FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator

Pharo image: Pharo 1.0

In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.

I changed the following method:
MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on: '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
                [:directory |
                self new directory: directory]

How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find this helpful?

Sean DeNigris
Cheers,
Sean

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:00 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>
> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>
> I changed the following method:
> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
> ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
> [:directory |
> self new directory: directory]
>
> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
> this helpful?

it would be good to be able to
        either choose to have one local cache on the side of the image
        or one shared among image - this implies a way to store and set it up
                => probably a class variable + a setting in 1.1

> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Michael Roberts-2
Regarding sharing a package cache, I made a change a while ago that
searches up the directory tree to see if there is one higher up. You
then don't have to change the fresh image. What do you think?

Cheers
mike

On Tuesday, April 20, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:00 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>

>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
>>
>> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>>
>> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
>> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
>> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>>
>> I changed the following method:
>> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>>       ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
>> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>>               [:directory |
>>               self new directory: directory]
>>
>> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
>> this helpful?
>
> it would be good to be able to
>         either choose to have one local cache on the side of the image
>         or one shared among image - this implies a way to store and set it up
>                 => probably a class variable + a setting in 1.1
>>
>> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Stéphane Ducasse
for example or just choosing it using settings.

Stef
PS: one of these dasy we will need to be able to use environment variables

On Apr 20, 2010, at 9:25 AM, Michael Roberts wrote:

> Regarding sharing a package cache, I made a change a while ago that
> searches up the directory tree to see if there is one higher up. You
> then don't have to change the fresh image. What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> mike
>
> On Tuesday, April 20, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:00 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>>

>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
>>>
>>> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>>>
>>> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
>>> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
>>> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>>>
>>> I changed the following method:
>>> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>>>       ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
>>> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>>>               [:directory |
>>>               self new directory: directory]
>>>
>>> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
>>> this helpful?
>>
>> it would be good to be able to
>>        either choose to have one local cache on the side of the image
>>        or one shared among image - this implies a way to store and set it up
>>                => probably a class variable + a setting in 1.1
>>>
>>> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Chris Muller-3
Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?

Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
weight..

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>
> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>
> I changed the following method:
> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>                [:directory |
>                self new directory: directory]
>
> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
> this helpful?
>
> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Michael Roberts-2
i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.

certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.

thanks,
Mike

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
> directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
>
> Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
> So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
> weight..
>

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
>>
>> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>>
>> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
>> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
>> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>>
>> I changed the following method:
>> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
>> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>>                [:directory |
>>                self new directory: directory]
>>
>> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
>> this helpful?
>>
>> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'll give you my use case:
I share my projects among a few images, and I like to keep them in sub-directories like:
/path/to/repositories/project-1/
/path/to/repositories/project-2/
/path/to/repositories/project-3/
So each one of these is a separate, unrelated repository in a common parent directory for ease of finding.

So when I +Repository to each image, I have to navigate from the default directory to my repository for each new repository.  If I can pick a start directory once as a setting, I can add new project's sub-directory or open them without any navigation.

Does that make sense?

Sean

On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:33 PM, "Chris Muller-3 [via Smalltalk]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?

Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
weight..

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>
> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>
> I changed the following method:
> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>                [:directory |
>                self new directory: directory]
>
> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
> this helpful?
>
> Sean DeNigris

Sean

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Dale
Sean,

Don't know if this has already mentioned, but you can programmatically add Directory repositories as follows:

| repo |
{'/path/to/repositories/project-1/'. '/path/to/repositories/project-2/'.
 '/path/to/repositories/project-3/'. } do: [:path |
  repo := MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
        (FileDirectory on: path).
  MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository: repo ].

----- "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I'll give you my use case:
| I share my projects among a few images, and I like to keep them in
| sub-
| directories like:
| /path/to/repositories/project-1/
| /path/to/repositories/project-2/
| /path/to/repositories/project-3/
| So each one of these is a separate, unrelated repository in a common
|
| parent directory for ease of finding.
|
| So when I +Repository to each image, I have to navigate from the
| default directory to my repository for each new repository.  If I can
|
| pick a start directory once as a setting, I can add new project's sub-
|
| directory or open them without any navigation.
|
| Does that make sense?
|
| Sean
|
| On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:33 PM, "Chris Muller-3 [via Smalltalk]"
| <[hidden email]
|  > wrote:
|
| > Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
| > directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
| >
| > Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
| > So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
| > weight..
| >

| > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
|
| > wrote:
| >

| > > http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
| > >
| > > Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
| > >
| > > In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select
| > "directory,"
| > > I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
| > > repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over
| > and over.
| > >
| > > I changed the following method:
| > > MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
| > >        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory
| on:
| > > '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
| > >                [:directory |
| > >                self new directory: directory]
| > >
| > > How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone
|
| > else find
| > > this helpful?
| > >
| > > Sean DeNigris
| > > --
|
| > directory repositories, click here.

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> Don't know if this has already mentioned, but you can
> programmatically add Directory repositories as follows:

Yes, thanks.  I already fixed my image, and it made my life easier, so
I wanted to contribute!

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

we should add that to the pharo book :)

On Apr 21, 2010, at 2:42 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Sean,
>
> Don't know if this has already mentioned, but you can programmatically add Directory repositories as follows:
>
> | repo |
> {'/path/to/repositories/project-1/'. '/path/to/repositories/project-2/'.
> '/path/to/repositories/project-3/'. } do: [:path |
>  repo := MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
> (FileDirectory on: path).
>  MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository: repo ].
>
> ----- "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | I'll give you my use case:
> | I share my projects among a few images, and I like to keep them in
> | sub-
> | directories like:
> | /path/to/repositories/project-1/
> | /path/to/repositories/project-2/
> | /path/to/repositories/project-3/
> | So each one of these is a separate, unrelated repository in a common
> |
> | parent directory for ease of finding.
> |
> | So when I +Repository to each image, I have to navigate from the
> | default directory to my repository for each new repository.  If I can
> |
> | pick a start directory once as a setting, I can add new project's sub-
> |
> | directory or open them without any navigation.
> |
> | Does that make sense?
> |
> | Sean
> |
> | On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:33 PM, "Chris Muller-3 [via Smalltalk]"
> | <[hidden email]
> |  > wrote:
> |
> | > Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
> | > directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
> | >
> | > Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
> | > So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
> | > weight..

> | > "directory,"
> | > and over.

> | on:
> | > >                [:directory |

> | > else find

> | > directory repositories, click here.

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

laurent laffont

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.

certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.

On my machine I've written these files:

Author fullName: 'LaurentLaffont'.

MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
(MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
   (FileDirectory on: '/home/laurent/pharo/repository')).

Then

~/bin/pharo:

#!/bin/sh
squeak $1 ~/.pharorc.st

Then I launch my image with:
pharo /path/to/my.image

Author and repository always set for every image. Very emacs-like :)

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

thanks,
Mike

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
> directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
>
> Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
> So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
> weight..
>

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
>>
>> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>>
>> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
>> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
>> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>>
>> I changed the following method:
>> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
>> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>>                [:directory |
>>                self new directory: directory]
>>
>> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
>> this helpful?
>>
>> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Stéphane Ducasse
Cool I will do that too.
Can you create a book entry with that because this is cool :)

Stef

On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:40 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
> and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.
>
> certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.
>

> On my machine I've written these files:
> ~/.pharorc.st
>
> Author fullName: 'LaurentLaffont'.
>
> MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
> (MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
>     (FileDirectory on: '/home/laurent/pharo/repository')).
>
> Then
>
> ~/bin/pharo:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> squeak $1 ~/.pharorc.st
>

> Then I launch my image with:
> pharo /path/to/my.image
>
> Author and repository always set for every image. Very emacs-like :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

> thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
> > directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
> >
> > Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
> > So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
> > weight..
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
> >>
> >> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
> >>
> >> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
> >> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
> >> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
> >>
> >> I changed the following method:
> >> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
> >>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
> >> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
> >>                [:directory |
> >>                self new directory: directory]
> >>
> >> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
> >> this helpful?
> >>
> >> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Michael Roberts-2
That's cool but we should look to resolve the rc file or env variables
in the image then it doesn't rely on correctly configuring the command
line invocation. shouldn't be too hard. I appreciate I hijacked this
thread somewhat....

Cheers mike

On Wednesday, April 21, 2010, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cool I will do that too.
> Can you create a book entry with that because this is cool :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:40 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
>> and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.
>>
>> certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.
>>

>> On my machine I've written these files:
>> ~/.pharorc.st
>>
>> Author fullName: 'LaurentLaffont'.
>>
>> MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
>>               (MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
>>                                (FileDirectory on: '/home/laurent/pharo/repository')).
>>
>> Then
>>
>> ~/bin/pharo:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> squeak $1 ~/.pharorc.st
>>

>> Then I launch my image with:
>> pharo /path/to/my.image
>>
>> Author and repository always set for every image. Very emacs-like :)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>

>> thanks,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
>> > directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
>> >
>> > Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
>> > So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
>> > weight..

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

laurent laffont
Here http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/PharoRC

Can someone adapt it for Windows ?

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

On Apr 21, 2010, at 1:26 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Here http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/PharoRC
>
> Can someone adapt it for Windows ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool I will do that too.
> Can you create a book entry with that because this is cool :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:40 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
> > and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.
> >
> > certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.
> >

> > On my machine I've written these files:
> > ~/.pharorc.st
> >
> > Author fullName: 'LaurentLaffont'.
> >
> > MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
> >               (MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
> >                                (FileDirectory on: '/home/laurent/pharo/repository')).
> >
> > Then
> >
> > ~/bin/pharo:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > squeak $1 ~/.pharorc.st
> >

> > Then I launch my image with:
> > pharo /path/to/my.image
> >
> > Author and repository always set for every image. Very emacs-like :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Laurent Laffont
> >

> > thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
> > > directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
> > >
> > > Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
> > > So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
> > > weight..

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Alexandre Bergel
I added this example in Monticello.tex, section repositories.

Thanks Dale!

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

Chris Muller-3
Environment variables can be interrogated, at least in Linux (perhaps
other OS's, I haven't tried), via OSProcess:

 OSProcess thisOSProcess environment

Hope that helps..

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
> and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.
>
> certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.
>
> thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
>> directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
>>
>> Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
>> So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
>> weight..
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
>>>
>>> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>>>
>>> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
>>> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
>>> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>>>
>>> I changed the following method:
>>> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>>>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
>>> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>>>                [:directory |
>>>                self new directory: directory]
>>>
>>> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
>>> this helpful?
>>>
>>> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

csrabak

 I just submitted some text can you check if it is clear and can be published?

--
Cesar Rabak

Em 21/04/2010 08:26, laurent laffont < [hidden email] > escreveu:
Here http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/PharoRC

Can someone adapt it for Windows ?

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cool I will do that too.
 Can you create a book entry with that because this is cool :)

 Stef

 On Apr 21, 2010, at 8:40 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

 > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Michael Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
 > and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.
 >
 > certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.
 >
 >
 > On my machine I've written these files:
 > ~/.pharorc.st
 >
 > Author fullName: 'LaurentLaffont'.
 >
 > MCRepositoryGroup default addRepository:
 >               (MCDirectoryRepository new directory:
 >                                (FileDirectory on: '/home/laurent/pharo/repository')).
 >
 > Then
 >
 > ~/bin/pharo:
 >
 > #!/bin/sh
 > squeak $1 ~/.pharorc.st
 >
 >
 > Then I launch my image with:
 > pharo /path/to/my.image
 >
 > Author and repository always set for every image. Very emacs-like :)
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Laurent Laffont
 >
 >
 >
 > thanks,
 > Mike
 >
 > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > > Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
 > > directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
 > >
 > > Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
 > > So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
 > > weight..
 > >
 > >
 > > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > >>
 > >> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
 > >>
 > >> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
 > >>
 > >> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
 > >> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
 > >> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
 > >>
 > >> I changed the following method:
 > >> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
 > >>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
 > >> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
 > >>                [:directory |
 > >>                self new directory: directory]
 > >>
 > >> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
 > >> this helpful?
 > >>
 > >> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

csrabak
Provided you install some specific package, right?

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Michael Roberts  wrote:

> i'm not sure what either of you mean. I want there to be no UI choice
> and the system just looks higher up in the file system hierarchy.
>
> certainly environment variables or a .pharorc style file would solve this.
>
> thanks,
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Chris Muller  wrote:
>> Whether the user is required to specify a "default directory" or a
>> directory to a repository, it's the same task isn't it?
>>
>> Once you add it once to MC, it can be "added" to any other package.
>> So this defaultDirectory would seem to be a feature not worth its
>> weight..
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris  wrote:
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2329
>>>
>>> Pharo image: Pharo 1.0
>>>
>>> In Monticello Browser, when I click "+Repository" and select "directory,"
>>> I'd love to be taken right to the directory where I keep my local
>>> repositories, instead of having to click to the same place over and over.
>>>
>>> I changed the following method:
>>> MCDirectoryRepository class>>morphicConfigure
>>>        ^ (UIManager default chooseDirectoryFrom: (FileDirectory on:
>>> '/path/to/my/Repositories')) ifNotNil:
>>>                [:directory |
>>>                self new directory: directory]
>>>
>>> How should I store the default repository directory?  Would anyone else find
>>> this helpful?
>>>
>>> Sean DeNigris

Re: FEATURE: User chooses preferred location for MC directory repositories

David T. Lewis
Yes, the expression "OSProcess thisOSProcess environment" works on
Windows, Mac and Unix/Linux, provided that you have loaded package
OSProcess and have the OSProcessPlugin. On Windows you have to build
your own OSProcessPlugin.

Dave