Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
I have been thinking about Rita's suggestion to split the Etoys
Reference Manual material into two volumes. This is how I see the
split. Comments, please.

Etoys Reference Manual
outline

Vol. I

Etoys Programming

Introduction
Getting Started
User Interface
Basic Objects
More Objects
Common Tiles (everything common to Morphs)
Less Common Tiles (every other category)
Etoys Scripting
  Tile types and components (move from Common Tiles)
  Variable data types
  Custom events
  Script editor
  Running and stepping scripts
  Ticking
  Gold Box
  Menu
  Event-based programming
  Parallel programming (include Copies and Siblings)
Glossary
Further Reading
  Etoys by Example
  Kedama manual
  Waveplace tutorials
  etc.
Credits

Vol. II

Etoys Internals

Introduction
  This is not a manual of Squeak or Smalltalk
  From Etoys into Squeak: How and Why
Squeak and Smalltalk: the irreducible minimum
  Object structure
    Objects
    Classes and Metaclasses
    Methods and Selectors
    Variable types
  Smalltalk syntax
Accessing Squeak from Etoys
  Translating scripts to text
  Squeak objects on Etoys menus
Etoys/Squeak Development Environment
  Players and Costumes
  Introspection and Development Tools
  Accessing Etoys Objects in Squeak
Implementation of Etoys
  Squeak definitions of Morphs and other Etoys objects
  The Object Catalog
  Viewer Category Definitions
  Squeak definitions of Etoys Scripting Tiles
Etoys Preferences
Etoys Friendly Off
Known Errors
Mime Types
Glossary
Further Reading
  Squeak by Example
  Gnu Smalltalk Manual
  etc.
Credits

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

Re: Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
I haven't seen any comments. Without objection, I will proceed.

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

Re: Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II

Steve Thomas
No problem with you going ahead and starting on Volume II, its a good idea and with Karl latest addtion where you can drop a tile into a textual script it makes getting started in Squeak easier.

That said I do object to changing Volume I, please leave it as is.  I am sure there are many differing opinions on this, but I think your time will be best spent on Vol II which is needed.

Thanks,
Stephen

On Sun, December 16, 2012 3:54 am, Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I'm sorry there was no answer yet.

I had hoped for someone to acknowledge my suggestion sooner, and say
that it would take a while to evaluate. Thank you for doing so now.

> No comments mean no one had the time to
> comment right now. I hope to find the time during christmas break. But I
> don't want you to assume all your suggestions are agreed upon. That said,
> you made certain good points and these will definitely be considered.

OK. That's in line with what I expected.

> I agree with Steve, feel free to go on with Volume II.

Right, then. I will set up Vol. II and move the Squeak materials out
of the Volume I draft. I will wait to hear whether splitting the tiles
chapter is considered to be a good idea, and everything else
concerning Vol. I.

> Greetings,
> Rita
>
> Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Gibt es Etoys für das iPhone?

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Edward Mokurai Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, December 16, 2012 3:54 am, Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> I'm sorry there was no answer yet.

I had hoped for someone to acknowledge my suggestion sooner, and say
that it would take a while to evaluate. Thank you for doing so now.
Sorry for the delay, and yes unfortunately it will take a while.

> No comments mean no one had the time to
> comment right now. I hope to find the time during christmas break. But I
> don't want you to assume all your suggestions are agreed upon. That said,
> you made certain good points and these will definitely be considered.

OK. That's in line with what I expected.

> I agree with Steve, feel free to go on with Volume II.

Right, then. I will set up Vol. II and move the Squeak materials out
of the Volume I draft. I will wait to hear whether splitting the tiles
chapter is considered to be a good idea, and everything else
concerning Vol. I.
Thanks this will be a useful addition.

Stephen

Re: Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II

Rita Freudenberg

On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:04 AM, Edward Mokurai Cherlin wrote:

Gibt es Etoys für das iPhone?

Nein/No. There is a version for the iPad, but it is a developers version. We are starting right now to figure out what needs to be done in Etoys so that it will work for Etoys touch.
I don't think Etoys will be used on smart phones because of the limited screen size.

Greetings,
Rita

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From Etoys into Squeak: How and Why
[...]

Touch UI (was: Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II)

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-12-17, at 08:33, Rita Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:04 AM, Edward Mokurai Cherlin wrote:
>> Gibt es Etoys für das iPhone?
>
> Nein/No. There is a version for the iPad, but it is a developers version.

http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html

http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2012/10/squeak-etoys-running-on-olpc-xo-3-tablet.html

http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/ipad/

Squeak runs on Android, too, but as Rita wrote, we need to fix the UI first before we can seriously consider a tablet release.

Actually, you can try how Etoys feels with touch using this Etoys-To-Go touch emulator:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip

- Bert -

> We are starting right now to figure out what needs to be done in Etoys so that it will work for Etoys touch.
> I don't think Etoys will be used on smart phones because of the limited screen size.
>
> Greetings,
> Rita

Re: Touch UI (was: Etoys Reference Manual Vol. II)

Karl Ramberg

On 2012-12-17, at 08:33, Rita Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2012, at 12:04 AM, Edward Mokurai Cherlin wrote:
>> Gibt es Etoys für das iPhone?
>
> Nein/No. There is a version for the iPad, but it is a developers version.

http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html

http://croquetweak.blogspot.de/2012/10/squeak-etoys-running-on-olpc-xo-3-tablet.html

http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/ipad/

Squeak runs on Android, too, but as Rita wrote, we need to fix the UI first before we can seriously consider a tablet release.

Actually, you can try how Etoys feels with touch using this Etoys-To-Go touch emulator:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/experimental/Etoys-Touch-Emu-100620.zip

Testing this I realized just how much we need to change to make Etoys usable on tablets.
Using fingers on a screen is a little clumsy and small widgets do not work well.
Much of the GUI must be reworked.

Also the Etoys workflow will suffer with limited screen size.
It will be hard to have both Viewers and ScriptEditors open without cluttering up.

Karl

- Bert -