External Applicaion question

Bruno Brasesco
Hi All,

I want to open anExternalApplication (example a Rational Rose file or
another) and when this file is updated (by the user inside the Rose) I want
to know it (inside Dolphin).

Something like that:

myFile := ShellLibrary default shellOpen: 'c:\RoseModel.mdl'.
"now the user has a Rose application opened, and the user modify the rose
file but the user do not save the file to disk"
"now I want to know if the rose file was modified, but know it inside
Dolphin "

myFile wasUpdated "answer wheter the receiver was updated"

But in this code myFile is anExternalHandle, and does not understand
#wasUpdated.

I'm trying to find out this.

Any help.

Best Regards
Bruno Brasesco

Re: External Applicaion question

Christopher J. Demers
Bruno Brasesco <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:9ebno5$22euk$[hidden email]...
> I want to open anExternalApplication (example a Rational Rose file or
> another) and when this file is updated (by the user inside the Rose) I
want
> to know it (inside Dolphin).
>
> myFile := ShellLibrary default shellOpen: 'c:\RoseModel.mdl'.
> "now the user has a Rose application opened, and the user modify the rose
> file but the user do not save the file to disk"
> "now I want to know if the rose file was modified, but know it inside
> Dolphin "

I don't think this can be done without the file being saved.  If the file is
saved you can check the file dates easily.  However if you just want to know
if the file is changed from within another program but it is not saved then
I do not think there is any standard way for Dolphin to know this.  I am not
familiar with that application, perhaps there is some application specific
trick you could use (looking for a temp file or registry setting or
something else).

I think you might want to see if this program exposes an ActiveX object
model.  You could use that for automation, and there might be some kind of
modification flag or event that you could use.  This would also probably
give you direct access to the file that was loaded as well.

Chris

Re: External Applicaion question

Bruno Brasesco
> I don't think this can be done without the file being saved.  If the file
is
> saved you can check the file dates easily.  However if you just want to
know
> if the file is changed from within another program but it is not saved
then
> I do not think there is any standard way for Dolphin to know this.  I am
not

> familiar with that application, perhaps there is some application specific
> trick you could use (looking for a temp file or registry setting or
> something else).
>
> I think you might want to see if this program exposes an ActiveX object
> model.  You could use that for automation, and there might be some kind of
> modification flag or event that you could use.  This would also probably
> give you direct access to the file that was loaded as well.
>
> Chris

I think may be there's a way with OLE Automation, I'll find out.
Any ony have any idea ?

Best Regards
Bruno Brasesco