Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?

12

Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?

FDominicus
Just wondering if and where one can find stories about this combination.

Regards
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?

jgfoster
On Mar 30, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Just wondering if and where one can find stories about this combination.
>
> Regards
> Friedrich

Friedrich,

What sort of "combination" are you interested in? As to Seaside, a common approach is to develop in Squeak or Pharo and then port to GemStone. GemStone has a mailing list with an archive (http://n4.nabble.com/GLASS-f1460844.html) that might be useful. You can join the discussion (follow the links at http://seaside.gemstone.com/support.html).

As to using Squeak for the application and GemStone as the database, this is not common since there are no generally supported libraries for object replication. Of course it can be (and has been) done. You can use the libraries in GemTools as an example of communicating to/from GemStone from Squeak.

James

re: Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?

Stephan Eggermont-3
We develop in Pharo and then deploy in Gemstone.

As Pharo is a moving target and Gemstone has a fussy parser
and different frameworks, the development monticello files
are integrated (at least) daily against a local running
Gemstone/appliance.

When we started, we waited too long before porting to
Gemstone. Some things to be aware of:
- don't end the first line of the method with a dot;
- don't end a method with multiple empty lines;
- method parameters should not shadow instance variables;
- method length is not unlimited

Stephan Eggermont

re: Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?

Lukas Renggli
> When we started, we waited too long before porting to
> Gemstone. Some things to be aware of:
> - don't end the first line of the method with a dot;
> - don't end a method with multiple empty lines;
> - method parameters should not shadow instance variables;
> - method length is not unlimited

Actually the first issue is detected by Slime.

The third point (shadowing) should be fixed in the latest Pharo thanks to Jorge.

The second and last should be detected by Slime too. Can you provide
more details?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Slime (was: Re: re: Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?)

Tobias Pape

Am 2010-04-03 um 11:16 schrieb Lukas Renggli:

>> When we started, we waited too long before porting to
>> Gemstone. Some things to be aware of:
>> - don't end the first line of the method with a dot;
>> - don't end a method with multiple empty lines;
>> - method parameters should not shadow instance variables;
>> - method length is not unlimited
>
> Actually the first issue is detected by Slime.

Just being curious,
Is it possible to get Slime w/o Omnibrowser?

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: Slime (was: Re: re: Experiences with Squeak and Gemstone?)

Lukas Renggli

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/programmatically-run-lint

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Am 2010-04-03 um 11:32 schrieb Lukas Renggli:

>>> Actually the first issue is detected by Slime.
>>
>> Just being curious,
>> Is it possible to get Slime w/o Omnibrowser?
>
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/programmatically-run-lint

That is, no UI for Slime besides OB? I think it's a pity.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: Slime

Frank Shearar
Tobias Pape wrote:

>>> Just being curious,
>>> Is it possible to get Slime w/o Omnibrowser?
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/programmatically-run-lint
>
> That is, no UI for Slime besides OB? I think it's a pity.

Sounds like a job for a Squeaker :)

frank

Re: Slime

Tobias Pape

Am 2010-04-03 um 12:44 schrieb Frank Shearar:

> Tobias Pape wrote:
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/programmatically-run-lint
>> That is, no UI for Slime besides OB? I think it's a pity.
>
> Sounds like a job for a Squeaker :)

I've done SwaLint with a couple of fello students about
two years ago that included the (former called SLint or SmallLint)
Rules. If I've got some more time, I probably will be able
to Integrate the slime rules and re-publish SwaLint (hopefully
trunk-ready…)

Lukas, are you interested in SwaLint as kind-of stand-alone
UI for slime, too?

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: Slime

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas, are you interested in SwaLint as kind-of stand-alone
> UI for slime, too?

In additional Lint rules yes, in additional UIs no.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Slime

Tobias Pape

Am 2010-04-03 um 13:35 schrieb Lukas Renggli:

>> Lukas, are you interested in SwaLint as kind-of stand-alone
>> UI for slime, too?
>
> In additional Lint rules yes, in additional UIs no.

So, if OB is a no-go, I've got no UI left?

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: Slime

Lukas Renggli
>>> Lukas, are you interested in SwaLint as kind-of stand-alone
>>> UI for slime, too?
>>
>> In additional Lint rules yes, in additional UIs no.
>
> So, if OB is a no-go, I've got no UI left?

I don't know. I love OB.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Slime

Ralph Johnson
Why would OB be a no-go?  I am very happy with OB, and like it better than any other Squeak browser.

-Ralph

Re: Slime

Andreas.Raab
On 4/3/2010 7:54 AM, Ralph Johnson wrote:
> Why would OB be a no-go?  I am very happy with OB, and like it better
> than any other Squeak browser.

I can't speak for others but in my experience OB is too slow to be of
any use. When interactions on a 2GHz dual-core box take seconds I can't
get work done.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Slime

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/3/2010 7:54 AM, Ralph Johnson wrote:
>> Why would OB be a no-go?  I am very happy with OB, and like it better
>> than any other Squeak browser.
>
> I can't speak for others but in my experience OB is too slow to be of any
> use. When interactions on a 2GHz dual-core box take seconds I can't get work
> done.

I think that was OB + some other stuff (like automatic method
categorization). OB in itself is as fast as the default browser and
some has great features.
What I'm really missing is "Recent classes..." from the menu and the
movable splitters between the upper panels (aka resizeable panels). It's
really a PITA to resize the full browser to see the name of the current
category/class/protocol/method.

Levente

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: Slime

Andreas.Raab
On 4/3/2010 10:37 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/2010 7:54 AM, Ralph Johnson wrote:
>>> Why would OB be a no-go? I am very happy with OB, and like it better
>>> than any other Squeak browser.
>>
>> I can't speak for others but in my experience OB is too slow to be of
>> any use. When interactions on a 2GHz dual-core box take seconds I
>> can't get work done.
>
> I think that was OB + some other stuff (like automatic method
> categorization). OB in itself is as fast as the default browser and some
> has great features.

Interesting. My encounters with OB mostly originate from Pharo where
it's always been dog-slow so I was never interested in looked deeper.
Any ideas how to install OB without that stuff?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> What I'm really missing is "Recent classes..." from the menu and the
> movable splitters between the upper panels (aka resizeable panels). It's
> really a PITA to resize the full browser to see the name of the current
> category/class/protocol/method.
>

> Levente
>

>> Cheers,
>> - Andreas

Re: Slime

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/3/2010 10:37 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> I can't speak for others but in my experience OB is too slow to be of
>>> any use. When interactions on a 2GHz dual-core box take seconds I
>>> can't get work done.
>>
>> I think that was OB + some other stuff (like automatic method
>> categorization). OB in itself is as fast as the default browser and some
>> has great features.
>
> Interesting. My encounters with OB mostly originate from Pharo where it's
> always been dog-slow so I was never interested in looked deeper. Any ideas
> how to install OB without that stuff?

Try this:
Installer ss
  project: 'rb';
  install: 'AST';
  install: 'Refactoring-Core';
  install: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
  project: 'Regex';
  install: 'VB-Regex'.
Installer wiresong
  project: 'ob';
  install: 'OmniBrowser';
  install: 'OB-Morphic';
  install: 'OB-Standard';
  install: 'OB-Shout';
  install: 'OB-Refactory';
  install: 'OB-Regex';
  install: 'OB-SUnitIntegration'.

Levente

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
>> What I'm really missing is "Recent classes..." from the menu and the
>> movable splitters between the upper panels (aka resizeable panels). It's
>> really a PITA to resize the full browser to see the name of the current
>> category/class/protocol/method.
>>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> - Andreas

Re: Slime

Andreas.Raab
On 4/3/2010 11:27 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Interesting. My encounters with OB mostly originate from Pharo where
>> it's always been dog-slow so I was never interested in looked deeper.
>> Any ideas how to install OB without that stuff?
>
> Try this:

Thanks. It's definitely better than I remembered. I'm still noticing a
real delay in some areas though, for example when I click on a system
category. One thing you can try to test this is to open a regular
browser and OB and then just keep scrolling through the system
categories with cursor up or cursor down. In the regular browser this
entirely smooth; in OB it's "stuttering" and at least I notice the same
delay when clicking on the list.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> Installer ss
> project: 'rb';
> install: 'AST';
> install: 'Refactoring-Core';
> install: 'Refactoring-Spelling';
> project: 'Regex';
> install: 'VB-Regex'.
> Installer wiresong
> project: 'ob';
> install: 'OmniBrowser';
> install: 'OB-Morphic';
> install: 'OB-Standard';
> install: 'OB-Shout';
> install: 'OB-Refactory';
> install: 'OB-Regex';
> install: 'OB-SUnitIntegration'.
>

> Levente
>

>> Cheers,
>> - Andreas
>>
>>> What I'm really missing is "Recent classes..." from the menu and the
>>> movable splitters between the upper panels (aka resizeable panels). It's
>>> really a PITA to resize the full browser to see the name of the current
>>> category/class/protocol/method.
>>>

>>> Levente

Re: Slime

Colin Putney

On 2010-04-03, at 11:50 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/3/2010 11:27 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> Interesting. My encounters with OB mostly originate from Pharo where
>>> it's always been dog-slow so I was never interested in looked deeper.
>>> Any ideas how to install OB without that stuff?
>>
>> Try this:
>
> Thanks. It's definitely better than I remembered. I'm still noticing a real delay in some areas though, for example when I click on a system category. One thing you can try to test this is to open a regular browser and OB and then just keep scrolling through the system categories with cursor up or cursor down. In the regular browser this entirely smooth; in OB it's "stuttering" and at least I notice the same delay when clicking on the list.

Yeah, this one area where OB is certainly not as fast. That's because OB sorts classes according to inheritance, rather than name. It's just more work. I find the tradeoff worthwhile - it's not that slow, and the extra information imparted by the sort order is useful - but reasonable people may disagree. It wouldn't be hard to make this a preference.

Colin

Re: Slime

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, Colin Putney wrote:

> On 2010-04-03, at 11:50 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> Try this:
>>
>> Thanks. It's definitely better than I remembered. I'm still noticing a real delay in some areas though, for example when I click on a system category. One thing you can try to test this is to open a regular browser and OB and then just keep scrolling through the system categories with cursor up or cursor down. In the regular browser this entirely smooth; in OB it's "stuttering" and at least I notice the same delay when clicking on the list.
>
> Yeah, this one area where OB is certainly not as fast. That's because OB sorts classes according to inheritance, rather than name. It's just more work. I find the tradeoff worthwhile - it's not that slow, and the extra information imparted by the sort order is useful - but reasonable people may disagree. It wouldn't be hard to make this a preference.

You can turn on the 'List classes hierarchically' to have the same listing
with the default Browser. But even if that's enabled, OB is a lot slower
in this, so the difference is caused by something else.

Levente

> Colin

12