Exception converting aString to Time

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

Tracking a test failure of my Application on GS 3.4.1 i found the following:
Number fromString: 'hello'.
Date fromString: 'hello'.
Boolean fromString: 'hello'.
TimeStamp fromString: 'hello'.
Time fromString: 'hello'.

From 1 to 4 raise anException but (Time fromString: 'hello') answer a valid
Time instance.

It seems a bug to me ...

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Exception converting aString to Time

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

There are more "strange" results in Time>>fromString: method. On GS 3.4.1
this method belong to Monticello package.

Time fromString: '01256asd'. "08:00:00"
Time fromString: '0125asd'. "05:00:00"
Time fromString: '~~~'. "00:00:00"
Time fromString: '112'.  "16:00:00"
Time fromString: '1100'. "20:00:00"

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Exception converting aString to Time

GLASS mailing list
Thanks Bruno ... I've submitted a bug[1] for this and expect to have a
bugfix in a day or so ... I'll fold it into my Magritte work:) Hopefully
I won't encounter anything that depends upon the current behavior...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit/issues/115

On 5/4/19 2:16 PM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
> Number fromString: 'hello'.
> Date fromString: 'hello'.
> Boolean fromString: 'hello'.
> TimeStamp fromString: 'hello'.

Re: Exception converting aString to Time

GLASS mailing list

As I suspected, there is the potential for breaking existing code as Pharo3.0 only produced an error for `~~~`:

{
    Time fromString: '01256asd'.
    Time fromString: '0125asd'.
    Time fromString: '~~~'.
    Time fromString: '112'.
    Time fromString: '1100'
}
Pharo 3.0:                                  an Array(8:00 am 5:00 am ERROR 4:00 pm 8:00 pm)

I made proposed changes to GemStone (Time class>>readFrom:) where the code produces errors for the first three cases:

GemStone 3.4.3 (with my proposed patch):    anArray( ERROR, ERROR, ERROR 16:00:00, 20:00:00)
I think that it is reasonble to fail in the first three cases, but I am concerned that existing code may depend upon the first two cases running without error and perhaps even the third case ... I would like to hear opinions from a few more folks before pushing my changes to master ...

Dale

On 5/5/19 10:53 AM, BrunoBB via Glass wrote:
Hi,

There are more "strange" results in Time>>fromString: method. On GS 3.4.1
this method belong to Monticello package.

Time fromString: '01256asd'. "08:00:00"
Time fromString: '0125asd'. "05:00:00"
Time fromString: '~~~'. "00:00:00"
Time fromString: '112'.  "16:00:00"
Time fromString: '1100'. "20:00:00"

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Exception converting aString to Time

GLASS mailing list
Dale,

Thanks for the explanation.
But for me there is not hurry.
The system i working on take some XML data from Java application the Time
exception is handler but so far the time XML node always come in the
expected format :)

regards,
bruno

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Re: Exception converting aString to Time

GLASS mailing list
Okay ... I'll push my changes to a separate issue branch, so it will be
there if needed, but I'll defer merging it into master until we have a
better understanding of the impacts of the change ...

DAke