ExtraCatalogs and XliffToolbox is quite nice for localization

ExtraCatalogs and XliffToolbox is quite nice for localization

Alan Wostenberg
I recently used the ExtraCatalogs and XliffToobox in the Cincom Public Store repository to localize an application (http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/publicRepository/ExtraCatalogs.html). Is anybody else using this little gem?

This is a nice solution to a real problem: how to extract UserMessages from the image, in a form that is convenient for human translators to work with.  The toolbox emits Xliff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLIFF) which is an industry norm, and our translators knew right away how to consume and produce it.  The XliffToolbox extracts UserMessages in their various forms to write the Xliff and is a good example of how to traverse source code using the a visitor pattern. The ExtraCatalogs reads the Xliff strings into the runtime image so you can display the english, Spanish, French, etc. according to the Locale.

If you have a need to localize the user messages in your application, check out ExtraCatalogs. Kudos to Travis Griggs and Randy Coulman for putting it together, and writing up some introductory material here http://bit.ly/cJZhqc and here http://bit.ly/bSOUGr

People of Cincom: has any thought been given to including ExtraCatalogs in the standard product build? Consider this my nomination to do just that!

-Alan Wostenberg

Re: ExtraCatalogs and XliffToolbox is quite nice for localization

Steven Kelly
If XliffToolbox traverses the source code to extract UserMessages, maybe there is / could be something similar that traverses the source code and replaces fixed strings with UserMessages? Obviously naïve replacement would be wrong some of the time, but with a few heuristics I'd guess >90% accuracy for most code bases (and 100% for the main things like windowSpecs, menus, tooltips, Dialog warn: calls). That would be a big help when starting out localizing.

Steve

Georg Heeg
Steve,

There has been a package called I18N which does the job for a long time.

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812
Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712