Extending the Pier User Data Model

Joel Turnbull

I'm trying to find the best way to add a collection into the Pier user
data model.

I located this advice:

"For adding properties like first name, last name and email to a user
the easiest way is to add some Magritte descriptions to PUUser.Add your
new description methods to a new category called something like
*myproject-usermodel so it won't be overwritten when you load new
versions of Pier-Unix-Security from Monticello (the star at the
beginning of the name is essential)."

Can one do this without also adding instance vars in the PUUser class?
And If not, wouldn't those instance vars be overwritten when you load
new versions of Pier-Unix-Security?

In my case it also applies to PUUser>>initialize, which initializes my
empty collection. Won't that be overwritten?

Am I going about this the wrong way?

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Extending the Pier User Data Model

keith1y

> Can one do this without also adding instance vars in the PUUser class?
> And If not, wouldn't those instance vars be overwritten when you load
> new versions of Pier-Unix-Security?
PUUser is a PRObject which has a properties dictionary, so you can store
your new data in there.

Keith

Keith Hodges wrote:

>> Can one do this without also adding instance vars in the PUUser class?
>> And If not, wouldn't those instance vars be overwritten when you load
>> new versions of Pier-Unix-Security?
>>
> PUUser is a PRObject which has a properties dictionary, so you can store
> your new data in there.
>
> Keith

Thanks!

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment