scalePoint x abs @ scalePoint y abs.
+ rotationStyle == #none
+ ifTrue: [scalePt := 1 @ 1].
- rotationStyle == #none ifTrue: [scalePt := 1 @ 1].
- "smoothPix := (scalePt x < 1.0 or: [scalePt y < 1.0])
- ifTrue: [2]
- ifFalse: [1]."
  smoothPix := 1.
+ rotationStyle = #leftRight
+ ifTrue: [self heading asSmallAngleDegrees < 0.0
- rotationStyle = #leftRight
- ifTrue:
- [self heading asSmallAngleDegrees < 0.0
  ifTrue: [scalePt := scalePt x negated @ scalePt y]].
+ rotationStyle = #upDown
+ ifTrue: [self heading asSmallAngleDegrees abs > 90.0
- rotationStyle = #upDown
- ifTrue:
- [self heading asSmallAngleDegrees abs > 90.0
  ifTrue: [scalePt := scalePt x @ scalePt y negated]].
+ filteredForm := originalForm copy.
+ filters
+ ifNotNil: [filters
+ do: [:filter | filteredForm := self
+ perform: filter first
+ withArguments: (filter allButFirst copyWith: filteredForm)]].
+ rotatedForm := (scalePt = (1 @ 1)
+ and: [filters isNil])
- rotatedForm := scalePt = (1 @ 1)
  ifTrue: [originalForm]
+ ifFalse: [((rotationStyle == #normal
+ and: [self useInterpolation])
+ and: [filters isNil])
+ ifTrue: [^ self generateInterpolatedForm].
+ pair := WarpBlt current
+ rotate: filteredForm
- ifFalse:
- ["ar 11/19/2001: I am uncertain what happens in the case of rotationStyle ~~ normal"
-
- (rotationStyle == #normal and: [self useInterpolation])
- ifTrue: [^self generateInterpolatedForm].
- pair := WarpBlt current
- rotate: originalForm
  degrees: 0
  center: originalForm boundingBox center
  scaleBy: scalePt
  smoothing: smoothPix.
  pair first]!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>hueShift:form: (in category 'filters') -----
+ hueShift: aShift form: filteredForm
+ | f fOut shift |
+ aShift = 0 ifTrue:[^ filteredForm].
+ shift := aShift min: 180 max: -180.
+ f := filteredForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
+ fOut := f deepCopy.
+ ScratchPlugin
+ primShiftHue: f bits
+ into: fOut bits
+ byDegrees: shift.
+ ^ fOut asFormOfDepth: 16!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>removeFilters (in category 'filters') -----
+ removeFilters
+ filters := nil.
+ self layoutChanged!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>saturationShift:form: (in category 'filters') -----
+ saturationShift: aShift form: filteredForm
+ | f fOut shift |
+ aShift = 0 ifTrue:[^ filteredForm].
+ shift := aShift min: 100 max: -100.
+ f := filteredForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
+ fOut := f deepCopy.
+ ScratchPlugin
+ primShiftSaturation: f bits
+ into: fOut bits
+ by: shift.
+ ^ fOut asFormOfDepth: 16!

Item was added:
+ ----- Method: SketchMorph>>whirl:form: (in category 'filters') -----
+ whirl: anAngle form: aForm
+ | f fOut |
+ anAngle = 0 ifTrue:[^aForm].
+
+ f := aForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
+ fOut := f deepCopy.
+ ScratchPlugin primWhirl: f bits into: fOut bits width: f width angle: anAngle.
+ ^fOut  asFormOfDepth: 16!

Re: Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

Bert Freudenberg
That looks nice! Thank you :)

- Bert -

On 25.10.2012, at 05:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> + saturationShift: aShift form: filteredForm
> + | f fOut shift |
> + aShift = 0 ifTrue:[^ filteredForm].
> + shift := aShift min: 100 max: -100.
> + f := filteredForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
> + fOut := f deepCopy.
> + ScratchPlugin
> + primShiftSaturation: f bits
> + into: fOut bits
> + by: shift.
> + ^ fOut asFormOfDepth: 16!
>
> Item was added:
> + ----- Method: SketchMorph>>whirl:form: (in category 'filters') -----
> + whirl: anAngle form: aForm
> + | f fOut |
> + anAngle = 0 ifTrue:[^aForm].
> +
> + f := aForm asFormOfDepth: 32.
> + fOut := f deepCopy.
> + ScratchPlugin primWhirl: f bits into: fOut bits width: f width angle: anAngle.

Re: Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

Karl Ramberg
Hi

I found a issue with the filter implementation that I'm looking for a solution for.

Once a filter is added in a ScriptEditor it will not remove it self from the SketchMorph before a removeFilter is sent.
So if the filter is pulled out of the ScriptEditor it is still active.

Karl

Re: Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-12-04, at 13:48, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found a issue with the filter implementation that I'm looking for a solution for.
>
> Once a filter is added in a ScriptEditor it will not remove it self from the SketchMorph before a removeFilter is sent.
> So if the filter is pulled out of the ScriptEditor it is still active.
>
> Karl

Oh, I only now tried your code. From reading it I thought you had added 6 new slots. Instead you made the filters be commands, which is not as flexible.

Here's what I thought we would do: Give the player a new numeric slot, named blur, with default value 0. When setting its value to anything other than 0, a filter is added, when setting it back to 0, the filter gets removed. Similar for the 5 other filters.

That way we don't need a "removeFilters" command, and you can easily play with the filters in the viewer because they show the current amount.

Your SketchMorph code can be exactly the same, it's just how filters get added and removed that would change. An improvement would be however if you did not add an instance variable, but stored the filters in a property. Most of the SketchMorphs will not need filtering.

- Bert -

Re: Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

dcorking
Like this, and like Bert's suggestion of slots.

David
p.s. is Smalltalk on XO really so slow that these picture filters need
the plugin?

Re: Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-12-04, at 15:18, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012-12-04, at 13:48, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I found a issue with the filter implementation that I'm looking for a solution for.
>>
>> Once a filter is added in a ScriptEditor it will not remove it self from the SketchMorph before a removeFilter is sent.
>> So if the filter is pulled out of the ScriptEditor it is still active.
>>
>> Karl
>

> Oh, I only now tried your code. From reading it I thought you had added 6 new slots. Instead you made the filters be commands, which is not as flexible.
>
> Here's what I thought we would do: Give the player a new numeric slot, named blur, with default value 0. When setting its value to anything other than 0, a filter is added, when setting it back to 0, the filter gets removed. Similar for the 5 other filters.
>
> That way we don't need a "removeFilters" command, and you can easily play with the filters in the viewer because they show the current amount.
>
> Your SketchMorph code can be exactly the same, it's just how filters get added and removed that would change. An improvement would be however if you did not add an instance variable, but stored the filters in a property. Most of the SketchMorphs will not need filtering.
>
> - Bert -

(new version)

Yes! Isn't that much more fun to play with? We don't even need a script! :)

You need to use "self costume renderedMorph" otherwise it breaks under rotation.

Also, it's a good idea to check for #isSketchMorph and return 0 in the getter / ignore the value in the setter otherwise. It can always happen that the messages are sent to a player whose costume is not a sketch.

- Bert -

Re: Etoys: Morphic-kfr.97.mcz

Karl Ramberg
Good suggestions.
I think we must ensure that we send valid numbers to the primitives as well.
Some do not like decimal values and it does not make sense to send extreme big or small values either.

Karl