Evaluating Nautilus

hernanmd
First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.

- Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
- There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
--Do you have to define a metagraph?
--May I have multiple definition panels?
-Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
-OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
- Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?

I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Stéphane Ducasse
do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.

Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.

Stef

On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
>
> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
> --May I have multiple definition panels?
> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
>
> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> --
> Hernán Morales
> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
> Internal: 422
> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

EstebanLM
and btw... for that kind of work is incredible simpler to use glamour (you can have exactly the same browser in 15'... I know that because I made it for mongo databases :).
At the unique price of load glamour.

Esteban

On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.
>
> Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
> Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
>>
>> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
>> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
>> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
>> --May I have multiple definition panels?
>> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
>> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
>> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
>>
>> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> --
>> Hernán Morales
>> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
>> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
>> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
>> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
>> Internal: 422
>> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hello :)

This is a nice challenge :)
Firstly, you have to know that the model behind Nautilus is really different that the one behind OB. Let's say nothing in common.
On the other hand, the code pane modification can be made within an hour (maybe two if you are not confident with morphic, but it doesn't seems to be the case) using the plugin mecanism (Johan Fabry can testify ^^).

Then, Nautilus is not cross platform, but we have developed Spec with the goal to use it for Nautilus, and Spec is(will be ^^) cross platform. So one day, Nautilus will be cross platform. Sadly, I will not be soon (I have to rewrite the whole ui).

About the command definition, I am not an OB expert, but I think that Command are used for menu entries.
In Nautilus the menus definition are based on pragma, so any class can extend Nautilus menus.

In a nutshell, what I have seen in the video is doable in roughly a couple of hours :)
If you decide to give a try to Nautilus, let me know, and I will be glad to help/answer question/provide pieces of code etc :)

Ben

[...]

jfabry

On 22 Jun 2012, at 05:18, Benjamin wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, the code pane modification can be made within an hour (maybe two if you are not confident with morphic, but it doesn't seems to be the case) using the plugin mecanism (Johan Fabry can testify ^^).

I testify! :-P

Then, Nautilus is not cross platform, but we have developed Spec with the goal to use it for Nautilus, and Spec is(will be ^^) cross platform. So one day, Nautilus will be cross platform. Sadly, I will not be soon (I have to rewrite the whole ui).

[...]

Looking at the video, I think your best option if you do not want to use glamour is to build a custom browser using Spec. It does not seem like a lot of work, certainly since you already have the logic of the actions in place. The only thing that Spec does not do AFAIK is the dynamic adding of lists in the top pane. Ben is going to have a look at dynamic widget placement etc and this looks like a nice case study :-)

Johan Fabry
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

hernanmd
Hi Esteban

Would you mind to share some link or more comments about Glamour? It would be really nice to see how to do anything beyond code browsing.
Cheers,

Hernán

2012/6/22 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
and btw... for that kind of work is incredible simpler to use glamour (you can have exactly the same browser in 15'... I know that because I made it for mongo databases :).
At the unique price of load glamour.

Esteban

On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.
>
> Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
> Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
>>
>> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
>> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
>> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
>> --May I have multiple definition panels?
>> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
>> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
>> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
>>
>> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> --
>> Hernán Morales
>> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
>> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
>> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
>> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
>> Internal: 422
>> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

hernanmd
Hello Benjamin,

2012/6/22 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
Hello :)

This is a nice challenge :)
Firstly, you have to know that the model behind Nautilus is really different that the one behind OB. Let's say nothing in common.
On the other hand, the code pane modification can be made within an hour (maybe two if you are not confident with morphic, but it doesn't seems to be the case) using the plugin mecanism (Johan Fabry can testify ^^).

Ok, let us know when more Nautilus documentation is available.

Then, Nautilus is not cross platform, but we have developed Spec with the goal to use it for Nautilus, and Spec is(will be ^^) cross platform. So one day, Nautilus will be cross platform. Sadly, I will not be soon (I have to rewrite the whole ui).

thanks for the clarification and status update

About the command definition, I am not an OB expert, but I think that Command are used for menu entries.
In Nautilus the menus definition are based on pragma, so any class can extend Nautilus menus.

Yes, commands in OB are used to define menu entries and their behavior.

In a nutshell, what I have seen in the video is doable in roughly a couple of hours :)
If you decide to give a try to Nautilus, let me know, and I will be glad to help/answer question/provide pieces of code etc :)

Thanks for your reply, I will be in touch.

Hernán

Ben

[...]

For Nautilus I've read a review blog post at http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/nautilus-the-reborn-of-the-systembrowser/ but I didn't found anything else, maybe I'm missing something?

I've installed Nautilus with the following script in a clean Pharo 1.4 core
Gofer it
	url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
	package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
	load.

	(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadRelease
but after some random clicks I've received a SubscriptOutOfBounds exception. I've attached the stack from the debugger and a screenshot.

Hernán

2012/6/23 Benjamin <[hidden email]>
[...]

NB-Test1.txt (44K) Download Attachment
NB-1.jpg (350K) Download Attachment

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hernán Morales Durand wrote
I've installed Nautilus with the following script in a clean Pharo 1.4 core
I've been using the Nautilus 1.4 build on Jenkins... works pretty well

- S
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
You can found some doc here: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Tools-Improvement/NautilusDocumentation

For Pharo 1.4, I try to maintain it a bit, but my focus is on the integration of Nautilus in Pharo 2.0

Ben

On Jun 23, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

[...]

<NB-Test1.txt><NB-1.jpg>

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

hernanmd
Thanks for your answers Benjamin. After reading the chapter I should note the plugin architecture seems very promising, as you've said it, very different from OB. So to create my own browser should I subclass Nautilus? which hook methods should I check first?

Some usability issues:

When I do "Find class...", type Object and Ok, it takes some time to display the class on the browser. Maybe it would be nice to preload first N methods in the method list? (i'm thinking in performance when browsing large lists).
When I bring the menu over a class, there is no "browse hierarchy" option, is this option missing on purpose?

[...]

Thanks, apparently there is an issue with one of the previous CogVM's and Pharo 1.4.

2012/6/23 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>

Hernán Morales Durand wrote

> I've installed Nautilus with the following script in a clean Pharo 1.4
> core

I've been using the Nautilus 1.4 build on Jenkins... works pretty well

- S

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Hernán,

Here are some pointers about Glamour:

- Glamour is an engine for building browsers (not user interfaces, like Spec). From the goal point of view, it is similar to OmniBrowser. However, the concepts behind are different: Glamour can cover significantly more browser flows and presentations, and it offers a DSL.

- Load it in Pharo 1.4 (this loads also several prerequisites):
Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'Glamour';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfGlamour';
        load.
ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDevelopment.

- You can also load only the core by:
(ConfigurationOfGlamour project version: 'default') load: #('Core' 'Morhic')

- Browse the built-in examples:
GLMBasicExamples open.

- Read the chapter from The Moose Book:
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour

You can ask more questions about Glamour also on the Moose mailing list:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/about/contact

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 24 Jun 2012, at 10:06, Tudor Girba wrote:

> - Read the chapter from The Moose Book:
> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour

Every time I look at your websites, documentation, presentations, I am in awe: this is all really well done, very beautiful too. I know how much time this takes from experience, I can only start to imagine the effort that went in.

Sven

On Jun 24, 2012, at 3:55 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

Thanks for your answers Benjamin. After reading the chapter I should note the plugin architecture seems very promising, as you've said it, very different from OB. So to create my own browser should I subclass Nautilus? which hook methods should I check first?

You should create your own plugin I guess :)
In a plugin, you can access the UI, and put another morph instead of the text area, or whatever :)
Have a look a MondrianPlugin, it shows a bit what you can do :)

Some usability issues:

When I do "Find class...", type Object and Ok, it takes some time to display the class on the browser. Maybe it would be nice to preload first N methods in the method list? (i'm thinking in performance when browsing large lists).
When I bring the menu over a class, there is no "browse hierarchy" option, is this option missing on purpose?

This method exists, I just forget to invoke it :)

2012/6/24 Benjamin <[hidden email]>

On Jun 24, 2012, at 3:55 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

Thanks for your answers Benjamin. After reading the chapter I should note the plugin architecture seems very promising, as you've said it, very different from OB. So to create my own browser should I subclass Nautilus? which hook methods should I check first?

You should create your own plugin I guess :)
In a plugin, you can access the UI, and put another morph instead of the text area, or whatever :)

cool, now is clearer to me the scope of plugins

Have a look a MondrianPlugin, it shows a bit what you can do :)

Some usability issues:

When I do "Find class...", type Object and Ok, it takes some time to display the class on the browser. Maybe it would be nice to preload first N methods in the method list? (i'm thinking in performance when browsing large lists).
When I bring the menu over a class, there is no "browse hierarchy" option, is this option missing on purpose?

This method exists, I just forget to invoke it :)

I don't know other people, but I use it a lot to browse whole hierarchies.