[FYI] Athens tutorial

12

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko

On 10 April 2013 09:14, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

2013/4/9 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
Yes, this is a known bug actually, which i demonstrated to audience during
tutorial presentation..
i/cairo miss the correct font matrix setup.. and i need to see what's there.
Cairo caching the glyphs in a strange way (so if you never drawn
anything with given font before and your first drawing will use some rotation
then everything will be rendered correctly, but if you already drawn anything
it will render them like you shown)..
I'm going to fix that issue when i come back from Lviv.

Super :)

Did you also see the cairo_text_path() method? It's very interesting if you want to stroke the letter!

Yes but this is more for fancy artistic text. For rendering large amounts of text (like big lists/source code) you don't want to do that,
because it will be too slow.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Tristan Bourgois-2

2013/4/10 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>

[...]

Thanks for the advice I will share it to my team because they want performance and use text_path  instead of show_text.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
On 11 April 2013 08:55, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/4/10 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>

>> On 10 April 2013 09:14, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Super :)
>>>
>>> Did you also see the cairo_text_path() method? It's very interesting if
>>> you want to stroke the letter!
>>

>> Yes but this is more for fancy artistic text. For rendering large amounts
>> of text (like big lists/source code) you don't want to do that,
>> because it will be too slow.
>>

> Thanks for the advice I will share it to my team because they want
> performance and use text_path  instead of show_text.

yes, the freetype library (and i guess you using it) is highly
optimized for font rendering.
sure thing, cairo path rendering is fast as well, but it is not as
specialized for just font rendering as freetype,
therefore, i have no doubts that it will be slower.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Tristan Bourgois-2

2013/4/11 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
On 11 April 2013 08:55, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/4/10 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>

>> On 10 April 2013 09:14, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Super :)
>>>
>>> Did you also see the cairo_text_path() method? It's very interesting if
>>> you want to stroke the letter!
>>

>> Yes but this is more for fancy artistic text. For rendering large amounts
>> of text (like big lists/source code) you don't want to do that,
>> because it will be too slow.
>>

> Thanks for the advice I will share it to my team because they want
> performance and use text_path  instead of show_text.

yes, the freetype library (and i guess you using it) is highly
optimized for font rendering.
sure thing, cairo path rendering is fast as well, but it is not as
specialized for just font rendering as freetype,
therefore, i have no doubts that it will be slower.

I only use Athens to rendering the graphics framework :) And I try to not use directly some AthensCairo object to benefit of futur new backend of Athens :) and sincerely you really make a good job of the Athens interface! It's very easy to use it! In one case I use AthensCairo object. I have to use AthensCairoMatrix instead of AthensAffineTransform to represent the transformation of a shape because I have to make an inversion of the matrix to make a global position to the local position of the shape.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
On 11 April 2013 10:44, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/4/11 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 11 April 2013 08:55, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the advice I will share it to my team because they want
>> > performance and use text_path  instead of show_text.
>> >

>> yes, the freetype library (and i guess you using it) is highly
>> optimized for font rendering.
>> sure thing, cairo path rendering is fast as well, but it is not as
>> specialized for just font rendering as freetype,
>> therefore, i have no doubts that it will be slower.
>>

> I only use Athens to rendering the graphics framework :) And I try to not
> use directly some AthensCairo object to benefit of futur new backend of
> Athens :) and sincerely you really make a good job of the Athens interface!
> It's very easy to use it! In one case I use AthensCairo object. I have to
> use AthensCairoMatrix instead of AthensAffineTransform to represent the
> transformation of a shape because I have to make an inversion of the matrix
> to make a global position to the local position of the shape.

Ah, you mean this:

AthensAffineTransform>>inverted
        "answer an inverse transformation of receiver"
        self notYetImplemented

yes, someone has to implement it ;)

But actually you can just use #inverseTransform: aPoint

i.e. if:

pt := m transform: somePoint.

then

somePoint closeTo: (m inverseTransform: pt)  ==> true.

(close to instead of #= because of float rounding errors)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Tristan Bourgois-2

2013/4/11 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
On 11 April 2013 10:44, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/4/11 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 11 April 2013 08:55, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the advice I will share it to my team because they want
>> > performance and use text_path  instead of show_text.
>> >

>> yes, the freetype library (and i guess you using it) is highly
>> optimized for font rendering.
>> sure thing, cairo path rendering is fast as well, but it is not as
>> specialized for just font rendering as freetype,
>> therefore, i have no doubts that it will be slower.
>>

> I only use Athens to rendering the graphics framework :) And I try to not
> use directly some AthensCairo object to benefit of futur new backend of
> Athens :) and sincerely you really make a good job of the Athens interface!
> It's very easy to use it! In one case I use AthensCairo object. I have to
> use AthensCairoMatrix instead of AthensAffineTransform to represent the
> transformation of a shape because I have to make an inversion of the matrix
> to make a global position to the local position of the shape.

Ah, you mean this:

AthensAffineTransform>>inverted
        "answer an inverse transformation of receiver"
        self notYetImplemented

yes, someone has to implement it ;)

If the weather is bad at Brest this week-end I will try to implement it :)
(My last lesson of Matrix calculation is very old!)

But actually you can just use #inverseTransform: aPoint

i.e. if:

pt := m transform: somePoint.

then

somePoint closeTo: (m inverseTransform: pt)  ==> true.

(close to instead of #= because of float rounding errors)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Mariano Vicente
Hi guys.  After install the Athen's tutorial, I have had some error in the image:

Segmentation fault Fri Apr 26 03:59:42 2013

There is a problem over the image or my vm?
​ ​
I added the full log in the attached,​

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

2013/4/11 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
On 11 April 2013 10:44, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2013/4/11 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 11 April 2013 08:55, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> > Thanks for the advice I will share it to my team because they want
>> > performance and use text_path  instead of show_text.
>> >

>> yes, the freetype library (and i guess you using it) is highly
>> optimized for font rendering.
>> sure thing, cairo path rendering is fast as well, but it is not as
>> specialized for just font rendering as freetype,
>> therefore, i have no doubts that it will be slower.
>>

> I only use Athens to rendering the graphics framework :) And I try to not
> use directly some AthensCairo object to benefit of futur new backend of
> Athens :) and sincerely you really make a good job of the Athens interface!
> It's very easy to use it! In one case I use AthensCairo object. I have to
> use AthensCairoMatrix instead of AthensAffineTransform to represent the
> transformation of a shape because I have to make an inversion of the matrix
> to make a global position to the local position of the shape.

Ah, you mean this:

AthensAffineTransform>>inverted
        "answer an inverse transformation of receiver"
        self notYetImplemented

yes, someone has to implement it ;)

If the weather is bad at Brest this week-end I will try to implement it :)
(My last lesson of Matrix calculation is very old!)

But actually you can just use #inverseTransform: aPoint

i.e. if:

pt := m transform: somePoint.

then

somePoint closeTo: (m inverseTransform: pt)  ==> true.

(close to instead of #= because of float rounding errors)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

log.txt (10K) Download Attachment

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
On 26 April 2013 09:07, Mariano Vicente <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys.  After install the Athen's tutorial, I have had some error in the
> image:
>
> Segmentation fault Fri Apr 26 03:59:42 2013
>
> There is a problem over the image or my vm?
> I added the full log in the attached,

hard to say.
when/how it happens?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Mariano Vicente
​​​​My apologies for the insufficient info.This happens after install the tutorial, when i try to reopen the image
​ where i installed ahtens and the tutorial.​

Saludos,
Mariano

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
On 26 April 2013 12:42, Mariano Vicente <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My apologies for the insufficient info.This happens after install the
> tutorial, when i try to reopen the image
> where i installed ahtens and the tutorial.

ah, ok.
you seem also did the same thing: saved image with tutorial window open :)

Btw, this should be fixed in newer version of tutorial. What package
version you loaded?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
On 26 April 2013 12:47, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26 April 2013 12:42, Mariano Vicente <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> My apologies for the insufficient info.This happens after install the
>> tutorial, when i try to reopen the image
>> where i installed ahtens and the tutorial.
>>

> ah, ok.
> you seem also did the same thing: saved image with tutorial window open :)
>
> Btw, this should be fixed in newer version of tutorial. What package
> version you loaded?

i just committed new version , which now should work.
(but you will still have an error if you try to use surface saved
in previous session).
so you need to create a new one before continuing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Mariano Vicente

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
i just committed new version , which now should work.
(but you will still have an error if you try to use surface saved
in previous session).
so you need to create a new one before continuing.

​Yes, it works. Thank you.​
​​

12