EventSensor>>createMouseEvent

Igor Stasenko
Hi,
i found this method used only in two places in my image:

Rectangle>>newRectFrom:
Rectangle>>newRectButtonPressedDo:

i think it could be candidate for removal along with #newRect's

Still, i think it is useful to create graphics primitives based on user input.
But i think that Rectangle is inappropriate place for it, where it
hard-wiring with many globals and Morpic framework.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: EventSensor>>createMouseEvent

Hilaire Fernandes-4
I suspect external applicatiom may want this method

2009/2/15 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> i found this method used only in two places in my image:
>
> Rectangle>>newRectFrom:
> Rectangle>>newRectButtonPressedDo:
>
> i think it could be candidate for removal along with #newRect's
>
> Still, i think it is useful to create graphics primitives based on user input.
> But i think that Rectangle is inappropriate place for it, where it
> hard-wiring with many globals and Morpic framework.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Re: EventSensor>>createMouseEvent

Alexandre Bergel
Just an idea. Maybe we should identify the set of important
applications that enhancement of Pharo should not break.
I think that Seaside, Pier, OB, Aida, Monticello are probably the most
important applications for Pharo.
We should definitely do not preserve backward compatibility.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

2009/2/15 Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]>:
> I suspect external applicatiom may want this method

As to me, this is too low-level for external app to bother with.
See how much handing it needed to work correctly in #newRectFrom:.
There is also an equivalent ways to synthesize events using morphic.

> 2009/2/15 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>> i found this method used only in two places in my image:
>>
>> Rectangle>>newRectFrom:
>> Rectangle>>newRectButtonPressedDo:
>>
>> i think it could be candidate for removal along with #newRect's
>>
>> Still, i think it is useful to create graphics primitives based on user input.
>> But i think that Rectangle is inappropriate place for it, where it
>> hard-wiring with many globals and Morpic framework.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

> http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: EventSensor>>createMouseEvent

Igor Stasenko
Its a common practice in such cases (like in newRectFrom:)
to capture a mouse events directly.
So, i'd rather add a method to Hand or less likely Sensor, which will
hide details from consumer and could be used like:

Word activeHand captureMouseDuring: [:event |
   .. process the event ...
   event anyButtonPressed "if block returns true - keep capture and
release otherwise , on non-local return - release as well"
 ]

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: EventSensor>>createMouseEvent

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Alexandre,

A small refinement: backward compatibility is good when we are being compatible with things that are well designed.  It is bad when it preserves cruft and inhibits progress.  That said, +1

I am also pleased to see Aida on your list.  I recently re-discovered it and am wondering how to compare it and Seaside.  I have _no_ idea which way I would go on that, but guidance would be appreciated.

Bill

----
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bschwab AT anest DOT ufl DOT edu