Exporting Packages to Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks)

Exporting Packages to Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks)

Esteban A. Maringolo
Is there any exporter than can convert an RPackage into a VW Parcel
(.pst), in XML or Chunk format?

I need to migrate a few libraries of my own and couldn't find
anything, so I'm asking before start writing something :)

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Exporting Packages to Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks)

Peter Uhnak
Some time ago I hacked together a very simple thing that generates VW XML from code represented in Moose/UML... I guess you could use it as a starting point: https://github.com/OpenPonk/class-editor/tree/master/repository/UML-CodeGenerator.package/UCMVWXmlExporter.class

Also take a look at SIF (which is quite easy to use on both Pharo and VW side):

* https://github.com/peteruhnak/sif
* https://github.com/peteruhnak/sif/blob/master/docs.md
* http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2016.01.06.sif.html
* http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/sif/

Peter

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:37:52AM -0300, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:

> Is there any exporter than can convert an RPackage into a VW Parcel
> (.pst), in XML or Chunk format?
>
> I need to migrate a few libraries of my own and couldn't find
> anything, so I'm asking before start writing something :)
>
> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Exporting Packages to Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks)

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thank you Peter.

Alexandre Bergel pointed me to Roassal export classes, which does
something similar to the code you pointed me to (yours seems more
tidy).

Thanks again,

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Some time ago I hacked together a very simple thing that generates VW XML from code represented in Moose/UML... I guess you could use it as a starting point: https://github.com/OpenPonk/class-editor/tree/master/repository/UML-CodeGenerator.package/UCMVWXmlExporter.class
>
> Also take a look at SIF (which is quite easy to use on both Pharo and VW side):
>
> * https://github.com/peteruhnak/sif
> * https://github.com/peteruhnak/sif/blob/master/docs.md
> * http://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2016.01.06.sif.html
> * http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/sif/
>
> Peter
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:37:52AM -0300, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>> Is there any exporter than can convert an RPackage into a VW Parcel
>> (.pst), in XML or Chunk format?
>>
>> I need to migrate a few libraries of my own and couldn't find
>> anything, so I'm asking before start writing something :)
>>
>> Regards!
>>
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Exporting Packages to Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks)

akevalion
Hi Esteban

For roassal we have created our own exporter that I think you can use it to export to VisualWorks

* Get last version of roassal
* In pharo use the next code:

dirpath := 'aDirectoryPath'.
exporter := RoassalExporter new
to: dirpath namespace: #yournamespaceInVW.
exporter blacklist: aCollectionOfMethodsThatYouDoNotWanttoExport.
exporter exportPackages: anArrayOfRPackageTags.

* Tips before exporting:
   - Change the source code of methods with this array definition {}, because this has another property in visualworks
   - For tests RoassalExporter uses Smalltalk.SUnit.TestCase, please load the parcel SUnitTools.
* In VisualWorks create a package and load the generated file

Let me know if this is usefull to you, or if you have any problem to use RoassalExporter

Cheers,
Milton

Re: Exporting Packages to Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks)

Peter Uhnak
Ah, I forgot about that one. (I've seen it before I wrote mine, but I didn't like some things iirc... like using string cocats instead of XMLWriter etc)

Peter