Etoys package now (un|re)loadable

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

I finished the first round on making Etoys package reloadable in trunk.
In the process I did a few changes including:
- Folded FlexibleVocabularies into Etoys package
- Removed support for the Fabrik remnants
- Removed support for tiles-in-tools
If anyone cares deeply about the latter two features we can restore them
but I was more concerned to get a first round of Etoys reloading going.

The result is that you can indeed unload and reload Etoys alongside the
other packages with no Undeclareds and no obsolete behaviors (although
there are a few more cleanup steps to be added before all obsolete
behaviors are gone so you'll likely end up with a few if you try my old
script). You will also get a few errors if you use various actions from
halo or during menu creation once you've got Etoys unloaded but like I
said this is just a step.

In any case, everything will continue to work fine after reloading,
which is the real goal here.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Etoys package now (un|re)loadable

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:34:09AM +0100, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I finished the first round on making Etoys package reloadable in trunk.

> In any case, everything will continue to work fine after reloading,
> which is the real goal here.

Absolutely great!

This reminds me - I recall some discussion a while back about
getting Squeak to the point where it can more effectively support
the latest EToys. I think that Bert had mentioned a road map
document on how to bring EToys and Squeak back together again.
Can someone refresh my memory or send a link to that posting?

I know there will be a lot of work to get up to date with the
EToys/OLPC development, and conversely to make the latest Squeak
improvements available to projects like EToys. But it seems now
to be realistic and achievable, more so every day.

I think that it is worth noting that the formal (funded R&D)
support for EToys and OLPC seems to be reaching a natural end
point, and it will be up to all of us in the Squeak community
to pitch in and help carry the work forward.

Dave

Re: Etoys package now (un|re)loadable

K. K. Subramaniam
On Monday 04 January 2010 06:29:56 am David T. Lewis wrote:
> This reminds me - I recall some discussion a while back about
> getting Squeak to the point where it can more effectively support
> the latest EToys. I think that Bert had mentioned a road map
> document on how to bring EToys and Squeak back together again.
> Can someone refresh my memory or send a link to that posting?
Not roadmap but an intention.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-April/135593.html

Subbu

Re: Etoys package now (un|re)loadable

Milan Zimmermann-2
On January 3, 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> I finished the first round on making Etoys package reloadable in trunk.
> In the process I did a few changes including:
> - Folded FlexibleVocabularies into Etoys package
> - Removed support for the Fabrik remnants
> - Removed support for tiles-in-tools
> If anyone cares deeply about the latter two features we can restore them
> but I was more concerned to get a first round of Etoys reloading going.
>
> The result is that you can indeed unload and reload Etoys alongside the
> other packages with no Undeclareds and no obsolete behaviors (although
> there are a few more cleanup steps to be added before all obsolete
> behaviors are gone so you'll likely end up with a few if you try my old
> script). You will also get a few errors if you use various actions from
> halo or during menu creation once you've got Etoys unloaded but like I
> said this is just a step.

Andreas, this is super cool. I want to give the same process a try in an Etoys
image, could you point me to the load/unload commands? (I know you supplied a
page that's in one of the emails .. but I cannot find it now)

Thanks,
 Milan

Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> On January 3, 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> The result is that you can indeed unload and reload Etoys alongside the
>> other packages with no Undeclareds and no obsolete behaviors (although
>> there are a few more cleanup steps to be added before all obsolete
>> behaviors are gone so you'll likely end up with a few if you try my old
>> script). You will also get a few errors if you use various actions from
>> halo or during menu creation once you've got Etoys unloaded but like I
>> said this is just a step.
>
> Andreas, this is super cool. I want to give the same process a try in an Etoys
> image, could you point me to the load/unload commands? (I know you supplied a
> page that's in one of the emails .. but I cannot find it now)

Unfortunately, this won't work in the Etoys image. The restructuring I
had to do only applies to Squeak's trunk images at this point. If you
want to try it, see the updated script I just posted.

Cheers,
   - Andreas