Experimental SB environment filter plugins

Experimental SB environment filter plugins

Steve Alan Waring
Experimental SB environment filter plugins

Hi,

I decided to try and plug my own presenters, as extra tabs, into the
System Browser's "Packages" slidey. The goal was to restrict the
environment which is displayed in the browser in various ways.

It turned out to be very easy to do ... only needing a couple of
new/changed methods. All the hard work is done by Object Art's tools,
the Refactoring Browser Environments, and STS.

I am posting this partly in the hope that Object Arts will consider
adding a public API for adding environment plugins in a future version
of the System Browser. I have only had this running for the past week,
but I am finding it very useful.

If you want to try it, download and install the package from:

http://www.stevewaring.net/pac/FilteredSystemBrowser.zip

This is experimental so standard warnings apply. However the package
contains no loose methods and does not modify any system classes or
resources etc. It should install and uninstall cleanly. I don't know
for sure, but I don't think it will work in DCE.

It includes 3 plugins.

The first restricts the environment to methods that contain a specified
symbol. See:

http://www.stevewaring.net/images/fsb-1.png

The second is just a PAI onto a presenter with a block aspect. See:

http://www.stevewaring.net/images/fsb-2.png

The third hooks into STS and limits the environment to methods that
have changed in the past x days. See:

http://www.stevewaring.net/images/fsb-3.png

Enjoy,
Steve

Re: Experimental SB environment filter plugins

Blair McGlashan-4
"Steve Alan Waring" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Experimental SB environment filter plugins
>

> Hi,
>
> I decided to try and plug my own presenters, as extra tabs, into the
> System Browser's "Packages" slidey. The goal was to restrict the
> environment which is displayed in the browser in various ways.
>
> It turned out to be very easy to do ... only needing a couple of
> new/changed methods. All the hard work is done by Object Art's tools,
> the Refactoring Browser Environments, and STS.
>
> I am posting this partly in the hope that Object Arts will consider
> adding a public API for adding environment plugins in a future version
> of the System Browser. I have only had this running for the past week,
> but I am finding it very useful.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks

Blair