[FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I've just made a .dmg file for installing Pharo on MacOSX. Please try
it and report problems:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher-Mac-Package/16/artifact/pharo-build/Pharo%203.0.0.dmg

Best,

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

NorbertHartl
Wow! That is really great and it works like with an other application.

Awesome!

Norbert

Am 05.11.2013 um 11:18 schrieb Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I've just made a .dmg file for installing Pharo on MacOSX. Please try
> it and report problems:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher-Mac-Package/16/artifact/pharo-build/Pharo%203.0.0.dmg
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: [FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

Mark Bestley-2
Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just made a .dmg file for installing Pharo on MacOSX. Please try it
> and report problems:
>
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher-Mac-Package/16/ar
> tifact/pharo-build/Pharo%203.0.0.dmg
>
> Best,

On Mavericks on a 2013 Mac Mini. I copied the app to /Applications and
tried to run and got

Pharo.app is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the
Trash

This is due to Gatekeeper I think. I managed to open it by choosing Open
in the right click menu in Finder. see
<http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290> I think you need to sign the app

The Launcher looks for and save images in ~/Library/Preferences/Pharo
This is wrong it should be ~/Library/Application/Support/Pharo for
general use, there is a case for using ~/Library/Containers to fit in
with Apple's sandboxing.  Or better allow us to chnage the directory - I
save images in a Dropbox directory for easy backing up and use on other
machines.

The icons are odd, trying to get a new Pharo 3 image it says hit refresh
icon which took me some time to find. Although I am bad at all icons so
might just be me.

--
Mark

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Mark Bestley <news{@bestley.co.uk> wrote:
> This is due to Gatekeeper I think. I managed to open it by choosing Open
> in the right click menu in Finder. see
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290> I think you need to sign the app

thank you for the reference. I will have a look. I wanted to put the
application on the Mac App Store, but it looks I would have to pay
Apple and I don't want to. Hope your solution doesn't require that.

> The Launcher looks for and save images in ~/Library/Preferences/Pharo
> This is wrong it should be ~/Library/Application/Support/Pharo for
> general use, there is a case for using ~/Library/Containers to fit in
> with Apple's sandboxing.

I wanted to do that already. Thanks for the directory names. Do you
have an url where Apple discusses such directories?

> Or better allow us to chnage the directory

That's on my todo. As always, I need help. This is the kind of change
people can do easily (the preference mechanism is already in place).
So, if you want to hack on the launcher, this would be a good start.

> The icons are odd, trying to get a new Pharo 3 image it says hit refresh
> icon which took me some time to find. Although I am bad at all icons so
> might just be me.

It's not just you. I see 2 solutions:

- have a menu item to refresh when right clicking on the "hit refresh
button" message.
- automatically download the content when expanding the tree.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

Matias Garcia Isaia
Hi there!

Worked like a charm in Mavericks here.

The Pharo Loader looks superb :)

I've installed the app with no trouble, and downloaded the latest Pharo2 image. After launching it, the image showed a notification with this message:

"Information
Pharo cannot locate the sources file named /Applications/PharoV20.sources.

Please check that the file is named properly and is in the
same directory as this image.
Make sure the sources file is not an Alias."

I hope that says to you more than it says to me :)

Feel free to ask for clarification, if you need any.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Mark Bestley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is due to Gatekeeper I think. I managed to open it by choosing Open
> in the right click menu in Finder. see
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290> I think you need to sign the app

thank you for the reference. I will have a look. I wanted to put the
application on the Mac App Store, but it looks I would have to pay
Apple and I don't want to. Hope your solution doesn't require that.

> The Launcher looks for and save images in ~/Library/Preferences/Pharo
> This is wrong it should be ~/Library/Application/Support/Pharo for
> general use, there is a case for using ~/Library/Containers to fit in
> with Apple's sandboxing.

I wanted to do that already. Thanks for the directory names. Do you
have an url where Apple discusses such directories?

> Or better allow us to chnage the directory

That's on my todo. As always, I need help. This is the kind of change
people can do easily (the preference mechanism is already in place).
So, if you want to hack on the launcher, this would be a good start.

> The icons are odd, trying to get a new Pharo 3 image it says hit refresh
> icon which took me some time to find. Although I am bad at all icons so
> might just be me.

It's not just you. I see 2 solutions:

- have a menu item to refresh when right clicking on the "hit refresh
button" message.
- automatically download the content when expanding the tree.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

kilon.alios
I tried on win7 64bit and works like a charm as far i can see, even the problem with launching images has been fixed. Sweet !

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Matias Garcia Isaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there!

Worked like a charm in Mavericks here.

The Pharo Loader looks superb :)

I've installed the app with no trouble, and downloaded the latest Pharo2 image. After launching it, the image showed a notification with this message:

"Information
Pharo cannot locate the sources file named /Applications/PharoV20.sources.

Please check that the file is named properly and is in the
same directory as this image.
Make sure the sources file is not an Alias."

I hope that says to you more than it says to me :)

Feel free to ask for clarification, if you need any.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Mark Bestley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is due to Gatekeeper I think. I managed to open it by choosing Open
> in the right click menu in Finder. see
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290> I think you need to sign the app

thank you for the reference. I will have a look. I wanted to put the
application on the Mac App Store, but it looks I would have to pay
Apple and I don't want to. Hope your solution doesn't require that.

> The Launcher looks for and save images in ~/Library/Preferences/Pharo
> This is wrong it should be ~/Library/Application/Support/Pharo for
> general use, there is a case for using ~/Library/Containers to fit in
> with Apple's sandboxing.

I wanted to do that already. Thanks for the directory names. Do you
have an url where Apple discusses such directories?

> Or better allow us to chnage the directory

That's on my todo. As always, I need help. This is the kind of change
people can do easily (the preference mechanism is already in place).
So, if you want to hack on the launcher, this would be a good start.

> The icons are odd, trying to get a new Pharo 3 image it says hit refresh
> icon which took me some time to find. Although I am bad at all icons so
> might just be me.

It's not just you. I see 2 solutions:

- have a menu item to refresh when right clicking on the "hit refresh
button" message.
- automatically download the content when expanding the tree.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [FEEDBACK] Install Pharo on MacOSX

kilon.alios
just go to system preferences and check to download the sources automatically, that advice worked for me should work for you. Damien I will try the new dmg when I get home, cause all my macs are home.