Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Matthias Junker-2
Hi,
i would like to announce the first release of Kumpel for Moose. Kumpel
is a tool for exploring the history of a software system. The history
data can be extracted from any Subversion repository.
It uses Java KumpelProjectLoader to connect to a repository using the
subversion client library svnkit. The model is based on Hismo and
therefore histories and versions are modeled as first class entities.
Kumpel was originally called YellowSubmarine and was developed for
Visualworks and now ported to Pharo. The performance of loading a
model was much improved compared to the Visualworks version.

You can find more information here:

http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/kumpel

I'm glad about any kind of feedback. If there are any questions, don't
hesitate to send them to me or the Moose mailing list.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Tudor Girba
Great news, Matt!

I will give it a try right away.

Thanks a lot for all this effort,
Doru

On 10 Apr 2011, at 22:18, Matthias Junker wrote:

> Hi,
> i would like to announce the first release of Kumpel for Moose. Kumpel
> is a tool for exploring the history of a software system. The history
> data can be extracted from any Subversion repository.
> It uses Java KumpelProjectLoader to connect to a repository using the
> subversion client library svnkit. The model is based on Hismo and
> therefore histories and versions are modeled as first class entities.
> Kumpel was originally called YellowSubmarine and was developed for
> Visualworks and now ported to Pharo. The performance of loading a
> model was much improved compared to the Visualworks version.
>
> You can find more information here:
>
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/kumpel
>
> I'm glad about any kind of feedback. If there are any questions, don't
> hesitate to send them to me or the Moose mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Tudor Girba
Hi,

I gave it a try on VerveineJ:
- repo: svn://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/verveinej/verveine.extractor.java
- start revision: 1
- end revision: 122
- no login
- with diffs

It worked in some minutes (there is no progress bar for the moment).

After it loaded, I clicked on the new KMPProjectHistory and then I selected the Change browser. You can see it in the attached browser. Pretty cool :)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

change-browser-verveinej.png (56K) Download Attachment

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

simondenier

Very interesting! Can you give a bit more information about svnkit? What do you need as input to Kumpel? Would it be easy to plug in another SCM?

On 10 avr. 2011, at 22:18, Matthias Junker wrote:

> Hi,
> i would like to announce the first release of Kumpel for Moose. Kumpel
> is a tool for exploring the history of a software system. The history
> data can be extracted from any Subversion repository.
> It uses Java KumpelProjectLoader to connect to a repository using the
> subversion client library svnkit. The model is based on Hismo and
> therefore histories and versions are modeled as first class entities.
> Kumpel was originally called YellowSubmarine and was developed for
> Visualworks and now ported to Pharo. The performance of loading a
> model was much improved compared to the Visualworks version.
>
> You can find more information here:
>
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/kumpel
>
> I'm glad about any kind of feedback. If there are any questions, don't
> hesitate to send them to me or the Moose mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

Simon Denier

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Matthias Junker-2
Hey,

i wrote a tool in java. It's called KumpelProjectLoader and uses
svnkit to access the subversion repository. Svnkit is a pure java
subversion client library. You can find more information about it
here:

http://svnkit.com/

KumpelProjectLoader creates the input for Kumpel from the subversion
repository using the info, log and diff command from the subversion
client. This happens in the background when you load a model in the
moose panel. It calls the KumpelProjectLoader (the jar file) which
writes all the requrired data on the file system. Kumpel then parses
these files to build the model. The source code is available here:

https://iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/Students/junker/KumpelProjectLoader

Although it seems that the server is down at the moment.

i guess it definitely could be done to plug in another scm, but i
don't really know other scm that well, so i can't say how difficult it
would be.  i guess most scm can provide the file changes as unified
diffs, so that part could be reused without modification. at the
moment there are no plans to provide other scm, but if there is an
interest in this i could take a look.

Cheers,
Matt

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very interesting! Can you give a bit more information about svnkit? What do you need as input to Kumpel? Would it be easy to plug in another SCM?
>
> On 10 avr. 2011, at 22:18, Matthias Junker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> i would like to announce the first release of Kumpel for Moose. Kumpel
>> is a tool for exploring the history of a software system. The history
>> data can be extracted from any Subversion repository.
>> It uses Java KumpelProjectLoader to connect to a repository using the
>> subversion client library svnkit. The model is based on Hismo and
>> therefore histories and versions are modeled as first class entities.
>> Kumpel was originally called YellowSubmarine and was developed for
>> Visualworks and now ported to Pharo. The performance of loading a
>> model was much improved compared to the Visualworks version.
>>
>> You can find more information here:
>>
>> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/kumpel
>>
>> I'm glad about any kind of feedback. If there are any questions, don't
>> hesitate to send them to me or the Moose mailing list.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matt

> Simon Denier

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Great!!!
Thanks for your time and effort.
Stef

On Apr 10, 2011, at 10:18 PM, Matthias Junker wrote:

> Hi,
> i would like to announce the first release of Kumpel for Moose. Kumpel
> is a tool for exploring the history of a software system. The history
> data can be extracted from any Subversion repository.
> It uses Java KumpelProjectLoader to connect to a repository using the
> subversion client library svnkit. The model is based on Hismo and
> therefore histories and versions are modeled as first class entities.
> Kumpel was originally called YellowSubmarine and was developed for
> Visualworks and now ported to Pharo. The performance of loading a
> model was much improved compared to the Visualworks version.
>
> You can find more information here:
>
> http://www.moosetechnology.org/tools/kumpel
>
> I'm glad about any kind of feedback. If there are any questions, don't
> hesitate to send them to me or the Moose mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Nicolas Anquetil

I wantesd to try it, but ran into some problems.

I tried:
- OS: linux-ubuntu
- project name: testVerveine
- repo: svn://scm.gforge.inria.fr/svn/verveinej/verveine.extractor.java
- start revision: 70
- end revision: 90
- no login
- no diffs

The Moose image is a recent one (4.4 from 2011/04/13)

I followed the instruction in the noose web site.

First it gave me a DNU because it could not read Resources/testVerveine/main/.info (see kumpel.png)

Actually the testVerveine repository had not been created, so it is not a surprise.
I created it and got another error.
See Kumpel2.png
The problem seem to be with config which is inspected in the front

nicolas

kumpel2.png (119K) Download Attachment
kumpel.png (86K) Download Attachment

Re: Exploring subversion histories with Kumpel

Nicolas Anquetil

OK,

found it.

it was due to my path having a directory with a space in its name.

nicolas