Expected menu items not there

Tim Rowe-2
As a total Squeak newbie (as of this evening!) I'm having some trouble following
through the Squeak by Example eBook.

Early on, the boo gets me to type:
Time now
in a workspace, yellow-click and select print it. That worked fine.

Now I'm in chapter two, I've created the SBECell class and tring to inspect it,
but when I yellow click on anything in a workspace window I don't get the same
list of items. Even if I go back to what worked:
Time now
a yellow click doesn't give me the option of print it!

The options I get are:

Set font
Set style
Set alignment
--
make project link
--
find
find again

Can anybody work out what I've done, and what I need to do to get the print it
and inspect it menu items back?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Re: Expected menu items not there

K. K. Subramaniam
On Wednesday 09 December 2009 07:52:58 am Tim Rowe wrote:
> Can anybody work out what I've done, and what I need to do to get the print
>  it and inspect it menu items back?
 What you are seeing is the shift-yellow-click menu. You will see this if your
caps-lock got turned on accidentally.

Subbu

2009/12/9 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 07:52:58 am Tim Rowe wrote:
>> Can anybody work out what I've done, and what I need to do to get the print
>>  it and inspect it menu items back?
>  What you are seeing is the shift-yellow-click menu. You will see this if your
> caps-lock got turned on accidentally.

Hmm. No, caps-lock isn't on (as you can see!), and if I
shift-yellow-click I get the following menu:

explain
pretty print
pretty print with color
file it in
tiles from it
spawn
--
browse it
senders of it
implementors of it
references to it
--
selectors containing it
method strings with it

So it looks as if there's something else going on.

--
Tim Rowe

Re: Expected menu items not there

David Mitchell-10
Are you running on Linux, Windows, or Mac? The mapping of physical
mouse buttons to logical (color) buttons is different on each.

2009/12/9 David Mitchell <[hidden email]>:
> Are you running on Linux, Windows, or Mac? The mapping of physical
> mouse buttons to logical (color) buttons is different on each.

This was under Windows XP, but as I said the same mouse button had
earlier worked (and the remaining buttons highlighted the text and
produced the halo, respectively).

--
Tim Rowe

Re: Expected menu items not there

prwnkl

Tim,

I have been at Squeak for only a couple of weeks but if you have a Mac with a one button mouse like I do you have to use AppleKey + Enter to "print".

Good Luck

Lance

2009/12/10 prwnkl <[hidden email]>:
> Tim,
>
> I have been at Squeak for only a couple of weeks but if you have a Mac with
> a one button mouse like I do you have to use AppleKey + Enter to "print".

No, this is under Windows, so I have a 2-button plus scrollwheel mouse.

I also have Linux, and I've carried on learning Squeak there, but I
usually work in Windows so that involves an inconvenient reboot.

Is it worth me attaching a screenshot? (are binaries allowed here?)
This is getting more than a little annoying, and I'm at the point of
adding "doesn't work" to my mental list of reasons for poor adoption
of Squeak :-(

--
Tim Rowe

Re: Expected menu items not there

Alex Schenkman
I'm sorry Tim, but I don't understand your question.
Could you rephrase it please?

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 09:05:13 pm Tim Rowe wrote:
> Is it worth me attaching a screenshot? (are binaries allowed here?)
Yes (and Yes). It would help. Include the version number (help->about this
system) and swapMouseButtons preference (help->preferences->General).

Happy Holidays .. Subbu

2009/12/15 Alex Schenkman <[hidden email]>:
> I'm sorry Tim, but I don't understand your question.
> Could you rephrase it please?

Ok. I'm a complete newcomer to Squeak, and indeed to Smalltalk,
although I am an experienced programmer, having worked by way through
FORTRAN, Pascal, C, C++, C#, Ada an Python in my time.

I'm trying to learn Squeak on Windows XP, working my way through
Squeak By Example (http://squeakbyexample.org//SBE.pdf)

A fairly early exercise is to open a workspace window and a transcript
window, and, in the workspace window, to type
   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
Then highlight it, yellow-click on it (right-click on my system), and
select "do it (d)".

That worked fine.

However, after doing some of the further exercises in the book I'm
again asked to select some text in the workspace window and select "do
it (d)". Now, though, the "do it (d)" menu option doesn't appear when
I yellow (right) click, just the options I showed in my original
posting. In case it was something to do with what I had in the
workspace window, I went back to the original excercise that had
previously worked. I typed
   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
Then highlighted it, yellow-clicked on it (right-click on my system),
and sure enough, "do it (d)" no longer appeared on that menu either. I
no longer seem to be able to execute anything at all from a workspace
window (which seems rather limiting, to say the least!)

--
Tim Rowe

Re: Expected menu items not there

Bert Freudenberg
On 15.12.2009, at 16:35, Tim Rowe wrote:

> 2009/12/10 prwnkl <[hidden email]>:
>> Tim,
>>
>> I have been at Squeak for only a couple of weeks but if you have a Mac with
>> a one button mouse like I do you have to use AppleKey + Enter to "print".
>
> No, this is under Windows, so I have a 2-button plus scrollwheel mouse.
>
> I also have Linux, and I've carried on learning Squeak there, but I
> usually work in Windows so that involves an inconvenient reboot.
>
> Is it worth me attaching a screenshot? (are binaries allowed here?)
> This is getting more than a little annoying, and I'm at the point of
> adding "doesn't work" to my mental list of reasons for poor adoption
> of Squeak :-(

The menu you said is displayed seems to match the "yellowButtonNoviceMenu".

So, can you make sure you do not have the noviceMode preference enabled?

Also, which image are you using? In the images I tried, noviceMode disables various keyboard shortcuts, like for evaluating expressions, but the menu entries were still there (which probably is a bug, they should be removed from the menu if the short cuts are disabled).

- Bert -

2009/12/15 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> The menu you said is displayed seems to match the "yellowButtonNoviceMenu".
>
> So, can you make sure you do not have the noviceMode preference enabled?

Aha! Yes, that was it. Relief all round.

Many thanks.

--
Tim Rowe

On 15.12.2009, at 16:53, Tim Rowe wrote:

> 2009/12/15 Alex Schenkman <[hidden email]>:
>> I'm sorry Tim, but I don't understand your question.
>> Could you rephrase it please?
>
> Ok. I'm a complete newcomer to Squeak, and indeed to Smalltalk,
> although I am an experienced programmer, having worked by way through
> FORTRAN, Pascal, C, C++, C#, Ada an Python in my time.
>
> I'm trying to learn Squeak on Windows XP, working my way through
> Squeak By Example (http://squeakbyexample.org//SBE.pdf)
>
> A fairly early exercise is to open a workspace window and a transcript
> window, and, in the workspace window, to type
>   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
> Then highlight it, yellow-click on it (right-click on my system), and
> select "do it (d)".
>
> That worked fine.
>
> However, after doing some of the further exercises in the book I'm
> again asked to select some text in the workspace window and select "do
> it (d)". Now, though, the "do it (d)" menu option doesn't appear when
> I yellow (right) click, just the options I showed in my original
> posting. In case it was something to do with what I had in the
> workspace window, I went back to the original excercise that had
> previously worked. I typed
>   Transcript show: 'hello world'; cr.
> Then highlighted it, yellow-clicked on it (right-click on my system),
> and sure enough, "do it (d)" no longer appeared on that menu either. I
> no longer seem to be able to execute anything at all from a workspace
> window (which seems rather limiting, to say the least!)

Indeed. Does the usual shortcut still work (Cmd-p on Mac, Alt-p on PCs)?

The menu isn't really used in daily work, just at the very beginning.

If all else fails (and noviceMode is not to blame), please download a fresh version. The changes you make in an image are permanent, which is powerful and dangerous at the same time.

- Bert -

On 15.12.2009, at 16:58, Tim Rowe wrote:

> 2009/12/15 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>
>> The menu you said is displayed seems to match the "yellowButtonNoviceMenu".
>>
>> So, can you make sure you do not have the noviceMode preference enabled?
>
> Aha! Yes, that was it. Relief all round.
>
> Many thanks.

Ah, great. Ignore my other message then.

But please let us know the image you were using (as Subbu suggested, it's in Help - About this system).

- Bert -

Re: Expected menu items not there

Tim Rowe-2
2009/12/15 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> Ah, great. Ignore my other message then.
>
> But please let us know the image you were using (as Subbu suggested, it's in Help - About this system).

3.10.2 #7179

--
Tim Rowe

Re: Expected menu items not there

Tim Rowe-2
2009/12/15 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> If all else fails (and noviceMode is not to blame), please download a fresh version. The changes you make in an image are permanent, which is powerful and dangerous at the same time.

I was deliberately avoiding loading a new image, because I was worried
the same problem might recur when I had more to lose! So I was keen to
get at what the actual problem was.

--
Tim Rowe

Re[2]: Expected menu items not there

Herbert König
Hi Tim,

TR> I was deliberately avoiding loading a new image, because I was worried
TR> the same problem might recur when I had more to lose! So I was keen to
TR> get at what the actual problem was.

just as a bit of reassurement, Squeak saves anything you accepted in
the .changes file. Even the doIts. So you really have to kill your
changes file to loose source.

If you haven't reached the Monticello part yet (Squeak's source code
versioning system), here is a simple way to save your source:

In each of the top Browser panes the right click menu (Windows) has a
"fileout" item to save the method, the whole method category or the
class or the whole class category. This depends on the pane you
clicked.

One method to get source back (also into a fresh image):

From the World Menu (open) or the Tools Flap you get a FileList. If
you select a .st file you get the option to file it in or to browse
the code.

If you select the .changes file you get the option to select recent
changes. Which you then can browse and selectively file in.

So actually it's harder to loose source in Squeak than in non
Smalltalk systems.

Which does not say that "noviceMode" not being "novice programmer
mode" is at least confusing :-))

Herbert