Export an application to another library

Export an application to another library

Juli Permana
Is it possible to export an application from a library to another library?

Export an application to another library

jtuchel
It's easy: version the classes, release them into the application edition an d version the application. Then you can export it to either a new library that contains only yor application or to an existing library.

I usually work in the Application Manager, and there you find a contxt menu named Import/Export. Vast will ask you for a server address (if you want to export to an existing library that is managed by emsrv) and a directory.

For most people, the most irritating thing is what I mentioned first: you must use fixed versions for import/export. You cannot export open editions. For those, you can only use filein/fileout.

Hth

Joachim

Re: Export an application to another library

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:12:30 PM UTC-8, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
For most people, the most irritating thing is what I mentioned first: you must use fixed versions for import/export. You cannot export open editions. For those, you can only use filein/fileout.

I have not tried to do what I am about to describe, but I think it will work. After all, there was once a very expensive product called ENVY Replicator.

If you look at EtApplicationManager>>#exportApplicationVersions and the methods it calls to "move" applications to another repository, you should be able to create a parallel path with ignores the version constraint. I suspect the difficulty may lie in sending updates to the destination library, as there may be an optimization of ignoring any application edition that is already present in the destination. The fact that only versions are moved by the tool would support such an optimization. Even so, I suspect you could bypass it.

Try it and see. :-) Let us know if you are successful with it.