FIX FFI Mac Examples

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Fixed FFI-MacOS-Examples for Mac OS X v6.2 and VM 4.2.4 beta.

Including:
* added class comments, including one about external library search paths under Snow Leopard
* changed module names to framework names (for OS X) - per http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2426: "InterfaceLib which is the shared library linked into the Squeak VM for Classic Applications. CarbonLib is the library for Carbon applications, however if you are using the mach-o based VMs under OS-X it's again different, you need to specify the framework the routine is in"

No write access - here's the file FFI-MacOS-spd.5.mcz

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: FIX FFI Mac Examples

Andreas.Raab
Now in http://source.squeak.org/FFI.
And thanks for adding the class comments!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 5/16/2010 7:48 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Fixed FFI-MacOS-Examples for Mac OS X v6.2 and VM 4.2.4 beta.
>
> Including:
> * added class comments, including one about external library search paths
> under Snow Leopard
> * changed module names to framework names (for OS X) - per
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2426: "InterfaceLib which is the shared
> library linked into the Squeak VM for Classic Applications. CarbonLib is the
> library for Carbon applications, however if you are using the mach-o based
> VMs under OS-X it's again different, you need to specify the framework the
> routine is in"
>
> No write access - here's the file
> http://n4.nabble.com/file/n2219034/FFI-MacOS-spd.5.mcz FFI-MacOS-spd.5.mcz
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: FIX FFI Mac Examples

Edgar De Cleene

On 5/17/10 3:01 AM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now in http://source.squeak.org/FFI.
> And thanks for adding the class comments!
>
> Cheers,
>    - Andreas

Using last FFI-Kernel-jcg.17 lacks ExternalType and ExternalStructure of
your old FFI-Kernel-ar.7 which until now I use in all FFI related.

Also, once FFI-MacOS-spd.5 loads , none of Mac examples works for me in
Leopard 10.5.8.

Any feedback ?

Edgar

Re: FIX FFI Mac Examples

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Edgar J. De Cleene-3 wrote
Also, once FFI-MacOS-spd.5 loads , none of Mac examples works for me in
Leopard 10.5.8.
What specifically happened when you tried the examples?
I just:
1. installed the files in a clean 4.2#10145 image from the above source.squeak.org/FFI.
2. In workspace, doit: MacOSShell new system: 'open ''http://google.com'''

And Safari opened a new window.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: FIX FFI Mac Examples

Edgar De Cleene

On 5/17/10 12:13 PM, "Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Also, once FFI-MacOS-spd.5 loads , none of Mac examples works for me in
>> Leopard 10.5.8.
>>

> What specifically happened when you tried the examples?
> I just:
> 1. installed the files in a clean 4.2#10145 image from the above
> source.squeak.org/FFI.
> 2. In workspace, doit: MacOSShell new system: 'open ''http://google.com'''
>
> And Safari opened a new window.
>
> HTH,
> Sean
The examples was the old MacRect coloredEllipses and MacRect
coloredRectangles.

Once I exchange emails with John about this and do another examples using
old QuickDraw (attached)
Off course this do not work this days.
And I try the X11Display coloredEllipses and X11Display coloredRectangles on
Ubuntu with last Unix VM with same error.

I remember this once works and was very quick.
Could be nice have equivalent versions working for current OS (Mac, Linux,
Windows)

Edgar

FFI-Examples-MacOSX.st (68K) Download Attachment
FFI-Examples-MacOSX.st (31K) Download Attachment

Re: FIX FFI Mac Examples

Josh Gargus

I'm not sure what you're talking about... when I use Monticello to "Browse" FFI-Kernel-jcg.17 in http://source.squeak.org/FFI, I see the classes ExternalType and ExternalStructure there.  They're also in my image when I load it.  Are you saying that those classes are missing for you?

> Also, once FFI-MacOS-spd.5 loads , none of Mac examples works for me in
> Leopard 10.5.8.

I see this also.  I also tried with -ar.3, and those don't work for me either (OS X 10.6.3).

Cheers,
Josh

> Any feedback ?
>
> Edgar

Re: FIX FFI Mac Examples

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Josh Gargus wrote
I see this also.  I also tried with -ar.3, and those don't work for me either (OS X 10.6.3).
If nothing (I know MacOSShell works) is working on Snow Leopard, see the WARNING I put in the example class comment - don't remember which one.  It has a workaround for the way FFI works on 10.6.

The QuickDraw library depreciated and not the current mac way.  I did not update it, just commented as depreciated with appropriate references, and changed the module names so there was no error.

And, if someone good with Mac programming updated the Quickdraw stuff, that would be awesome.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean