Extending GTSpotter

Edward Povazan
Hello,

I am having a blast with GTSpotter - it’s the missing link for me, just one step to ask a question from Pharo. Keeps the flow going!

Being new to the innards of Pharo, I’ve decided to try something.
I would love documentation in GTSpotter. For example, I am interested in how packages are organized in Pharo.
Cmd+Enter: ‘Package'
I get a list of package type classes.

Cmd+Sh+Right Arrow.
Now I see all the classes in the Classes category ...
PackageInfo, PackageOrganizer, GRPackage, RPackageOrganizer - all interesting candidates in my exploration.

But now I need to browse into each, look at the docs, then bring back GTSpotter, navigate to the last context with History, and repeat. More than one step.

So I am going to try:
- when showing all items in classes and methods categories, add a little [d] tag to the end of the item text to indicate if there is documentation for that item (class/instance or method docs)
- Cmd+Sh+Right will display the docs.

Is this doable within the current framework?
If so, I am going to chip away on this.

Thanks,
-Ed

Re: Extending GTSpotter

kilon.alios
anything is doable. The barrier always is knowledge.

There is already a project to bring documentation and a specific kind of documentation called Pillar which is what we use for updated PBE and Pharo for the Enterprise books inside the GTInspector. Its a WIP.

On the side of GTSpotter you have a morphic wrapper called Brick that is used to ease the design of the GUI.

But whether you use Glamour or Spec or Brick or whatever you use Morphic. Only Bloc which suppose to be the new kid in the block to replace Morphic is not Morphic but for now at least the heavy weight gorilla is Morphic. As soon as you understand morphic you are unstopable.

Dynamic documentation is one of the things that Pharo really lacks if you ask me, I am that annoying guy that complains about documentation all the time. I think however that we get closer to this .

From what I see you talk about class and instance comments. Of course with Pillar at your side you can go way above that and provide functionality that can rival pdf and html help files.

So yes its doable and yes you can take it very far but as always is about having the will to do the hard work because in the end nothing is easy as it looks or else someone else would have done it by now.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Edward Povazan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Damien Pollet-2
> Cmd+Enter: ‘Package'

Doru, your blog post does not mention this piece of information: how
to invoke GTSpotter
It does not seem to be mentioned in your announcement email either; I
found it here after going through threads talking about GTSpotter.

Nobody else asked for it, so I'm guessing it was well-known before and
I'm the only one who failed to get addicted to whatever the shortcut
was doing before? How do we make discoverable affordances for such
behaviors in the image?

Re: Extending GTSpotter

jfabry

A big +1 on Damien’s comment. Discoverability of useful things is too low. For example, I did not know about Shift-enter for searching until somebody showed it to me inadvertently when he was demoing something else :-/

That being said, I don’t have a good solution to the problem either :-( Maybe have the standard image have a second workspace open that lists useful tools and their shortcuts? Plus put new tools and their shortcuts prominent in the release notes for each new release? (cause us old timers don’t look at those workspaces anymore ;-) ).

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 13:25, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Cmd+Enter: ‘Package'
>
> Doru, your blog post does not mention this piece of information: how
> to invoke GTSpotter
> It does not seem to be mentioned in your announcement email either; I
> found it here after going through threads talking about GTSpotter.
>
> Nobody else asked for it, so I'm guessing it was well-known before and
> I'm the only one who failed to get addicted to whatever the shortcut
> was doing before? How do we make discoverable affordances for such
> behaviors in the image?

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I made a mistake and the post got reverted to a previous version that did not mention Cmd+Enter.  The shortcut is present again in the post.

But, the discoverability problem is still present and we need to fix it. It won't be a workspace, but likely a visual element or at least a menu entry. We are still working in this area.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

stepharo
I got the same problem and Cmd+ENter was already used on my machine set up.
So it was not really simple.

Le 11/12/14 17:25, Damien Pollet a écrit :

>> Cmd+Enter: ‘Package'
> Doru, your blog post does not mention this piece of information: how
> to invoke GTSpotter
> It does not seem to be mentioned in your announcement email either; I
> found it here after going through threads talking about GTSpotter.
>
> Nobody else asked for it, so I'm guessing it was well-known before and
> I'm the only one who failed to get addicted to whatever the shortcut
> was doing before? How do we make discoverable affordances for such
> behaviors in the image?

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Tudor Girba-2
I would like to get Shift+Enter (because Cmd+Enter will be useful in other contexts), but we wanted to have something that can live next to the Spotlight for a while.

But, now that we are over the first set of problems, I would like to use Shift+Enter. Any objections?

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I got the same problem and Cmd+ENter was already used on my machine set up.
So it was not really simple.

Le 11/12/14 17:25, Damien Pollet a écrit :

Cmd+Enter: ‘Package'
Doru, your blog post does not mention this piece of information: how
to invoke GTSpotter
It does not seem to be mentioned in your announcement email either; I
found it here after going through threads talking about GTSpotter.

Nobody else asked for it, so I'm guessing it was well-known before and
I'm the only one who failed to get addicted to whatever the shortcut
was doing before? How do we make discoverable affordances for such
behaviors in the image?

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

EstebanLM
shift+enter is better.
I will remove Spotlight soon… honestly spotter is so much better than even when not everything is working perfect, is already a huge improvement

Esteban

On 12 Dec 2014, at 12:11, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

kilon.alios
could not agree more, this is a great tool with a huge potential and really upgrades the Pharo experience.

I have not see anything similar in other IDEs I have been using in the past.

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

NorbertHartl
Thanks Esteban,

that is the perfect attitude to build a nice tool and later embrace if a better one arrives. So let's celebrate Spotlight for being good companion and wish it farewell.

Norbert

Am 12.12.2014 um 13:07 schrieb Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Doru’s blog has some neat things. One led me to the following:
Inspect:
KMRepository default.

With GTools installed, you can see all the shortcuts nicely formatted. I finally found a ‘scope selection’ (Cmd+Sh+P) which makes me a very happy user (it’s my primary selection method in IntelliJ/AppCode).

-Ed

On Dec 11, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A big +1 on Damien’s comment. Discoverability of useful things is too low. For example, I did not know about Shift-enter for searching until somebody showed it to me inadvertently when he was demoing something else :-/
>
> That being said, I don’t have a good solution to the problem either :-( Maybe have the standard image have a second workspace open that lists useful tools and their shortcuts? Plus put new tools and their shortcuts prominent in the release notes for each new release? (cause us old timers don’t look at those workspaces anymore ;-) ).
>
>> On Dec 11, 2014, at 13:25, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Cmd+Enter: ‘Package'
>>
>> Doru, your blog post does not mention this piece of information: how
>> to invoke GTSpotter
>> It does not seem to be mentioned in your announcement email either; I
>> found it here after going through threads talking about GTSpotter.
>>
>> Nobody else asked for it, so I'm guessing it was well-known before and
>> I'm the only one who failed to get addicted to whatever the shortcut
>> was doing before? How do we make discoverable affordances for such
>> behaviors in the image?
>>

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Offray
Hi,

Sorry I don't want to "kidnap" the thread, but just inspecting
"KMRepository default" and selecting an empty row brings and error. In
an other thread today I talked about this error still being present, so
is not just about my project, but a way to select empty places on GT
objects (trees, tables, etc) and when there is noting there, raising no
error and keeping the state of the visualization (in the table resulting
from inspecting KMRepository default closing the error brings you back
to the table, with my outliner, the tree gets empty).

Just trying to make the connection... surely I'm loosing something.

Cheers,

Offray

El 13/12/14 a las 04:23, Edward Povazan escribió:

> Doru’s blog has some neat things. One led me to the following:
> Inspect:
> KMRepository default.
>
> With GTools installed, you can see all the shortcuts nicely formatted. I finally found a ‘scope selection’ (Cmd+Sh+P) which makes me a very happy user (it’s my primary selection method in IntelliJ/AppCode).
>
> -Ed
>
> On Dec 11, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> A big +1 on Damien’s comment. Discoverability of useful things is too low. For example, I did not know about Shift-enter for searching until somebody showed it to me inadvertently when he was demoing something else :-/
>>
>> That being said, I don’t have a good solution to the problem either :-( Maybe have the standard image have a second workspace open that lists useful tools and their shortcuts? Plus put new tools and their shortcuts prominent in the release notes for each new release? (cause us old timers don’t look at those workspaces anymore ;-) ).

>>> Doru, your blog post does not mention this piece of information: how
>>> to invoke GTSpotter
>>> It does not seem to be mentioned in your announcement email either; I
>>> found it here after going through threads talking about GTSpotter.
>>>
>>> Nobody else asked for it, so I'm guessing it was well-known before and
>>> I'm the only one who failed to get addicted to whatever the shortcut
>>> was doing before? How do we make discoverable affordances for such
>>> behaviors in the image?
>>>

>> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>>
>> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
>> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Damien Pollet-2
Back to this thread!

I'm not completely fond of the way GTSpotter matches candidates using
just #includesSubstring:
Are there provisions already to rank candidates instead of binary
matching/rejecting them? I'd like to try one of the fuzzy matching
algorithms that other quick-selection tools have.

On 24 December 2014 at 02:36, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry I don't want to "kidnap" the thread, but just inspecting "KMRepository
> default" and selecting an empty row brings and error. In an other thread
> today I talked about this error still being present, so is not just about my
> project, but a way to select empty places on GT objects (trees, tables, etc)
> and when there is noting there, raising no error and keeping the state of
> the visualization (in the table resulting from inspecting KMRepository
> default closing the error brings you back to the table, with my outliner,
> the tree gets empty).
>
> Just trying to make the connection... surely I'm loosing something.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>
> El 13/12/14 a las 04:23, Edward Povazan escribió:
>
>> Doru’s blog has some neat things. One led me to the following:
>> Inspect:
>> KMRepository default.
>>
>> With GTools installed, you can see all the shortcuts nicely formatted. I
>> finally found a ‘scope selection’ (Cmd+Sh+P) which makes me a very happy
>> user (it’s my primary selection method in IntelliJ/AppCode).
>>
>> -Ed
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> A big +1 on Damien’s comment. Discoverability of useful things is too
>>> low. For example, I did not know about Shift-enter for searching until
>>> somebody showed it to me inadvertently when he was demoing something else
>>> :-/
>>>
>>> That being said, I don’t have a good solution to the problem either :-(
>>> Maybe have the standard image have a second workspace open that lists useful
>>> tools and their shortcuts? Plus put new tools and their shortcuts prominent
>>> in the release notes for each new release? (cause us old timers don’t look
>>> at those workspaces anymore ;-) ).

>>> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>>>
>>> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
>>> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Tudor Girba-2
The includesSubstring: is the simplest thing we could do to get some value out of the interface. More is definitely required in this direction.

To build a custom search logic, you should use "processor filter: [...]".

For an example, look at GTSpotter>>spotterImplementorsFor: aStep.

This is still too complicated and we need to simplify it.

Cheers,
Doru

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry I don't want to "kidnap" the thread, but just inspecting "KMRepository
> default" and selecting an empty row brings and error. In an other thread
> today I talked about this error still being present, so is not just about my
> project, but a way to select empty places on GT objects (trees, tables, etc)
> and when there is noting there, raising no error and keeping the state of
> the visualization (in the table resulting from inspecting KMRepository
> default closing the error brings you back to the table, with my outliner,
> the tree gets empty).
>
> Just trying to make the connection... surely I'm loosing something.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>
> El 13/12/14 a las 04:23, Edward Povazan escribió:
>
>> Doru’s blog has some neat things. One led me to the following:
>> Inspect:
>> KMRepository default.
>>
>> With GTools installed, you can see all the shortcuts nicely formatted. I
>> finally found a ‘scope selection’ (Cmd+Sh+P) which makes me a very happy
>> user (it’s my primary selection method in IntelliJ/AppCode).
>>
>> -Ed
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2014, at 8:59 AM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> A big +1 on Damien’s comment. Discoverability of useful things is too
>>> low. For example, I did not know about Shift-enter for searching until
>>> somebody showed it to me inadvertently when he was demoing something else
>>> :-/
>>>
>>> That being said, I don’t have a good solution to the problem either :-(
>>> Maybe have the standard image have a second workspace open that lists useful
>>> tools and their shortcuts? Plus put new tools and their shortcuts prominent
>>> in the release notes for each new release? (cause us old timers don’t look
>>> at those workspaces anymore ;-) ).

>>> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>>>
>>> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
>>> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Damien Pollet-2
I've seen #includesSubstring: in
GTSpotterCandidatesProcessor>>is:matching: as well… is it duplication
or a legitimately different use? (just trying to understand the
architecture)

On 9 January 2015 at 14:46, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The includesSubstring: is the simplest thing we could do to get some value
> out of the interface. More is definitely required in this direction.
>
> To build a custom search logic, you should use "processor filter: [...]".
>
> For an example, look at GTSpotter>>spotterImplementorsFor: aStep.
>
> This is still too complicated and we need to simplify it.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Damien Pollet
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Back to this thread!
>>
>> I'm not completely fond of the way GTSpotter matches candidates using
>> just #includesSubstring:
>> Are there provisions already to rank candidates instead of binary
>> matching/rejecting them? I'd like to try one of the fuzzy matching
>> algorithms that other quick-selection tools have.
>>
>> On 24 December 2014 at 02:36, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Sorry I don't want to "kidnap" the thread, but just inspecting
>> > "KMRepository
>> > default" and selecting an empty row brings and error. In an other thread
>> > today I talked about this error still being present, so is not just
>> > about my
>> > project, but a way to select empty places on GT objects (trees, tables,
>> > etc)
>> > and when there is noting there, raising no error and keeping the state
>> > of
>> > the visualization (in the table resulting from inspecting KMRepository
>> > default closing the error brings you back to the table, with my
>> > outliner,
>> > the tree gets empty).
>> >
>> > Just trying to make the connection... surely I'm loosing something.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Offray

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Tudor Girba-2
I am not sure I understand the question. A duplication of what?

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Damien Pollet-2
Both GTSpotter>>spotterImplementorsFor: and
GTSpotterCandidatesProcessor>>is:matching: do substring matching, so
I'm wondering if the matching logic is duplicated/distributed in
several places.

On 9 January 2015 at 15:55, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure I understand the question. A duplication of what?
>
> Doru
>
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Damien Pollet
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen #includesSubstring: in
>> GTSpotterCandidatesProcessor>>is:matching: as well… is it duplication
>> or a legitimately different use? (just trying to understand the
>> architecture)
>>
>> On 9 January 2015 at 14:46, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The includesSubstring: is the simplest thing we could do to get some
>> > value
>> > out of the interface. More is definitely required in this direction.
>> >
>> > To build a custom search logic, you should use "processor filter:
>> > [...]".
>> >
>> > For an example, look at GTSpotter>>spotterImplementorsFor: aStep.
>> >
>> > This is still too complicated and we need to simplify it.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Doru

>> > --
>> > www.tudorgirba.com
>> >
>> > "Every thing has its own flow"
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Extending GTSpotter

Tudor Girba-2
It is not duplicated.

The logic is different:
GTSpotterCandidatesProcessor>>is:matching: works as a filter on a given collection.
GTSpotter>>spotterImplementorsFor: is an iterator that tries to match as it runs.

Anyway, this part of Spotter will be reworked soon.

Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"