Extending widgets

1 message Options

Extending widgets

Charles Adams
I make some changes to existing widgets. Some changes are simple, added
attributes. Some are wholesale behavioral changes. For the former, I
typically override the existing widget code. For the latter, I subclass and
create my own widget.

Two questions:

1. Does VW 7.4 allow for adding a single attribute to a widget without
overriding? By this I mean, if I want to add an attribute to Combo Box, I
currently change UILookPolicy>>comboBox:into:, ComboBoxSpec
class>>basicEditSpec and perhaps one or two other items.

2. Will this be easier to do in Pollock?

I realize that if I were to build a CustomComboBox and all the attendant
classes then I would not be overriding anything. Perhaps I'm being lazy. By
the same token, I wonder if maybe I'm missing something.

Charlie Adams