Extending styling to user and session

Janko Mivšek
Hello all,

As you already know Aida has styling (CSS etc.) implemented by class
WebStyle and subclasses, and can be set differently for every website.

What it can be useful is to extend styling not only for websites, but
for users and sessions too. That way we can achieve, for instance, a
personalization of site for each user (to allow him changing a "skin")
and even more generally, for each session. Session style can be
important for guest users and we can adopt styling acording to their
language or location, for instance.

What do you thik about tht idea?

Best regards
Janko

Extending styling to user and session

Nicholas Moore
I think it is a great idea, but I do not have much experience with css,
so can not judge how easy it would be.

By the way, I have a css question: Why do some of the css definitions
start with a '#' (such as #container and #content), and some do not
(such as body and h1)?

Nicholas

? wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As you already know Aida has styling (CSS etc.) implemented by class
> WebStyle and subclasses, and can be set differently for every website.
>
> What it can be useful is to extend styling not only for websites, but
> for users and sessions too. That way we can achieve, for instance, a
> personalization of site for each user (to allow him changing a "skin")
> and even more generally, for each session. Session style can be
> important for guest users and we can adopt styling acording to their
> language or location, for instance.
>
> What do you thik about tht idea?
>
> Best regards
> Janko

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Extending styling to user and session

Stefan Schmiedl
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:08:38 +0100
Nicholas Moore <nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com> wrote:

> I think it is a great idea, but I do not have much experience with css,
> so can not judge how easy it would be.
>
> By the way, I have a css question: Why do some of the css definitions
> start with a '#' (such as #container and #content), and some do not
> (such as body and h1)?

http://www.w3c.org/ and then look at the various CSS docs there.

css1 in less than ten lines:

#whatever  matches an element with unique attribute id="whatever"
.whatever  matches any element with attribute class="whatever"
whatever   matches any element named whatever
foo bar    matches a bar within a foo
foo, bar   matches both foo and bar

h1, #foo, div.bar span  matches all h1, the unique id="foo" and all
                        span's within all div's with class bar

HTH,
s.

Extending styling to user and session

Nicholas Moore
Stefan,

thanks - I am enlightened!

... and btw, also thanks for your first post on 29/6 - I found it very
helpful in setting up Apache forwards to my local image.

Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:08:38 +0100
> Nicholas Moore <nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com> wrote:
>

>> I think it is a great idea, but I do not have much experience with css,
>> so can not judge how easy it would be.
>>
>> By the way, I have a css question: Why do some of the css definitions
>> start with a '#' (such as #container and #content), and some do not
>> (such as body and h1)?
>>

> http://www.w3c.org/ and then look at the various CSS docs there.
>
> css1 in less than ten lines:
>
> #whatever  matches an element with unique attribute id="whatever"
> .whatever  matches any element with attribute class="whatever"
> whatever   matches any element named whatever
> foo bar    matches a bar within a foo
> foo, bar   matches both foo and bar
>
> h1, #foo, div.bar span  matches all h1, the unique id="foo" and all
>                         span's within all div's with class bar
>
> HTH,
> s.

*Nicholas Moore
Limoges
France*

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Extending styling to user and session

Stefan Schmiedl
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:14:30 +0100
Nicholas Moore <nicholas.moore at tsr-i.com> wrote:

> thanks - I am enlightened!

well, that's the way I have been using css1 for years.
css2 and 2.1 offer more options but would take much longer
to describe :-)

> ... and btw, also thanks for your first post on 29/6 - I found it very
> helpful in setting up Apache forwards to my local image.

Glad to be of service.
s.