FW: Code Shopping Support in Squeak

1 message Options

FW: Code Shopping Support in Squeak

jWarrior
This message was posted on the Squeak list by Dan Shafer.  It's an
excellent metaphor.

Code Shopping Support in Squeak

Back when Parc Place was a new company, I interviewed Adele Goldberg for a
profile. I remember asking her what the programming process in Smalltalk
felt
like. She paused for a few moments and then said something like, "I spend a
significant part of my programming time doing code-shopping, looking for
existing methods that do a particular thing I need to do." When I asked how
she
did that, she gave me a couple of tips about searching for methods, then
said,
"Most of the time, I open my door and yell down the hallway, 'Hey! Anybody
got
a method that does this?'"

I am at least vaguely aware that Squeak has implemented some coolness that
allows us to find methods a tad more effectively than in the past. It would
be
a great boon to the community if someone would point them out. I'd be happy
return the favor by following up and writing something on the topic for the
Swiki.