Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evaluating Nautilus

hernanmd
First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.

- Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
- There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
--Do you have to define a metagraph?
--May I have multiple definition panels?
-Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
-OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
- Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?

I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales
Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
Internal: 422
Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Evaluating Nautilus

Stéphane Ducasse
do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.

Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.

Stef

On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
>
> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
> --May I have multiple definition panels?
> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
>
> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> --
> Hernán Morales
> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
> Internal: 422
> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.
>

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
and btw... for that kind of work is incredible simpler to use glamour (you can have exactly the same browser in 15'... I know that because I made it for mongo databases :).
At the unique price of load glamour.

Esteban

On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.
>
> Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
> Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
>>
>> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
>> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
>> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
>> --May I have multiple definition panels?
>> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
>> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
>> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
>>
>> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> --
>> Hernán Morales
>> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
>> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
>> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
>> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
>> Internal: 422
>> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
In reply to this post by hernanmd
Hello :)

This is a nice challenge :)
Firstly, you have to know that the model behind Nautilus is really different that the one behind OB. Let's say nothing in common.
On the other hand, the code pane modification can be made within an hour (maybe two if you are not confident with morphic, but it doesn't seems to be the case) using the plugin mecanism (Johan Fabry can testify ^^).

Then, Nautilus is not cross platform, but we have developed Spec with the goal to use it for Nautilus, and Spec is(will be ^^) cross platform. So one day, Nautilus will be cross platform. Sadly, I will not be soon (I have to rewrite the whole ui).

About the command definition, I am not an OB expert, but I think that Command are used for menu entries.
In Nautilus the menus definition are based on pragma, so any class can extend Nautilus menus.

In a nutshell, what I have seen in the video is doable in roughly a couple of hours :)
If you decide to give a try to Nautilus, let me know, and I will be glad to help/answer question/provide pieces of code etc :)

Ben

First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.

- Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
- There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
-OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
- Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?

I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

Reply | Threaded
|

jfabry

On 22 Jun 2012, at 05:18, Benjamin wrote:

[...]

On the other hand, the code pane modification can be made within an hour (maybe two if you are not confident with morphic, but it doesn't seems to be the case) using the plugin mecanism (Johan Fabry can testify ^^).

I testify! :-P

Then, Nautilus is not cross platform, but we have developed Spec with the goal to use it for Nautilus, and Spec is(will be ^^) cross platform. So one day, Nautilus will be cross platform. Sadly, I will not be soon (I have to rewrite the whole ui).

[...]

Looking at the video, I think your best option if you do not want to use glamour is to build a custom browser using Spec. It does not seem like a lot of work, certainly since you already have the logic of the actions in place. The only thing that Spec does not do AFAIK is the dynamic adding of lists in the top pane. Ben is going to have a look at dynamic widget placement etc and this looks like a nice case study :-)

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   
PLEIAD Lab - Computer Science Department (DCC) - University of Chile

Reply | Threaded
|

hernanmd
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Hi Esteban

Would you mind to share some link or more comments about Glamour? It would be really nice to see how to do anything beyond code browsing.
Cheers,

Hernán

2012/6/22 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
and btw... for that kind of work is incredible simpler to use glamour (you can have exactly the same browser in 15'... I know that because I made it for mongo databases :).
At the unique price of load glamour.

Esteban

On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.
>
> Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
> Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>
>> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
>>
>> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
>> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
>> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
>> --May I have multiple definition panels?
>> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
>> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
>> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
>>
>> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> --
>> Hernán Morales
>> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
>> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
>> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
>> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
>> Internal: 422
>> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

hernanmd
In reply to this post by Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hello Benjamin,

2012/6/22 Benjamin <[hidden email]>

Firstly, you have to know that the model behind Nautilus is really different that the one behind OB. Let's say nothing in common.

Ok, let us know when more Nautilus documentation is available.

thanks for the clarification and status update

About the command definition, I am not an OB expert, but I think that Command are used for menu entries.
In Nautilus the menus definition are based on pragma, so any class can extend Nautilus menus.

Yes, commands in OB are used to define menu entries and their behavior.

In a nutshell, what I have seen in the video is doable in roughly a couple of hours :)
If you decide to give a try to Nautilus, let me know, and I will be glad to help/answer question/provide pieces of code etc :)

Thanks for your reply, I will be in touch.

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

Reply | Threaded
|

What have you read already ?

Ben

On Jun 23, 2012, at 7:18 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

Hello Benjamin,

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

Reply | Threaded
|

hernanmd
For Nautilus I've read a review blog post at http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/nautilus-the-reborn-of-the-systembrowser/ but I didn't found anything else, maybe I'm missing something?

I've installed Nautilus with the following script in a clean Pharo 1.4 core
Gofer it
	url: 'http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/Nautilus';
	package: 'ConfigurationOfNautilus';
	load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfNautilus) perform: #loadRelease
but after some random clicks I've received a SubscriptOutOfBounds exception. I've attached the stack from the debugger and a screenshot.

Hernán

2012/6/23 Benjamin <[hidden email]>

Ben

Hello Benjamin,

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

--
Hernán Morales

NB-Test1.txt (44K) Download Attachment
NB-1.jpg (350K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hernán Morales Durand wrote
I've been using the Nautilus 1.4 build on Jenkins... works pretty well

- S
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

You can found some doc here: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Tools-Improvement/NautilusDocumentation

For Pharo 1.4, I try to maintain it a bit, but my focus is on the integration of Nautilus in Pharo 2.0

Ben

On Jun 23, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

For Nautilus I've read a review blog post at http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/nautilus-the-reborn-of-the-systembrowser/ but I didn't found anything else, maybe I'm missing something?

Gofer it
	load.

but after some random clicks I've received a SubscriptOutOfBounds exception. I've attached the stack from the debugger and a screenshot.

Hernán

Ben

Hello Benjamin,

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

--
Hernán Morales

<NB-Test1.txt><NB-1.jpg>

Reply | Threaded
|

hernanmd
Thanks for your answers Benjamin. After reading the chapter I should note the plugin architecture seems very promising, as you've said it, very different from OB. So to create my own browser should I subclass Nautilus? which hook methods should I check first?

Some usability issues:

When I do "Find class...", type Object and Ok, it takes some time to display the class on the browser. Maybe it would be nice to preload first N methods in the method list? (i'm thinking in performance when browsing large lists).
When I bring the menu over a class, there is no "browse hierarchy" option, is this option missing on purpose?

Cheers,

Hernán

You can found some doc here: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Tools-Improvement/NautilusDocumentation

For Pharo 1.4, I try to maintain it a bit, but my focus is on the integration of Nautilus in Pharo 2.0

Ben

Gofer it
	load.

Hernán

Ben

Hello Benjamin,

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

Reply | Threaded
|

hernanmd
In reply to this post by Sean P. DeNigris
Thanks, apparently there is an issue with one of the previous CogVM's and Pharo 1.4.

2012/6/23 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>

Hernán Morales Durand wrote
>
> I've installed Nautilus with the following script in a clean Pharo 1.4
> core
>

I've been using the Nautilus 1.4 build on Jenkins... works pretty well

- S

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Evaluating-Nautilus-tp4636056p4636280.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Hernán,

Here are some pointers about Glamour:

- Glamour is an engine for building browsers (not user interfaces, like Spec). From the goal point of view, it is similar to OmniBrowser. However, the concepts behind are different: Glamour can cover significantly more browser flows and presentations, and it offers a DSL.

- Load it in Pharo 1.4 (this loads also several prerequisites):
Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'Glamour';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfGlamour';
        load.
ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDevelopment.

- You can also load only the core by:
(ConfigurationOfGlamour project version: 'default') load: #('Core' 'Morhic')

- Browse the built-in examples:
GLMBasicExamples open.

- Read the chapter from The Moose Book:
http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour

You can ask more questions about Glamour also on the Moose mailing list:
http://www.moosetechnology.org/about/contact

Cheers,
Doru

On 23 Jun 2012, at 07:09, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Esteban
>
> Would you mind to share some link or more comments about Glamour? It would be really nice to see how to do anything beyond code browsing.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2012/6/22 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> and btw... for that kind of work is incredible simpler to use glamour (you can have exactly the same browser in 15'... I know that because I made it for mongo databases :).
> At the unique price of load glamour.
>
> Esteban
>
> On Jun 22, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > do not confuse Nautilus and Spec. Nautilus is (or should be) defined using Spec.
> >
> > Spec is the framework for building UI. We are slowly rewriting all the tools based on spec while learning and improving Spec.
> > Ideally we would like to be able to reuse a builder PAINTER (a tool to place widgets on the screen) and to generate Spec.
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > On Jun 22, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
> >
> >> First let me apologize for asking without properly evaluating first. I took some time and read about Nautilus which it seems a very nice work. I've developed a phylogenetics classifier using OmniBrowser, but I wondered if Nautilus could save me some effort, and I'm planning to test Pharo 1.4 or 2.0 in some future in which AFAIK OmniBrowser will not be supported anymore.
> >>
> >> - Some time ago I've modified the OmniBrowser framework to browse anything I wanted in the "code pane" (the lower pane typically used for displaying/editing code), as we had a complex OODB it was very useful, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxUaOFRHFPk for a demo. However it was not easy to understand the OB internals and make the modifications. Have you tried to implement such feature in Nautilus?
> >> - There is documentation for developing browsers with Nautilus? Something which explains the basic architecture, how it differs from OB? for example:
> >> --Do you have to define a metagraph?
> >> --May I have multiple definition panels?
> >> -Do you have a mapping for each node type (class?) with each column?
> >> -OB is not cross-UI (it depends on Morphic). Can I use a Nautilus browser within a web browser?
> >> - Another thing which is really easy is to define Commands in OB, (although the #isActive logic could become a mess without some care). How it is different in Nautilus?
> >>
> >> I'm sure I would rewrite my browsers with Nautilus, my key question is how much of the OB knowledge I can re-use?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Hernán
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hernán Morales
> >> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
> >> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
> >> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> >> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
> >> Internal: 422
> >> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.
> >>
> >
> >
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 24 Jun 2012, at 10:06, Tudor Girba wrote:

> - Read the chapter from The Moose Book:
> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/internals/glamour

Every time I look at your websites, documentation, presentations, I am in awe: this is all really well done, very beautiful too. I know how much time this takes from experience, I can only start to imagine the effort that went in.

Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

On Jun 24, 2012, at 3:55 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

Thanks for your answers Benjamin. After reading the chapter I should note the plugin architecture seems very promising, as you've said it, very different from OB. So to create my own browser should I subclass Nautilus? which hook methods should I check first?

You should create your own plugin I guess :)
In a plugin, you can access the UI, and put another morph instead of the text area, or whatever :)
Have a look a MondrianPlugin, it shows a bit what you can do :)

Some usability issues:

When I do "Find class...", type Object and Ok, it takes some time to display the class on the browser. Maybe it would be nice to preload first N methods in the method list? (i'm thinking in performance when browsing large lists).
When I bring the menu over a class, there is no "browse hierarchy" option, is this option missing on purpose?

This method exists, I just forget to invoke it :)

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

Ben

Gofer it
	load.

Hernán

Ben

Hello Benjamin,

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales

Reply | Threaded
|

hernanmd

2012/6/24 Benjamin <[hidden email]>

On Jun 24, 2012, at 3:55 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

You should create your own plugin I guess :)
In a plugin, you can access the UI, and put another morph instead of the text area, or whatever :)

cool, now is clearer to me the scope of plugins

Have a look a MondrianPlugin, it shows a bit what you can do :)

Some usability issues:

This method exists, I just forget to invoke it :)

I don't know other people, but I use it a lot to browse whole hierarchies.

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

Ben

Gofer it
	load.

Hernán

Ben

Hello Benjamin,

Hernán

Ben

Cheers,

Hernán

--
Hernán Morales