FAMIX question

camille teruel
Hello everyone,

How would you model a script (batch, shell or in the the case I am interested in, a JCL script) in FAMIX?
Does it make sense to use FAMIXModule or should I create a new entity for this purpose?

Thank you
Camille Teruel

Re: FAMIX question

Nicolas Anquetil

to expand on Camille's question, we are having fun here modeling cobol
programs.

So currently for example, cobol programs are modeled as modules which
fits our need for now, but is kind of uncomfortable semantically:
Modules are scoping entities they were not planned to have behavior.
Of course Cobol programs do have behavior (it can be modeled as
functions inside the module).

Also if we model shellscripts as modules, we will have modules that can
be cobol programs or shell scripts. Not very satisfying, again.

And how to model cobol program calls from the shell scripts?
The closest thing would be Invocations, but they are really tailored to
method calls (e.g. with a sender and again they won't work with modules
but only behavioural entities)

So in summary, I think there are two questions:
- the current Famix model targets essentially OO languages (more
specifically Smalltalk and java), how can we best model procedural languages
- how to strike the right balance between a generic metamodel and a
detailed one ?

nice questinos, we though you could be interested in discussing ...

nicolas

On 15/10/12 14:57, wam wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> How would you model a script (batch, shell or in the the case I am interested in, a JCL script) in FAMIX?
> Does it make sense to use FAMIXModule or should I create a new entity for this purpose?
>
> Thank you
> Camille Teruel

cbc

Re: FAMIX question

cbc
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Nicolas Anquetil
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> to expand on Camille's question, we are having fun here modeling cobol
> programs.

<snip>

Hi Nicolas,

Do you have a COBOL parser that you could share?  and/or point me to a
reasonable one to use?  I'm in the midst of a project where I get to
parse lots of languages (Java, Smalltalk, SQL, COBOL, probably a
smattering of others), and any help I can get on the parsing (and AST
build-up) for these languages, I would really appreciate.  Especially
the Cobol, having never actually written any of it (although I can
kinda read it).

Thanks,
Chris