Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

johnmci
I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip

This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...

People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains, issues and especially crashes.

PS

(a) yes shortly we'll get the iPhone changes folded back into the source tree so you can build the VM.
(b) yes when resizing a window you get neat graphic effects (fixing that issue is non-trival).
(c) As time permits we'll look into rebuild this rather long list of plugins.

ClipboardExtendedPlugin.bundle
CroquetPlugin.bundle
CurlPlugin.bundle
FloatMathPlugin.bundle
FT2Plugin.bundle
IA32ABI.bundle
KedamaPlugin.bundle
KedamaPlugin2.bundle
LocalePlugin.bundle
mpeg3Plugin.bundle
ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle
OggPlugin.bundle
PrintJobPlugin.bundle
QuicktimePlugin.bundle
RomePlugin.bundle
SerialExtendedUnixPlugin.bundle
ServicesPlugin.bundle
SpellingPlugin.bundle
SqueakFFIPrims.bundle
TestOSAPlugin.bundle
UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Chris Cunnington
This is great. Thank you for doing this.

I have a question about movies. I see that existing vms have MP3 and Quicktime plugins. 4.1, I'd say, has no way to take advantage of that. MovieMorph is a dud IMHO. I had a little luck playing a movie on an old 2.8 image used in the production version of Scratch. But it looks like the VM has capabilities unexploited by our common image. Is this movie capability for some other project such as iOS/iPod, etc? Or is there something on SqS that I could load to allow me to play a movie in 4.1? What's up with this capability in the VM, but not commonly exploited at the image level?

Thanks for this new vm,

Chris

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

espin
I gave it a quick try:
1. updated to latest Trunk from image Squeak4.2-10382-alpha.zip from
http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/
2. run all unit test

Both 1. and 2. run quite faster than with previous VM versions and no crashes.
I played with moving a browser around via Etoys scripting and got no surprises.

Thanks a lot
Bye
Enrico

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 00:12, John M McIntosh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip
>
> This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
> It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
> build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...
>
> People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains, issues and especially crashes.
>
> PS
>
> (a) yes shortly we'll get the iPhone changes folded back into the source tree so you can build the VM.
> (b) yes when resizing a window you get neat graphic effects (fixing that issue is non-trival).
> (c) As time permits we'll look into rebuild this rather long list of plugins.
>
> ClipboardExtendedPlugin.bundle
> CroquetPlugin.bundle
> CurlPlugin.bundle
> FloatMathPlugin.bundle
> FT2Plugin.bundle
> IA32ABI.bundle
> KedamaPlugin.bundle
> KedamaPlugin2.bundle
> LocalePlugin.bundle
> mpeg3Plugin.bundle
> ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle
> OggPlugin.bundle
> PrintJobPlugin.bundle
> QuicktimePlugin.bundle
> RomePlugin.bundle
> SerialExtendedUnixPlugin.bundle
> ServicesPlugin.bundle
> SpellingPlugin.bundle
> SqueakFFIPrims.bundle
> TestOSAPlugin.bundle
> UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Enrico Spinielli
"Do Androids dream of electric sheep?"— Philip K. Dick
"Hear and forget; see and remember;do and understand."—Mitchel Resnick

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

johnmci
See Sophie for the quicktime api & player logic.

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Edgar De Cleene

On 8/25/10 7:12 PM, "John M McIntosh" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM
> in my experimental folder.
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip

First try with Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

 Squeak 4.2.4beta1U Compiler recompileAll Time to compile and execute:
61699ms
 Squeak 5.8b3 Time to compile and execute: 27090ms

Very nice !!

All I could say is a Spanish slang

A la pelotita !!

Edgar

P.S. Could use the Spanish slang to impress colleagues :)

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Edgar De Cleene
To previus mail add more data

SqueakLight3-alpha.9685
Squeak 4.2.4beta1U Compiler recompileAll Time to compile and execute:
46391ms
Squeak 5.8b3 Compiler recompileAll Time to compile and execute: 20883ms

Cuis2.6
Squeak 4.2.4beta1U MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] 21505
Squeak 5.8b3 MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] 10804

PharoCore-1.0-10515rc2.1
MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] image blows

Pharo-1.0
MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] image blows

Don't seems Pharo is best....

Like to see figures with older majorBenchmark but needs VMMaker and images
with have it was very dirty or not closures.

Seems images not closures ready don't run with Squeak 5.8b3

Edgar

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Yanni Chiu
Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> PharoCore-1.0-10515rc2.1
> MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] image blows
>
> Pharo-1.0
> MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] image blows
>
> Don't seems Pharo is best....
>
> Like to see figures with older majorBenchmark but needs VMMaker and images
> with have it was very dirty or not closures.
>
> Seems images not closures ready don't run with Squeak 5.8b3

No, it's not a closure issue. You need to apply the image patches for
Cog, to a Pharo-1.1 based image. See:

http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2010-August/031408.html

These patches have already be applied to the Squeak 4.2 beta and Cuis2.6
images that you used for your tests.

On 8/26/10 8:22 PM, "Yanni Chiu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> gar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>> PharoCore-1.0-10515rc2.1
>> MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] image blows
>>
>> Pharo-1.0
>> MessageTally time:  [ Compiler recompileAll ] image blows
>>
>> Don't seems Pharo is best....
>>
>> Like to see figures with older majorBenchmark but needs VMMaker and images
>> with have it was very dirty or not closures.
>>
>> Seems images not closures ready don't run with Squeak 5.8b3
>
> No, it's not a closure issue. You need to apply the image patches for
> Cog, to a Pharo-1.1 based image. See:
>
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2010-August/031408.html
>
> These patches have already be applied to the Squeak 4.2 beta and Cuis2.6
> images that you used for your tests.

Very thanks, I look at it.