Evolution of the number of classes as a proxy of system clompexity

Evolution of the number of classes as a proxy of system clompexity

nacho
I really love Cuis. I love the idea of a simple and clean kernel, comprehensible to a single individual and then packages if something else is required. I agree 100% with Juan's statement that sometimes the system becomes so complex that no further progress is possible and as a great proportion of the system's code is unintelligible it turns into "legacy code".
I took some time to watch the number of classes of Squeak and Pharo using the number of classes in a base system as a proxy for system complexity.
Here are the results:
Squeak release 1.31 : 496   classes
Squeak release 2.80 : 1283 classes
Squeak release 3.00 : 1545 classes
Squeak release 3.90 : 2046 classes
Squeak release 4.40 : 2218 classes

Pharo release 1.30   : 3290 classes
Pharo release 1.40   : 2949 classes
Pharo release 2.00   : 3250 classes
Pharo release 3.00   : 3846 classes

Cuis release 4.2 is smaller than Squeak 1.31!!!

take care
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Evolution of the number of classes as a proxy of system clompexity

garduino
hehe, attached is the slide 7 of my talk in Smalltalks2013

2013/12/7 nacho <[hidden email]>
[...]

-----
Nacho
Smalltalker apprentice.
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Captura de pantalla 2013-12-07 a la(s) 11.04.59.png (257K) Download Attachment

Re: Evolution of the number of classes as a proxy of system clompexity

nacho
Exactly Germán.
I do use Pharo a LOT and it's great. But it's very easy to get lost between that class-jungle.
I love the idea of a simple kernel or core smalltalk enviroment and then grow from there according to one's own needs.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Evolution of the number of classes as a proxy of system clompexity

Juan Vuletich-4
:)