FMSound bass1 play

stephane ducasse
Hi guys

I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
But I cannot make

        FMSound bass1 play
 produce a sound.

Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
Can you summarize your findings?

Re: FMSound bass1 play

stephane ducasse
The problem was that I had my headset plugged in and not on my ears => just one hour to find that is the indication that I should better go to sleep.

Stef

On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:21 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
> But I cannot make
>
> FMSound bass1 play
> produce a sound.
>
> Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
> Can you summarize your findings?
>
> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

stephane ducasse
but

Beeper primitiveBeep

still does not work

Stef

On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:05 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The problem was that I had my headset plugged in and not on my ears => just one hour to find that is the indication that I should better go to sleep.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:21 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
>> But I cannot make
>>
>> FMSound bass1 play
>> produce a sound.
>>
>> Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
>> Can you summarize your findings?
>>
>> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

philippeback
Will have a look at my notes.

Phil

2013/3/9 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> The problem was that I had my headset plugged in and not on my ears => just one hour to find that is the indication that I should better go to sleep.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:21 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
>> But I cannot make
>>
>>       FMSound bass1 play
>> produce a sound.
>>
>> Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
>> Can you summarize your findings?
>>
>> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

philippeback
Never got that working on iOS. Obvious since:

- (void) ioBeep {
#ifdef BUILD_FOR_OSX
    NSBeep();
#endif
}

On OSX

From docs:

http://cocoadev.com/wiki/NSBeep

NSBeep() plays the system beep that the users have defined in the
Sound Panel of the System Preferences.

If sound effects aren't activated in there, no beep.

On a 2.0 image the Beeper primitiveBeep works perfectly with a VM
build from sources on 15/02/2013.

Phil

2013/3/9 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> but
>
> Beeper primitiveBeep
>
> still does not work
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:05 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The problem was that I had my headset plugged in and not on my ears => just one hour to find that is the indication that I should better go to sleep.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:21 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
>>> But I cannot make
>>>
>>>      FMSound bass1 play
>>> produce a sound.
>>>
>>> Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
>>> Can you summarize your findings?
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

stephane ducasse
thanks!
Latest version from yesterday does not work on my mac.

On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:30 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Never got that working on iOS. Obvious since:
>
> - (void) ioBeep {
> #ifdef BUILD_FOR_OSX
>    NSBeep();
> #endif
> }
>

> On OSX
>
> From docs:
>
> http://cocoadev.com/wiki/NSBeep
>
> NSBeep() plays the system beep that the users have defined in the
> Sound Panel of the System Preferences.
>
> If sound effects aren't activated in there, no beep.
>
> On a 2.0 image the Beeper primitiveBeep works perfectly with a VM
> build from sources on 15/02/2013.
>
> Phil
>
> 2013/3/9 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> but
>>
>> Beeper primitiveBeep
>>
>> still does not work
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:05 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The problem was that I had my headset plugged in and not on my ears => just one hour to find that is the indication that I should better go to sleep.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

stephane ducasse
In fact I get really unpredictable behavior.

Sometimes I can produce a sound sometimes not.

SoundService default soundEnabled: true

I'm puzzled
Stef

On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:21 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
> But I cannot make
>
> FMSound bass1 play
> produce a sound.
>
> Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
> Can you summarize your findings?
>
> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

philippeback
SoundService and all that looks like in need of some refactoring at the moment.

Here is what I do and it appears to work:

in my app initialize

  BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
  BaseSoundSystem initialize.

  soundbank := Dictionary new.
  soundbank add: #rightAnswer -> FMSound flute1.
  soundbank add: #wrongAnswer -> FMSound bassoon1.
  soundbank add: #clearAnswer -> FMSound marimba.

and to play:

   (soundbank at: aSoundSymbol) play.

Works fine.

Phil

2013/3/10 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> In fact I get really unpredictable behavior.
>
> Sometimes I can produce a sound sometimes not.
>
> SoundService default soundEnabled: true
>
> I'm puzzled
> Stef
>
> On Mar 9, 2013, at 10:21 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I'm migrating the package Sound and MorphicSound to Pharo2.0 and SmalltalkHub.
>> But I cannot make
>>
>>       FMSound bass1 play
>> produce a sound.
>>
>> Phil if i remember correctly you worked on that a couple of months ago.
>> Can you summarize your findings?
>>
>> Stef

Re: FMSound bass1 play

stephane ducasse
I tried

BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
BaseSoundSystem initialize.
FMSound marimba play

with pharo2.0 and the latest vm but it does not on my mac.
I will see esteban soon.
Stef