Extending a Pharo App with remote content

Extending a Pharo App with remote content

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Extending a Pharo App with remote content

Stéphane Ducasse
Hilaire

Hilaire have a look at the code updater because it looks on a server for a file and download other files
based on the first tile. you can send a zip file that contains code and fuel object.
In fact .sar file was just a zip file renamed with some code.

You can install sounds in Pharo as object or you can install them as a file using fuel.

Fule can be used to send code but this is more experimental.
Tanker is not ready.

stef

On Sep 27, 2013, at 8:27 PM, hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about an educative oriented application to learn math, and I
> would like the application to be extensible with remote contents (from the
> cloud).
>
> I am wondering:
>
> how will you extend a given Pharo application with remote contents (code and
> data) ?
>
> For code, I guess Fuel will be a nice candidate to install remote code in a
> given Pharo Application. But what about data as graphics and sounds. Do we
> some kind of package system for both data and code?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Btw, being unable to browse SmalltlakHub projects is kind of suicide for the
> community.
>
> Hilaire

offTopic - Dragon Box algebra Re: Extending a Pharo App with remote content

Ben Coman
Hi Hilaire,

This is entirely off-topic, but I know you develop on iPad and I am
guessing you are generally interested in Maths teaching...  So I just
want to to tip you on a really unique app that teaches basics of algebra
to kids that my five year old enjoys playing it.   Its called Dragon
Box.  I'm posting to the mail-list in case anyone else with kids finds
it interesting.

cheers -ben

hilaire wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about an educative oriented application to learn math, and I
> would like the application to be extensible with remote contents (from the
> cloud).
>
> I am wondering:
>
> how will you extend a given Pharo application with remote contents (code and
> data) ?
>
> For code, I guess Fuel will be a nice candidate to install remote code in a
> given Pharo Application. But what about data as graphics and sounds. Do we
> some kind of package system for both data and code?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Btw, being unable to browse SmalltlakHub projects is kind of suicide for the
> community.
>
> Hilaire

Re: Extending a Pharo App with remote content

Mariano Martinez Peck
As Stef says, Tanker is a prototype we built to export/import code using Fuel. It showed us great power, like loading whole seaside in 10 seconds. But still, it is an experiment, and there are two or 3 things that should be done/completed so that it could be considered stable. Search in the web, I presented it at ESUG (don't remember which year), Max presented it in PharoConf, etc....

Cheers,

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hilaire

Hilaire have a look at the code updater because it looks on a server for a file and download other files
based on the first tile. you can send a zip file that contains code and fuel object.
In fact .sar file was just a zip file renamed with some code.

You can install sounds in Pharo as object or you can install them as a file using fuel.

Fule can be used to send code but this is more experimental.
Tanker is not ready.

stef

On Sep 27, 2013, at 8:27 PM, hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am thinking about an educative oriented application to learn math, and I
> would like the application to be extensible with remote contents (from the
> cloud).
>
> I am wondering:
>
> how will you extend a given Pharo application with remote contents (code and
> data) ?
>
> For code, I guess Fuel will be a nice candidate to install remote code in a
> given Pharo Application. But what about data as graphics and sounds. Do we
> some kind of package system for both data and code?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Btw, being unable to browse SmalltlakHub projects is kind of suicide for the
> community.
>
> Hilaire

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com