classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FFI without the Pharo sources

Vincent.Blondeau
Hi,

I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.

Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Vincent

winmail.dat (17K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: FFI without the Pharo sources

Ben Coman
On 24 January 2018 at 08:54,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>
> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Vincent

Is removing those files to reduce deployment size?  Or to keep code private?

Just guessing, but you may be able to file-out the FFI definitions,
remove the .changes and .sources files,
then file-in FFI definitons.  You'll end up with a .changes file, but
much smaller.

cheers -ben

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by Vincent.Blondeau

> On 24 Jan 2018, at 01:54, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>
> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>

Hello,

You can embed the sources of just those methods:
-> iterate over all methods, select the FFI methods
-> call #embeddSourceInTrailer on these methods.

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4

> On 24 Jan 2018, at 08:58, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On 24 Jan 2018, at 01:54, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>
>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>
>
> Hello,
>
> You can embed the sources of just those methods:
> -> iterate over all methods, select the FFI methods
> -> call #embeddSourceInTrailer on these methods.
>

We should add later something to the compiler for this, too. Imagine you have your  system without source,
decompiling happily. Then you want to edit a method:
        -> if it was decompiled, just compile and drop source
        -> if the source comes from the trailer, it should again compile a method with embedded source.

I make a note for my TODO.

With Pavel we managed to speed up source reading for methods that have embeddSourceInTrailer quite a lot
(with ideas for even more), I will start to merge these patches, too.

Marcus
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
hi, 

Marcus approach swill work, yes. 
also, my idea was to reproduce what it was present for nativeboost before: 

- a command to search for all ffi calls and add a property of the methods with an array of the argument names
- then modify method installation to look first for this property and take the argument names just if it is not found

only difference is that with NB we searched for a pragma, now we have to search for senders of a list of “ffi methods” #ffiCall: family and #nbCall: family 

to implement this is trivial… is just I didn’t do it ;)

Esteban

On 24 Jan 2018, at 09:31, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 Jan 2018, at 08:58, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 Jan 2018, at 01:54, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.

Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?

Hello,

You can embed the sources of just those methods:
-> iterate over all methods, select the FFI methods
-> call #embeddSourceInTrailer on these methods.

We should add later something to the compiler for this, too. Imagine you have your  system without source,
decompiling happily. Then you want to edit a method:
-> if it was decompiled, just compile and drop source
-> if the source comes from the trailer, it should again compile a method with embedded source.

I make a note for my TODO.

With Pavel we managed to speed up source reading for methods that have embeddSourceInTrailer quite a lot
(with ideas for even more), I will start to merge these patches, too.

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
In reply to this post by Vincent.Blondeau
Hi Vincent,

> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>

One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.

>
> Thanks!
>
> Vincent

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks Vincent we are interested to make the independence on source
much simpler.

Stef

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Vincent,
>
>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>
>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>
> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>
>
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Vincent
>
> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
So if you implement a cool solution we will integrate it immediately :)

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Vincent we are interested to make the independence on source
> much simpler.
>
> Stef
>
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>>
>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>
>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Vincent
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Reply | Threaded
|

Vincent.Blondeau
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2

-----Original Message-----
From: Pharo-dev [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Eliot Miranda
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:09
To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] FFI without the Pharo sources

Hi Vincent,

>
> Hi,
>
>

One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.

Hi Eliot,

Ok. That seems the better solution. But you have to do that for only the FFI methods?

Vincent

>
> Thanks!
>
> Vincent

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:26 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

>
> Hi,
>
>

Hi Eliot,

Ok. That seems the better solution. But you have to do that for only the FFI methods?

Right.  It would be very wasteful to do it for everything.  Also, if there is a Pragma for the FFI information then an even nicer way to do it would be to add a subclass of Pragma, FFIPragma?, and add the tempVars there-in.

Vincent

>
> Thanks!
>
> Vincent

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

>
> Hi,
>
>

Hi Eliot,

Right.  It would be very wasteful to do it for everything.  Also, if there is a Pragma for the FFI information then an even nicer way to do it would be to add a subclass of Pragma, FFIPragma?, and add the tempVars there-in.

Sorry, I don't mean that.  Pgarmas are created when one tries to access a method's pragmas; they are ephemeral.  Instead one could add a subclass of AdditionalMethodState.  AdditionalMethodState holds the messages for pragmas and the properties.  You can use the properties directly; they're a dictionary.  But if you added a subclass, AdditionalFFIMethodState?, it could hold the temp names in an inst var.

Vincent

>
> Thanks!
>
> Vincent

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Vincent.Blondeau

From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Eliot Miranda
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:24

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:21 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Vincent,

>

> Hi,

>

>

Hi Eliot,

Sorry, I don't mean that.  Pgarmas are created when one tries to access a method's pragmas; they are ephemeral.  Instead one could add a subclass of AdditionalMethodState.  AdditionalMethodState holds the messages for pragmas and the properties.  You can use the properties directly; they're a dictionary.  But if you added a subclass, AdditionalFFIMethodState?, it could hold the temp names in an inst var.

Ok Eliot! I put the args in a variable of the additional state for ffi that is created when a ffiCall selector is detected in the method at compilation. I think I could finish tomorrow the accessing to the arguments names when the sources vanishes.

Thanks!

Vincent

Vincent

>

> Thanks!

>

> Vincent

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

--

_,,,^..^,,,_

best, Eliot

--

_,,,^..^,,,_

best, Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Vincent.Blondeau
In reply to this post by Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi,

So, I suggest this solution: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/750

It is a plugin for the OpalCompiler that can be activated with the command "FFICompilerPlugin install."
The plugin is pragma-based to detect the methods where the arguments names should be remembered.
The pragma should be added in the FFI API methods, i.e., the methods that are called by the FFI methods where the arguments have to be remembered.
Example:

This FFI method should remember the name of the argument named "config":

repository_config: config
        ^ self
                call: #(#LGitReturnCodeEnum #git_repository_config #(#LGitConfig #* #config #, #self))
                options: #()

So, the FFI function should wear the pragma <ffiCalloutTranslator>:

call: fnSpec options: options
        <ffiCalloutTranslator>
        ^ (self safeFFICalloutIn: thisContext sender)
                cdecl;
                options: options;
                function: fnSpec module: self ffiLibraryName

To remove to be able to remove the sources (.changes and .sources), you only have to activate the plugin, no recompilation is necessary. You can even import new FFI methods or change the FFI API.

N.B: Users that redefine the FFI API (like TLGitCalloutTrait >> call:options:) also have to wear the pragma.

Cheers,
Vincent

From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stephane Ducasse
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:21

So if you implement a cool solution we will integrate it immediately :)

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Vincent we are interested to make the independence on source
> much simpler.
>
> Stef
>
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Vincent,
>>
>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>>
>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>
>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>>
>>
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Vincent
>>
>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks vincent.
is it the comment of some classes?

Stef

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:12 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, I suggest this solution: https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/750
>
> It is a plugin for the OpalCompiler that can be activated with the command "FFICompilerPlugin install."
> The plugin is pragma-based to detect the methods where the arguments names should be remembered.
> The pragma should be added in the FFI API methods, i.e., the methods that are called by the FFI methods where the arguments have to be remembered.
> Example:
>
> This FFI method should remember the name of the argument named "config":
>
> repository_config: config
>         ^ self
>                 call: #(#LGitReturnCodeEnum #git_repository_config #(#LGitConfig #* #config #, #self))
>                 options: #()
>
> So, the FFI function should wear the pragma <ffiCalloutTranslator>:
>
> call: fnSpec options: options
>         <ffiCalloutTranslator>
>         ^ (self safeFFICalloutIn: thisContext sender)
>                 cdecl;
>                 options: options;
>                 function: fnSpec module: self ffiLibraryName
>
> To remove to be able to remove the sources (.changes and .sources), you only have to activate the plugin, no recompilation is necessary. You can even import new FFI methods or change the FFI API.
>
> N.B: Users that redefine the FFI API (like TLGitCalloutTrait >> call:options:) also have to wear the pragma.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stephane Ducasse
> Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:21
> To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] FFI without the Pharo sources
>
> So if you implement a cool solution we will integrate it immediately :)
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Vincent we are interested to make the independence on source
>> much simpler.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>>>
>>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>>
>>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>> Vincent
>>>
>>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Vincent Blondeau
Now, yes it is. See FFICompilerPlugin :)

Vincent

From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stephane Ducasse
Sent: mardi 30 janvier 2018 23:15
To: Pharo Development List

Thanks vincent.
is it the comment of some classes?

Stef

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:12 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So, I suggest this solution:
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/750
>
> It is a plugin for the OpalCompiler that can be activated with the command "FFICompilerPlugin install."
> The plugin is pragma-based to detect the methods where the arguments names should be remembered.
> The pragma should be added in the FFI API methods, i.e., the methods that are called by the FFI methods where the arguments have to be remembered.
> Example:
>
> This FFI method should remember the name of the argument named "config":
>
> repository_config: config
>         ^ self
>                 call: #(#LGitReturnCodeEnum #git_repository_config #(#LGitConfig #* #config #, #self))
>                 options: #()
>
> So, the FFI function should wear the pragma <ffiCalloutTranslator>:
>
> call: fnSpec options: options
>         <ffiCalloutTranslator>
>         ^ (self safeFFICalloutIn: thisContext sender)
>                 cdecl;
>                 options: options;
>                 function: fnSpec module: self ffiLibraryName
>
> To remove to be able to remove the sources (.changes and .sources), you only have to activate the plugin, no recompilation is necessary. You can even import new FFI methods or change the FFI API.
>
> N.B: Users that redefine the FFI API (like TLGitCalloutTrait >> call:options:) also have to wear the pragma.
>
> Cheers,
> Vincent
>
> From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
> Of Stephane Ducasse
> Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:21
> To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
>
> So if you implement a cool solution we will integrate it immediately
> :)
>
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Vincent we are interested to make the independence on source
>> much simpler.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>
>>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>>>
>>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>>
>>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks!
>>>>
>>>> Vincent
>>>
>>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
I wil merge the PR after the test ran a last time.

> On 31 Jan 2018, at 08:30, Vincent BLONDEAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Now, yes it is. See FFICompilerPlugin :)
>
> Vincent
>
> Sent: mardi 30 janvier 2018 23:15
> To: Pharo Development List
>
> Thanks vincent.
> is it the comment of some classes?
>
> Stef
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:12 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So, I suggest this solution:
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/750
>>
>> It is a plugin for the OpalCompiler that can be activated with the command "FFICompilerPlugin install."
>> The plugin is pragma-based to detect the methods where the arguments names should be remembered.
>> The pragma should be added in the FFI API methods, i.e., the methods that are called by the FFI methods where the arguments have to be remembered.
>> Example:
>>
>> This FFI method should remember the name of the argument named "config":
>>
>> repository_config: config
>>        ^ self
>>                call: #(#LGitReturnCodeEnum #git_repository_config #(#LGitConfig #* #config #, #self))
>>                options: #()
>>
>> So, the FFI function should wear the pragma <ffiCalloutTranslator>:
>>
>> call: fnSpec options: options
>>        <ffiCalloutTranslator>
>>        ^ (self safeFFICalloutIn: thisContext sender)
>>                cdecl;
>>                options: options;
>>                function: fnSpec module: self ffiLibraryName
>>
>> To remove to be able to remove the sources (.changes and .sources), you only have to activate the plugin, no recompilation is necessary. You can even import new FFI methods or change the FFI API.
>>
>> N.B: Users that redefine the FFI API (like TLGitCalloutTrait >> call:options:) also have to wear the pragma.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vincent
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
>> Of Stephane Ducasse
>> Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:21
>> To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-dev] FFI without the Pharo sources
>>
>> So if you implement a cool solution we will integrate it immediately
>> :)
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Vincent we are interested to make the independence on source
>>> much simpler.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>>
>>>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>>>>
>>>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>>>
>>>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>> Vincent
>>>>
>>>> _,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Vincent Blondeau
Thanks Marcus!
It seems that the tests are OK now:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/750

Vincent

Marcus Denker
Sent: mardi 30 janvier 2018 23:40
To: Pharo Development List

I wil merge the PR after the test ran a last time.

> On 31 Jan 2018, at 08:30, Vincent BLONDEAU
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Vincent
>
> From: Pharo-dev [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf
> Of Stephane Ducasse
>
> Thanks vincent.
>
> Stef
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:12 AM,  <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> It is a plugin for the OpalCompiler that can be activated with the
command "FFICompilerPlugin install."
>> The plugin is pragma-based to detect the methods where the arguments
names should be remembered.
>> The pragma should be added in the FFI API methods, i.e., the methods that
are called by the FFI methods where the arguments have to be remembered.
>> Example:
>>
>>
>>        ^ self
>>                call: #(#LGitReturnCodeEnum #git_repository_config
#(#LGitConfig #* #config #, #self))

>>                options: #()
>>
>>
>>        <ffiCalloutTranslator>
>>        ^ (self safeFFICalloutIn: thisContext sender)
>>                cdecl;
>>                options: options;
>>                function: fnSpec module: self ffiLibraryName
>>
>> To remove to be able to remove the sources (.changes and .sources), you
only have to activate the plugin, no recompilation is necessary. You can
even import new FFI methods or change the FFI API.
>>
>> N.B: Users that redefine the FFI API (like TLGitCalloutTrait >>
call:options:) also have to wear the pragma.

>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vincent
>>
>> Of Stephane Ducasse
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> much simpler.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>>
>>>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]>
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And
for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by
removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI
cannot be used anymore.
>>>>>
>>>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix
this issue?
>>>>
>>>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the
compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.

>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>> Vincent
>>>>
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephane Ducasse-3
In reply to this post by Vincent Blondeau
:)

Stef

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Vincent BLONDEAU
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Vincent
>
>
> Thanks vincent.
>
> Stef
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:12 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> It is a plugin for the OpalCompiler that can be activated with the command "FFICompilerPlugin install."
>> The plugin is pragma-based to detect the methods where the arguments names should be remembered.
>> The pragma should be added in the FFI API methods, i.e., the methods that are called by the FFI methods where the arguments have to be remembered.
>> Example:
>>
>>
>>         ^ self
>>                 call: #(#LGitReturnCodeEnum #git_repository_config #(#LGitConfig #* #config #, #self))
>>                 options: #()
>>
>>
>>         <ffiCalloutTranslator>
>>         ^ (self safeFFICalloutIn: thisContext sender)
>>                 cdecl;
>>                 options: options;
>>                 function: fnSpec module: self ffiLibraryName
>>
>> To remove to be able to remove the sources (.changes and .sources), you only have to activate the plugin, no recompilation is necessary. You can even import new FFI methods or change the FFI API.
>>
>> N.B: Users that redefine the FFI API (like TLGitCalloutTrait >> call:options:) also have to wear the pragma.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vincent
>>
>> Of Stephane Ducasse
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> much simpler.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> Hi Vincent,
>>>>
>>>>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 4:54 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I am working to be able to create some standalone apps in Pharo. And for this, I would like to remove of the .sources and .changes. But, by removing them, the args names are reset to arg1, arg2, arg3, ... and the FFI cannot be used anymore.
>>>>>
>>>>> Does someone (Esteban?) have a solution that I could implement to fix this issue?
>>>>
>>>> One avenue that should be easy to implement would be to modify the compiler to save the temporary names as a property of the method.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>> Vincent
>>>>
>>
>
>
>