Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FFI error message: Heisenbug

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I'm working on GSL+callbacks, and have hit a genuine Heisenbug - the behavior changes depending on when/where I break and/or step over or into code.  Callbacks are getting hit successfully(!!!) but there is one function that crashes, unless I step over the call, in which case I get an error.

In particular, if I step far enough into things to see the call, calling gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set() is raising an error (vs. crashing if I don't look<g>) that says 'No module to load address from'.  Anybody know what that means?  I'm using the CogVM on Ubuntu Lucid.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: FFI error message: Heisenbug

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I started asking whether the setter function might somehow not be visible through my wrapper .so.  Running

objdump -T /home/bills/Work2010/gslWrapper/bin/Release/libgslWrapper.so | grep gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set

gives nothing, but my experience has been the wrapper "magically" exports everything from blas and gsl, but I'm not sure how to list all of the exports.

Regardless,

Alien
            lookup:'gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set'
            inLibrary:'libgslWrapper.so'

returns an Alien with a handle, so can I assume that the function is indeed exported by the wrapper?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:36 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] FFI error message: Heisenbug

I'm working on GSL+callbacks, and have hit a genuine Heisenbug - the behavior changes depending on when/where I break and/or step over or into code.  Callbacks are getting hit successfully(!!!) but there is one function that crashes, unless I step over the call, in which case I get an error.

In particular, if I step far enough into things to see the call, calling gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set() is raising an error (vs. crashing if I don't look<g>) that says 'No module to load address from'.  Anybody know what that means?  I'm using the CogVM on Ubuntu Lucid.

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
I started asking whether the setter function might somehow not be visible through my wrapper .so.  Running

objdump -T /home/bills/Work2010/gslWrapper/bin/Release/libgslWrapper.so | grep gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set

gives nothing, but my experience has been the wrapper "magically" exports everything from blas and gsl, but I'm not sure how to list all of the exports.

Regardless,

Alien

returns an Alien with a handle, so can I assume that the function is indeed exported by the wrapper?

yes.  But have you thought to confirm by trying

Alien 
            lookup:'this_is_not_in_the_library'

?

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]

Bill

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Schwab,Wilhelm K

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's the error associated with FFIErrorNoModule, see ExternalFunction class>initializeErrorMessages.  An FFI call will fail with this when it can't find the call address in the first method literal (or when doing ExternalFunction>invokeWithArguments and the receiver doesn't have a call address).

Bill

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
Eliot,

I didn't think of that, but your NotInLibrary() test "works" in that it raises a not-found error.  So it looks like gsl_multifit_fdfsolver_set() is available.

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Eliot Miranda [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] FFI error message: Heisenbug

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

Regardless,

Alien

yes.  But have you thought to confirm by trying

Alien 
            lookup:'this_is_not_in_the_library'

?

Bill

Bill

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
Eliot,

Ok, I'm chewing on that :)  Thanks.

Bill

From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Eliot Miranda [[hidden email]]
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] FFI error message: Heisenbug

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's the error associated with FFIErrorNoModule, see ExternalFunction class>initializeErrorMessages.  An FFI call will fail with this when it can't find the call address in the first method literal (or when doing ExternalFunction>invokeWithArguments and the receiver doesn't have a call address).

Bill

--
best,
Eliot