Etoys networking (was Re: Additions to Etoys Reference Manual)

Etoys networking (was Re: Additions to Etoys Reference Manual)

Edward Mokurai Cherlin
On Thu, September 20, 2012 7:56 am, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-09-19, at 19:24, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Edward Mokurai Cherlin
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Badge
>>> Fridge
>>> NebraskaServer
>> These are all of a etoys networking experiment.
>> I do not think they are of much use to students unless they are
>> enhanced quite a bit
>
> They are used in Sugar for collaboration. On other platforms they are too
> hard to use in a classroom, agreed, because you have to type in IP
> addresses manually. It would need some equivalent of Sugar's "presence
> service" to easily connect to peers.

The conclusion seems to be that they should not be exposed in the
Object Catalog. Is that right? Can we hide them?

May I put your comment in the manual as an explanation of why there is
no explanation of these objects? ^_^

> - Bert -

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin

Re: Etoys networking (was Re: Additions to Etoys Reference Manual)

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-09-20, at 18:27, Edward Mokurai Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, September 20, 2012 7:56 am, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> On 2012-09-19, at 19:24, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> These are all of a etoys networking experiment.
>>> I do not think they are of much use to students unless they are
>>> enhanced quite a bit
>>
>> They are used in Sugar for collaboration. On other platforms they are too
>> hard to use in a classroom, agreed, because you have to type in IP
>> addresses manually. It would need some equivalent of Sugar's "presence
>> service" to easily connect to peers.
>
> The conclusion seems to be that they should not be exposed in the
> Object Catalog. Is that right? Can we hide them?

They are already hidden, since they do not appear in any category.

> May I put your comment in the manual as an explanation of why there is
> no explanation of these objects? ^_^

Or an explanation how they work. But mentioning them is a good idea, since people may stumble upon them like you did.

- Bert -