Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

johnmci
I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip

This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...

People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains, issues and especially crashes.

PS

(a) yes shortly we'll get the iPhone changes folded back into the source tree so you can build the VM.
(b) yes when resizing a window you get neat graphic effects (fixing that issue is non-trival).
(c) As time permits we'll look into rebuild this rather long list of plugins.

ClipboardExtendedPlugin.bundle
CroquetPlugin.bundle
CurlPlugin.bundle
FloatMathPlugin.bundle
FT2Plugin.bundle
IA32ABI.bundle
KedamaPlugin.bundle
KedamaPlugin2.bundle
LocalePlugin.bundle
mpeg3Plugin.bundle
ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle
OggPlugin.bundle
PrintJobPlugin.bundle
QuicktimePlugin.bundle
RomePlugin.bundle
SerialExtendedUnixPlugin.bundle
ServicesPlugin.bundle
SpellingPlugin.bundle
SqueakFFIPrims.bundle
TestOSAPlugin.bundle
UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Philippe Marschall-2
On 08/26/2010 12:12 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
> I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip
>
> This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
> It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
> build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...
>
> People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains, issues and especially crashes.

I did a short test with Seaside. It did not crash and all tests are
green. Rendering is about two to three times faster which seems to be in
line with the performance gains other people report for other applications.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks John. It seems this is even a little faster (at least with tinyBenchmarks) than the image produced by Eliot

john

10 tinyBenchmarks '721126760 bytecodes/sec; 55015015 sends/sec'
10 tinyBenchmarks '717589348 bytecodes/sec; 55483560 sends/sec'
10 tinyBenchmarks '706206896 bytecodes/sec; 55562428 sends/sec'

eliot

10 tinyBenchmarks '626682986 bytecodes/sec; 54326849 sends/sec'
10 tinyBenchmarks '625152625 bytecodes/sec; 54251448 sends/sec'
10 tinyBenchmarks '630153846 bytecodes/sec; 54326849 sends/sec'

A difference I found with Eliot VM and your previous ones is shortcuts.

In eliot image, to select words, I do shift + ctrl + narrow, or shift + command + narrow.

In yours, I only can do shift + command + narrow.

And if I do shift + ctrl + narrow the mouse cursos doesn't even move.

cheers

mariano

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolas Cellier
2010/8/26 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks John. It seems this is even a little faster (at least with
> tinyBenchmarks) than the image produced by Eliot
>
> john
>
> 10 tinyBenchmarks '721126760 bytecodes/sec; 55015015 sends/sec'
> 10 tinyBenchmarks '717589348 bytecodes/sec; 55483560 sends/sec'
> 10 tinyBenchmarks '706206896 bytecodes/sec; 55562428 sends/sec'
>

> eliot
>
> 10 tinyBenchmarks '626682986 bytecodes/sec; 54326849 sends/sec'
> 10 tinyBenchmarks '625152625 bytecodes/sec; 54251448 sends/sec'
> 10 tinyBenchmarks '630153846 bytecodes/sec; 54326849 sends/sec'
>

> A difference I found with Eliot VM and your previous ones is shortcuts.
>
> In eliot image, to select words, I do shift + ctrl + narrow, or shift +
> command + narrow.
>
> In yours, I only can do shift + command + narrow.
>
> And if I do shift + ctrl + narrow the mouse cursos doesn't even move.

Maybe your arrow key is to narrow ?

Nicolas

2010/8/26 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/8/26 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks John. It seems this is even a little faster (at least with
>> tinyBenchmarks) than the image produced by Eliot
>>
>> john
>>
>> 10 tinyBenchmarks '721126760 bytecodes/sec; 55015015 sends/sec'
>> 10 tinyBenchmarks '717589348 bytecodes/sec; 55483560 sends/sec'
>> 10 tinyBenchmarks '706206896 bytecodes/sec; 55562428 sends/sec'
>>

>> eliot
>>
>> 10 tinyBenchmarks '626682986 bytecodes/sec; 54326849 sends/sec'
>> 10 tinyBenchmarks '625152625 bytecodes/sec; 54251448 sends/sec'
>> 10 tinyBenchmarks '630153846 bytecodes/sec; 54326849 sends/sec'
>>

>> A difference I found with Eliot VM and your previous ones is shortcuts.
>>
>> In eliot image, to select words, I do shift + ctrl + narrow, or shift +
>> command + narrow.
>>
>> In yours, I only can do shift + command + narrow.
>>
>> And if I do shift + ctrl + narrow the mouse cursos doesn't even move.
>>

> Maybe your arrow key is to narrow ?

or even too narrow :(

> Nicolas
>
>> cheers
>>
>> mariano
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM, John M McIntosh
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based
>>> VM in my experimental folder.
>>>

>>> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip
>>>
>>> This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the
>>> iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
>>> It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the
>>> changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
>>> build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...
>>>
>>> People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains,
>>> issues and especially crashes.
>>>
>>> PS
>>>
>>> (a) yes shortly we'll get the iPhone changes folded back into the source
>>> tree so you can build the VM.
>>> (b) yes when resizing a window you get neat graphic effects (fixing that
>>> issue is non-trival).
>>> (c) As time permits we'll look into rebuild this rather long list of
>>> plugins.
>>>
>>> ClipboardExtendedPlugin.bundle
>>> CroquetPlugin.bundle
>>> CurlPlugin.bundle
>>> FloatMathPlugin.bundle
>>> FT2Plugin.bundle
>>> IA32ABI.bundle
>>> KedamaPlugin.bundle
>>> KedamaPlugin2.bundle
>>> LocalePlugin.bundle
>>> mpeg3Plugin.bundle
>>> ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle
>>> OggPlugin.bundle
>>> PrintJobPlugin.bundle
>>> QuicktimePlugin.bundle
>>> RomePlugin.bundle
>>> SerialExtendedUnixPlugin.bundle
>>> ServicesPlugin.bundle
>>> SpellingPlugin.bundle
>>> SqueakFFIPrims.bundle
>>> TestOSAPlugin.bundle
>>> UnixOSProcessPlugin.bundle
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ===========================================================================
>>> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
>>>  squeaker68882
>>> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com
>>>
>>> ===========================================================================

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 26 Aug 2010, at 08:53, Philippe Marschall wrote:

> On 08/26/2010 12:12 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>> I've stuck a version (5.8b3) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b3.app.zip
>>
>> This VM is built from the Cog sources (with some minor changes for the iPhone) & revised & fixed Socket Plugin.
>> It currently does NOT contain any external plugins.  I did check in the changes to squeakvm.org that are required to
>> build this VM excluding the required Cog changes...
>>
>> People are invited to take it for a whirl, report any performance gains, issues and especially crashes.
>
> I did a short test with Seaside. It did not crash and all tests are
> green. Rendering is about two to three times faster which seems to be in
> line with the performance gains other people report for other applications.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

I did some tests as well, very impressive indeed.

I tested pharo-core 1.2 as well as a seaside image based on pharo 1.1 with Glorp and PostgreSQL: everything worked as expected.

I did a quick benchmark on that last image: where I used to get 70 requests/second I now get 230 requests/second. This is really amazing. Thanks Eliot, John and everybody else who made this possible.

I hope the linux VM is equally fast.

Sven

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Stéphane Ducasse
now :) I still would like the non jitted VM to be used to kick us to optimize.
Especially since on specific devices the JIT may not exist or be forbidden.

On 2010-08-26, at 11:52 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

A difference I found with Eliot VM and your previous ones is shortcuts.

In eliot image, to select words, I do shift + ctrl + narrow, or shift + command + narrow.

In yours, I only can do shift + command + narrow.

And if I do shift + ctrl + narrow the mouse cursos doesn't even move.

cheer

What is the 'narrow' key?

On 2010-08-26, at 11:52 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

A difference I found with Eliot VM and your previous ones is shortcuts.

In eliot image, to select words, I do shift + ctrl + narrow, or shift + command + narrow.

In yours, I only can do shift + command + narrow.

And if I do shift + ctrl + narrow the mouse cursos doesn't even move.

cheer

What is the 'narrow' key?

sorry I eant arrow, left, right

http://bit.ly/coumEn

thanks

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

johnmci
That's a bug, well actually apple changed something between 10.5 and 10.6  I've a fix pending.

On 26 Aug 2010, at 21:44, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I hope the linux VM is equally fast.

Is the COG VM capable of running headless on Linux ?

sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak -version
3.9-7 #2 Wed Aug 18 19:45:40 GMT 2010 gcc 4.1.2
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.26]
Linux cern 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 10:18:13 CEST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
plugin path: /home/sven/Smalltalk/coglinux/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default: /home/sven/Smalltalk/coglinux/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]

sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null seaside3.lr.cog.image

This doesn't seem to work, no errors to be seen anywhere. Can I enable some debugging output ?
This same image runs perfectly well with a display, as in

sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak seaside3.lr.cog.image

Thx,

Sven

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Eliot Miranda-2

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 26 Aug 2010, at 21:44, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> I hope the linux VM is equally fast.

Is the COG VM capable of running headless on Linux ?

We routinely run it headless on linux using -vm-display-null.

sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak -version
3.9-7 #2 Wed Aug 18 19:45:40 GMT 2010 gcc 4.1.2
Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.26]
Linux cern 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 10:18:13 CEST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
plugin path: /home/sven/Smalltalk/coglinux/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default: /home/sven/Smalltalk/coglinux/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]

sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null seaside3.lr.cog.image

This doesn't seem to work, no errors to be seen anywhere. Can I enable some debugging output ?

Try -sendtrace, e.g.
    ./coglinux/bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null -sendtrace seaside3.lr.cog.image

This same image runs perfectly well with a display, as in

sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak seaside3.lr.cog.image

What does your image do?  Does it depend on any additional plugins or shared objects?  Are these also present in your Cog installation?

HTH
Eliot

Thx,

Sven

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Sven Van Caekenberghe
It works now: I tried closing all open windows in the image and now it runs headless. I thought that wasn't necessary with other VMs but maybe I always did so without thinking about it.

Thanks for answering, Eliot.

Sven

On 27 Aug 2010, at 20:46, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 26 Aug 2010, at 21:44, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>
> > I hope the linux VM is equally fast.
>
> Is the COG VM capable of running headless on Linux ?
>
> We routinely run it headless on linux using -vm-display-null.
>
> sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak -version
> 3.9-7 #2 Wed Aug 18 19:45:40 GMT 2010 gcc 4.1.2
> Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.26]
> Linux cern 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 10:18:13 CEST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> plugin path: /home/sven/Smalltalk/coglinux/lib/squeak/3.9-7/ [default: /home/sven/Smalltalk/coglinux/lib/squeak/3.9-7/]
>
> sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null seaside3.lr.cog.image
>
> This doesn't seem to work, no errors to be seen anywhere. Can I enable some debugging output ?
>
> Try -sendtrace, e.g.
>     ./coglinux/bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null -sendtrace seaside3.lr.cog.image
>
> This same image runs perfectly well with a display, as in
>
> sven@bladerunner:~/Smalltalk$ ./coglinux/bin/squeak seaside3.lr.cog.image
>
> What does your image do?  Does it depend on any additional plugins or shared objects?  Are these also present in your Cog installation?
>
> HTH
> Eliot
>
> Thx,
>
> Sven

Re: [squeak-dev] Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Tudor Girba
I tested the VM, and it works just fine.

However, I also noticed that I cannot move between words by pressing
ctrl+left/right. This is a pretty nice thing to have. I am not sure I
understand what this has to do with the VM, but it is obviously the
only thing that changed.  Is there anything I could do to help fixing
this?

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Aug 2010, at 09:42, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2010/8/27 John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>
>
> On 2010-08-26, at 11:52 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> A difference I found with Eliot VM and your previous ones is
>> shortcuts.
>>
>> In eliot image, to select words, I do shift + ctrl + narrow, or
>> shift + command + narrow.
>>
>> In yours, I only can do shift + command + narrow.
>>
>> And if I do shift + ctrl + narrow the mouse cursos doesn't even move.
>>
>> cheer
>
> What is the 'narrow' key?
>
> sorry I eant arrow, left, right
>
> http://bit.ly/coumEn
>
> thanks
>

> --
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:
> squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =
> =
> =
> =
> =

www.tudorgirba.com

"Yesterday is a fact.
  Tomorrow is a possibility.
  Today is a challenge."

Re: Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b3.

Damien Cassou
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It works now: I tried closing all open windows in the image and now it runs headless. I thought that wasn't necessary with other VMs but maybe I always did so without thinking about it.

I confirm I had to close an open window in the image before being able
to run with -vm-display-null. I tried with -sendtrace and got no
result. If the window is not closed, nothing seems to happen. To
reproduce on linux:

1) download http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Pier%202/248/artifact/Pier-2.0-OneClick.zip
2) unzip the file
3) cd into the directory
4) execute:

./Contents/Linux/squeakvm -plugins ./Contents/Linux -encoding latin1
-vm-display-null -vm-sound-null -sendtrace
./Contents/Resources/Pier.image

the prompt is not returned to the user (which is ok), but
'http://localhost:8080/pier' does not answer.

5) press Ctrl-c to kill the vm
6) execute the same line and change -vm-display-null to -vm-display-X11
7) Pharo opens, close the Seaside adapters window
8) save your image
9) execute same line as in 4)

now http://localhost:8080/pier displays the correct page.

--