FFI examples?

Jake Bartlett
I'm trying to use SVMLight (http://svmlight.joachims.org/) from Pharo.  SVMLight has some *.h files I need to load and some *.so libraries.  I need to be able to call functions from them and manage the results.  How do I create a FFI in Pharo?

[jake]

Re: FFI examples?

Stéphane Ducasse
Jake

can you check in the archive of this list because there were a lot of mail on this topic.
We should consolidate that into a couple of page and documentation
Does anybody with experience have a bit of time to get some text for the website
Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Jake Bartlett wrote:

> I'm trying to use SVMLight (http://svmlight.joachims.org/) from Pharo.  SVMLight has some *.h files I need to load and some *.so libraries.  I need to be able to call functions from them and manage the results.  How do I create a FFI in Pharo?
>
> [jake]

Re: FFI examples?

Igor Stasenko
On 17 May 2010 18:35, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jake
>
> can you check in the archive of this list because there were a lot of mail on this topic.
> We should consolidate that into a couple of page and documentation
> Does anybody with experience have a bit of time to get some text for the website
> Stef

I cannot help, because a Jake's question is too generic. I have no
idea what kind of explanations he may require.
Is FFI-Examples not enough to grasp the idea?
Because for me, its so naturally trivial, that i can't understand what
kind of help is needed there.

> On May 17, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Jake Bartlett wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use SVMLight (http://svmlight.joachims.org/) from Pharo.  SVMLight has some *.h files I need to load and some *.so libraries.  I need to be able to call functions from them and manage the results.  How do I create a FFI in Pharo?
>>
>> [jake]

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: FFI examples?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Does anybody with experience have a bit of time to get some text for the website
You read my mind... stop that!

I've been working on this for a few days.  I almost have a summary for more-knowledgeable folks to critique.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: FFI examples?

Stéphane Ducasse

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody with experience have a bit of time to get some text for the
>> website
>>

> You read my mind... stop that!

In another life we did telepathy magicianwith alex and it was fun

> I've been working on this for a few days.  I almost have a summary for
> more-knowledgeable folks to critique.

excellent I'm eager to read that.

> Sean

Re: FFI examples?

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/5/17 Jake Bartlett <[hidden email]>
I'm trying to use SVMLight (http://svmlight.joachims.org/) from Pharo.  SVMLight has some *.h files I need to load and some *.so libraries.  I need to be able to call functions from them and manage the results.  How do I create a FFI in Pharo?

Hi.  The documentation I know about FFI is from Squeak and it is here:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1414

It has little documentation, but it may help to start. You can also browse the example package from the FFI repository.

To install FFI in Pharo, evaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfFFI';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFFI) project version: '1.3') load.

There have been several similar questions. I invite you to read them:

http://forum.world.st/template/NodeServlet.jtp?tpl=search-page&node=1294836&query=FFI

Cheers

Mariano

[jake]