Explorer colors question

Chris Muller-4
Smalltalk explore  "do it"

Explorer appears, the selection is on the top line.

Now press up arrow.  The selection turns yellow / blue.

What does it mean?

Re: Explorer colors question

Karl Ramberg
It's monitoring changes to the selection.
See bottom context menu item

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Smalltalk explore  "do it"

Explorer appears, the selection is on the top line.

Now press up arrow.  The selection turns yellow / blue.

What does it mean?

Re: Explorer colors question

Chris Muller-3
I didn't select that menu item, but in any case, what "change" would
happen to the Smalltalk global just by navigating it; even just the
up-arrow does not modify Smalltalk at all, so why does it think it
changed?

It happens all the time in normal navigation usage and its kind of
distracting.  If it worked it might be nice but...  is it working?

When I do select "monitor changes" then if I try to expand the tree
('globals' inst var), it keeps collapsing it...

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's monitoring changes to the selection.
> See bottom context menu item
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Smalltalk explore  "do it"
>>
>> Explorer appears, the selection is on the top line.
>>
>> Now press up arrow.  The selection turns yellow / blue.
>>
>> What does it mean?

Re: Explorer colors question

Chris Muller-3
'hello'->'world'   "explore it"

Press up arrow.  Changes to yellow.

Press down arrow three times, 'world' change to yellow/blue.

Now close that one and explore it again.

This time, execute in the explorer:

     self value: 'there'

No change of colors or anything in the explorer, unless you click the
bottom one, and then press down-arrow.

But that's just the same behavior in all cases, whether it changed or not...

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 2:25 PM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's monitoring changes to the selection.
> See bottom context menu item
>
> Best,
> Karl
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Smalltalk explore  "do it"
>>
>> Explorer appears, the selection is on the top line.
>>
>> Now press up arrow.  The selection turns yellow / blue.
>>
>> What does it mean?

Re: Explorer colors question

marcel.taeumel
Hi Chris,

if you re-select the current selection, you update it. Key-up at the top happens to do exactly that. Since a single update renders the whole tree display inconsistent, we want to indicate those updated nodes with the color blue.

http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Tools-mt-668-mcz-td4875137.html#a4875215
Note that we did get rid of that pop-up mentioned:
http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Tools-mt-670-mcz-td4875650.html

Best,
Marcel