Expacted Resource (RAM) requirements to run Pharo

Expacted Resource (RAM) requirements to run Pharo

Rudi Ludwig
Hello,

so I got interested in Smalltalk (again) installed Pharo and
ran the ProfStef tutorial. I'm not a programmer, just interested :-)

To be more precise, I followed the link on the Pharo homepage
Download directory and installed from

squeakvm.org/unix : Squeak-3.11.3.2135-solaris2.10_i386.tar.gz  in
- /usr/local/Squeak-3.11.3.2135-solaris2.10_i386

and from Pharo: Pharo-1.0-10515-rc3dev10.03.1  in my home directory.

OS: OpenSolaris b127.

Now while that worked --I can start Squeak (/usr/local/../bin/squeak.sh)
chose the Pharo Image form the file browser that opens and go.
Just following the integrated tutorial (ProfStef) and having maybe one
more ClassBrowser open, at some point consumed 780 MB RAM (RSS).

Question:
Is that the expacted behavior (resource requirement)
or is there something wrong with the steps I choose to run Pharo,
although apparently they worked?

There is a "PharoDebug.log" 180+kB large from that session, I can
provide on request. (Didn't want to send it to whole list directly).

Rudi

Re: Expacted Resource (RAM) requirements to run Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Rudi Ludwig <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

so I got interested in Smalltalk (again) installed Pharo and
ran the ProfStef tutorial. I'm not a programmer, just interested :-)

To be more precise, I followed the link on the Pharo homepage
Download directory and installed from

squeakvm.org/unix : Squeak-3.11.3.2135-solaris2.10_i386.tar.gz  in
- /usr/local/Squeak-3.11.3.2135-solaris2.10_i386

and from Pharo: Pharo-1.0-10515-rc3dev10.03.1  in my home directory.

OS: OpenSolaris b127.

Now while that worked --I can start Squeak (/usr/local/../bin/squeak.sh)
chose the Pharo Image form the file browser that opens and go.
Just following the integrated tutorial (ProfStef) and having maybe one
more ClassBrowser open, at some point consumed 780 MB RAM (RSS).

Hi, of course that's not common. You should be using 50MB or similar....you have a problem there.
Can you try another VM, for example this one:
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24736/pharo-vm-0.15.2f-linux.zip

Or....the one click image:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/26774/Pharo-1.0-10515-rc3dev.zip
where you have just un unzip and ./Pharo.sh

Cheers

Mariano